Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Brian O'Driscoll for the Lions vs Australia 3rd Test!...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not even on the bench. That's one hell of a call from Gatland, arguably the biggest call I can remember in my 35 years watching rugby.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
We've been very weak at centre with Davies playing out of position at 12 and O'Driscoll being past his best but I never thought he would make that call.

I suppose he thought he'll get slaughtered for playing too many Welsh if we lose anyhow so he might as well go the whole hog!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
A very big call. The only explanation I could come up with is that Gatland thinks that Tuilagi is a bigger threat from the bench. Therefore if Brian O'Driscoll isn't starting, that he isn't in the squad at all.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Given up on trying to play rugby, reverted to 'Gatball' as they say, and picked the players (ie Welsh) that understand how to play it. Not sure how I feel about it, not exactly the 'Lions' thing to do, but if they win??

Still, the Welsh won't be happy until there's 23 of them in the squad....

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
But, there again, I do have a lorra man-love for big Manu (if only he fancied joining Bath...).

Manu+Tuilagi.jpg

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Given up on trying to play rugby, reverted to 'Gatball' as they say, and picked the players (ie Welsh) that understand how to play it. Not sure how I feel about it, not exactly the 'Lions' thing to do, but if they win??

Still, the Welsh won't be happy until there's 23 of them in the squad....

Well I'm a Welsh supporter and I feel uncomfortable about there being so many Welsh in the team.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My biggest worry is that here we are in the 3rd test and end of several weeks together and he doesn't seem to know his best team.

6 changes after 1st test and 8 changes after 2nd ?

I don't really have any reservations about the number of Welsh players in the team. I think every one of his selection decisions are justified. If he'd started with this team in the first Test then questions would rightly have been asked; but he's dropped players that haven't performed, and bought in the next most obvious candidate. Dropping BOD is obviously a big call, but Davies has outperformed him in the games so far. The only other change I might have made would have been playing Tipuric, probably instead of Sean O'Brien because I think we're missing a scavenger in the back row; having said that given that he's dropped two ball-carrying front row forwards (Vunipola and Youngs) for two scrummagers I can understand wanting good ball carriers in there.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
O'Driscoll wasn't that great in the second Test, was he? Isn't it at least 50-50 that Roberts/Tuilagi would be better? Seems the fuss is more about reputation rather than the last match.

It's a big call that has triggered a massive media reaction, but there seems a decent case for the decision on playing grounds.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Davies was the Lions best player before the first test and while he's not been great, O'Driscoll's not been better despite playing in his favoured position and is probably not completely fit enough for a third big game in consecutive weeks ( he probably hasn't played three weekends running for a while). And there's no point having him on the bench, he's not that sort of impact player and can only play one position.

The team itself looks probably the strongest team of the three tests although O'Connely and Warburton will be missed

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Well I'm a Welsh supporter and I feel uncomfortable about there being so many Welsh in the team.

Complete generalisation on my part, clearly should have said 'some welsh fans'.

I'd have no issue with there being 15 welsh in the team (apart from the implication that the England was really bad), if they were the players that could produce the best rugby, but I don't think that's the case even with the ten.... As others have mentioned, the baffling thing is that he clearly hasn't got a clue what his best team is. It's also not the Lions way, the Lions aren't just about winning.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
O'Driscoll wasn't that great in the second Test, was he? Isn't it at least 50-50 that Roberts/Tuilagi would be better? Seems the fuss is more about reputation rather than the last match.

It's a big call that has triggered a massive media reaction, but there seems a decent case for the decision on playing grounds.

Davies was the Lions best player before the first test and while he's not been great, O'Driscoll's not been better despite playing in his favoured position and is probably not completely fit enough for a third big game in consecutive weeks ( he probably hasn't played three weekends running for a while). And there's no point having him on the bench, he's not that sort of impact player and can only play one position.

The team itself looks probably the strongest team of the three tests although O'Connely and Warburton will be missed

Fair assesments. I think Warburton missing is massive.

I really hope they can put in one more massive effort, and prove me wrong - despite the first test win, I was unconvinced by the performance, and backed a 2-1 Australia win @ 11/2. Its only a few quid, which I'd happily 'lose'.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The problem that Gatland has for me is that in the first test we thought we had a reason for all our problems in the refereeing.

Then we play like a pile of poo in the second test mainly I think because the set piece especially the scrum was so weak.

Now in retrospect it looks like he has royally screwed the tour up because not only are the team not playing well but also no-one has really had a good individual game.

So what has gone wrong?

Definitely doesn't feel like he's got the whole squad behind him.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
he's made a big mistake with no welsh on the bench looool

i see even Ian Robertson has called it a 'massive mistake' re O'Driscoll

I am not a big rugby man - but the Welsh have not got a great record against the Aussies. Also I agree with Mikeyjh - it is not just about the winning, and this does not seem to be in the spirit of the Lions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here