Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beware of this scam but you can have fun with them too.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

I'm not sure if it's true but have been told that a sharp blow of a whistle down the phone will burst the eardrum of the scammer.

I have my whistle ready, alas no call as yet.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'm not sure if it's true but have been told that a sharp blow of a whistle down the phone will burst the eardrum of the scammer.

I'm off out to buy a whistle.

Yep had them try it on me couple of months ago. Knew laptops in the house were fine so decided to play him by asking what the make of the laptop was and when the chap couldn't answer and tried to get off the subject I told him where to go! May take the whistle approach if it happens again though, seems much more fun!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It costs fractions of a penny to call Internationally, so you are really not costing them anything but their inability to scam someone else, which in itself is worthy. :)

You have burst my bubble! As you say, at least their time is wasted.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just got a call this morning. Number came up as 999xxxxxx which alerted me straight away to some con call. Sat for a few minutes wasting their time but had to leave for work. Should have left the phone line open.

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
My best result so far is four different people trying to talk me through all the problems I had, I even got as far as them quoting me to fix my problems on Windows. ALmost an hour later and at which point I revealed my Mac didn't have the problems. At which point "Dave" suddenly started shouting in Indian at me and finished the call calling me a F**ing B*stard and hung up.

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm bored of playing games with them. I think we would all prefer not to get these calls in the first place. What I try and do is get information out of them on how they got my number in the first place.

Companies or individuals in this country are obviously selling on our telephone numbers without our consent. Even if your registered with the TPS they can still call you.

Rules need to change and we should be able to remove our names and numbers from their lists, and these foreign call centres should be fined. They are a pain in the a^&e

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
The last time they called I said (and I'm not kidding): I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

They hung up.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The last time they called I said (and I'm not kidding): I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

They hung up.

Brilliant! In a Liam Neeson mutter too I hope!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Just for wasting a small amount of your time? :facepalm:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
These became basically the only thing I ever got calls on my landline for. Used to enjoy telling them to wait while I started the PC and see how long it took till they disconnected but since I moved house (in November) I've not reattached the phone yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here