Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which position on the pitch is it easy to hide in.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I thnk its easiest to get lost in central midfield, so that the game passes you by.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
In Wayne Bridge's pocket

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I guess the past three and a half years have passed you by.

Unless you worship at the feet of John Beck, I suppose.

So lets hear your suggestion. It's very easy to criticise.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thnk its easiest to get lost in central midfield, so that the game passes you by.

No. Basically if you're picking any sort of team, you'd put you best players through the middle; centre half / centre midfield / centre forward.

Out wide is the easiest place to hide in a game. Easy to sit next to their fullback so you don't get the ball so much, and it's out their least of all statistically anyway.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
I'll second that, especially in a midfield three. In CM I would define hiding as running around but not actually having any effect on the game. Andrew Crofts in his second spell with us is a good point of reference.
Although my personal favourite is left or right midfielders who due to their laziness end up playing as left or right striker. This is commonly known as 'cheating'.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Out wide is where the game can pass you by, if either your not being used or simply you dont want to get involved.

Certainly not in centre midfield

I played centre midfield for 20 years, and part of the reason for that was you are always involved in the game

I would say centre midfield is the last place someone they should play if you want to hide or have the game pass you by.

Wether attacking or defending centre midfielders are always involved.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Left or right midfield in an even game. Full back, in a game where you are playing for the better side - you can literally do nothing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Central midfield ! Have you ever played the game ?

Totally agreed - probably the hardest place to hide, as you are required pretty much for the full 90. I would say a winger probably can most easily "hide", if the ball is not coming down their side much.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think this reinforces the point that some people really don't "get" what the likes of Gary Dicker and Dean Hammond do, at times. Just because they don't have the ball at their feet at that point, doesn't mean they aren't having to work their arses off.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
On the wing especially if you have a good full back behind you. However, if you are against a good full back who is also joined by a good winger then you will found out quickly because they will be doubling up against your full back.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Depends what level of football?

Pro - I dont really think you can 'hide' anywhere as you will get found out and dragged off. However if I had to pick on place it would be playing behind the striker.

Park - Then I would say you can get away with hiding players in the full back postion, out on the wing or upfront if they are part of a two, with the other forward being decent.

Either way not Centre Mid.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Depends what level of football?

Pro - I dont really think you can 'hide' anywhere as you will get found out and dragged off. However if I had to pick on place it would be playing behind the striker.

Park - Then I would say you can get away with hiding players in the full back postion, out on the wing or upfront if they are part of a two, with the other forward being decent.

Either way not Centre Mid.

Spot on.

I know from 20 years of Sunday League football, that if you ever had to resort to playing a REALLY sh1t ringer, when you were short, you always stuck them up front, where they could do 'the least damage'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here