Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you cook in your microwave?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly I've been meaning to pose this to the great and good of NSC for a while, but I'm always in the kitchen when I think to ask.

I use the microwave to warm plates, and maybe heat up sweetcorn.

There must be more to a feckin great big metal box, than warming plates?

Tried and tested, on a par with or better than conventional cooker, microwave recipes please.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have never owned a microwave.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
decanted beans and streaming veg. also puddings that are steamed (theres a theme here). and microwave meals, which are alot lot better than they used to be too. find more meat in a Tescos micro wave curry than in many local curry houses.

avoid pastry, or anything expected to be firm or crisp once cooked.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
We use it for warming or tea up, and occasionally heating up ready meals. No proper cooking.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Mainly reheating tea that's gone cold!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, reheating tea.

I spent 3 weeks eating microwave korma and curry when my kitchen was being 'done up' some years ago. Precipitated divirticultis. Haven't cooked with it since.

Aug 23, 2011
You can do a reasonable "poached" egg but you need to place a glass of water in with it to prevent the egg cooking too quickly. Not as good as the proper method but quick and work well on a muffin

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You can do a reasonable "poached" egg but you need to place a glass of water in with it to prevent the egg cooking too quickly. Not as good as the proper method but quick and work well on a muffin

I was about to post that I only use mine for my morning poached eggs when I was hit by your REVELATION.

For me the microwave does an adequate job of the poached eggs. It's not as good as using the saucepan but it's a lot quicker and less of a faff which is important in the mornings.

However, if this glass of water trick actually works then you my friend may well have CHANGED MY LIFE

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
The cat goes in it when the kids rooms are a mess. Lots of tears but tidy rooms. Never had to press the button yet though only set the timer.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Microwave treacle pudding is awesome.

100 g butter
100 g sugar
100 g self raising flour
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons golden syrup

Grease a microwave pudding dish
Place golden syrup into bottom of the pudding dish.
In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar well.
Beat in the eggs one at a time.
Add flour slowly.
Add vanilla.
Pour mixture on top of the golden syrup.
Cover with plastic wrap.
Microwave for 7 1/2 minutes on medium .

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Cheese on toast,toast the bread in the toaster then put the cheese on top and microwave for 22 seconds.

Stat Brother,why don't you warm up the plates by running hot water over them?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We've only just bought one, use it for porridge in the morning (can't be arsed with the mess created by pan) and warming up the occasional leftovers and soup.

Is this really possible?

I cannot poach eggs and if this really works I will buy a microwave.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here