Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pachelbel Canon in D Major

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Judging by the clock, anybody replying to this will be an insomniac, shift worker or somebody who prefers the night to day. But if you want to introduce anybody to classical music, this isn't a bad piece to start. And if you do listen to this, please tell me if you don't feel uplifted and better for the fact you did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Af372EQLck

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Judging by the clock, anybody replying to this will be an insomniac, shift worker or somebody who prefers the night to day.

Or living in a different time zone.

But if you want to introduce anybody to classical music, this isn't a bad piece to start.

Who needs to be "introduced" to classical music? Weren't you forced to learn the recorder in music lessons at school like the rest of us?

Even though I like it, it is vastly overplayed. A bit like Barber's Adagio for Strings.

My missus is a professional violinist and she HATES it. It's so mainstream it may as well be classed as pop music and she's sick to death of being asked to play it.

As a testament to it's mainstreamness, check out the vast number of leccy guitar versions on youtube........

and many more if you want to check them out.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Who needs to be "introduced" to classical music? Weren't you forced to learn the recorder in music lessons at school like the rest of us?

Even though I like it, it is vastly overplayed. A bit like Barber's Adagio for Strings.

(QUOTE My missus is a professional violinist and she HATES it. It's so mainstream it may as well be classed as pop music and she's sick to death of being asked to play it.)

Wow. How dare any pop music fans enjoy classical music. Your missus sounds like the worst kind of classical music snob who wants to keep it elitist and only available to Radio 4 listeners of a certain age or the privately educated. 'I'm a classical musician and I look down on pop music fans' as John Cleese might have said.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's very nice and I can see why people would like it. One to do Pilates to!

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

My missus is a professional violinist and she HATES it. It's so mainstream it may as well be classed as pop music and she's sick to death of being asked to play it.

As a testament to it's mainstreamness, check out the vast number of leccy guitar versions on youtube........

and many more if you want to check them out.

That's sad. I understand why she feels this due to the repetition, but as you point out the Cannon is lovely.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Your missus sounds like the worst kind of classical music snob who wants to keep it elitist and only available to Radio 4 listeners of a certain age or the privately educated. 'I'm a classical musician and I look down on pop music fans' as John Cleese might have said.

Or she might just be fed up with having had to play it over a thousand times.

She's not alone ...
[yt]JdxkVQy7QLM[/yt]

Nice! This pretty much sums it up.

I would imagine it's like being an aged pop star with a massive back catalogue of material who's only ever asked to play his/her biggest hit over and over again.

Last edited:

boik

Or she might just be fed up with having to play it over a thousand times.

I would imagine it's like being an aged pop star with a massive back catalogue of material who's only ever asked to play his/her biggest hit over and over again.

That's why I love going to see the Wedding Present - back catalogue of 300-400 songs and you never know what you are going to get. Every gig is different.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
My Mrs walked down the aisle to Pachelbel Canon in D major. always brings a tear to my eye listening to it

:ffsparr:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here