Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] El-Abd WILL stay

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Adam El-Abd is going to reject Ipswich and an offer from Dubai to stay with the Albion.

Source: a current player whose Mercedes is in for an MOT...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
El Abd. Don't you listen?

Boom boom!

The player mentioned his Merc in his profile in the programme last season, on the inside back cover. He allegedly went on to claim it would be announced within the next few days.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Dubai must be hard to turn down, he'd likely earn what his annual salary in a month there.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Great news if true. One of my favourite players. It'll be interesting to see if he can hold down a first team slot ahead of Greer and whoever else comes in.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
El Abd was never going to go to Barnsley anyway, I don't know why anyone feared he would.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I would be tempted by Dubai as well, but he is a married man. He can't do a Karl Fletcher and swan off for the money.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Great news if true. One of my favourite players. It'll be interesting to see if he can hold down a first team slot ahead of Greer and whoever else comes in.

I think it will be interesting to see whether Greer and El-Abd can hold down a first team slot with the change of tactics we will be employing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How l hope that this is true!. Apart from the Gus saga, this is the one thing that's worried me most during the summer. Apart from being my favourite player, (the man bleeds blue & white stripes), he is mega valuable to the team. If, (heaven forbid), he were to leave, he would leave a massive hole in central defence.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I know I'll get slated but I'm quite surprised we're offering him a new deal unless Upson is off elsewhere. Greer and Upson are pretty much guaranteed starters and Lewis Dunk will be pushing himself back into first team contention now all this court case stuff has been sorted I reckon.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I know I'll get slated but I'm quite surprised we're offering him a new deal unless Upson is off elsewhere. Greer ad Upson are pretty much guaranteed starters and Lewis Dunk will be pushing himself back into first team contention now all this court case stuff has been sorted I reckon.

To be honest, that was my reaction. I suspect that either we're investing heavily elsewhere in the team so need a cheap and reliable option to plug a centre back gap, or we're only wanting to spend on one centre back rather than two. Realistically, El-Abd and Greer are good enough at this level, Dunk too. We need a 4th to come in with some pace and/or experience but a left back and a central midfielder/winger would be my priorities.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I know I'll get slated but I'm quite surprised we're offering him a new deal unless Upson is off elsewhere. Greer ad Upson are pretty much guaranteed starters and Lewis Dunk will be pushing himself back into first team contention now all this court case stuff has been sorted I reckon.

I'm not going to slate you, but I would suggest you certainly need 4 central defenders.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

I must have missed the part where we signed Upson...

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I think it will be interesting to see whether Greer and El-Abd can hold down a first team slot with the change of tactics we will be employing.

Have I missed something, do we already know how the tactics we'll be employing will effect centre back selection policy?!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To be honest, that was my reaction. I suspect that either we're investing heavily elsewhere in the team so need a cheap and reliable option to plug a centre back gap, or we're only wanting to spend on one centre back rather than two. Realistically, El-Abd and Greer are good enough at this level, Dunk too. We need a 4th to come in with some pace and/or experience but a left back and a central midfielder/winger would be my priorities.
Good point. Could very well be correct with FFP etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here