Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's into rooting then?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

I have heard the term 'rooting' before and keen to explore.

Any fellows rooters out there to give some advice???

Please.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I don't know much about this at all but I do know that when my wife and I mentioned across a dinner table in Sydney last October that we were planning to have a root around Circular Quay the following day the reaction took us quite by surprise.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wouldn't bother using powder unless you really have to. Most things take of their own accord anyway :wink:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Done it once on my old htc desire. Managed it after a few attempts but although rooted, for some reason the phone still had some of the old unrooted restrictions :( Some phones/tablets are easier than others. Not much help, i know.

D

Deleted member 2719

Get it wrong and you will 'brick' that which you attempted to root!

I am not a techy at all if they were mechanical i would have half a chance!

I read the term 'brick' but is it right you can 'unbrick'?

What i am trying to do is free up some internal memory on my very crap Acer Liquid mobile as i have put just a few essential apps on it and it is 90% full and i can not move them to sd card and it runs very slow at times.

Any ideas cos i really do not want to brick it!

D

Deleted member 2719

Have you had a hunt around any forums for help?

You could try here for starters:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=583

Thanks, but i did try this forum but lost the will to live after 20mins, i was hoping some of NSC finest could give me a dummies guide or an alternative.

I was just going to pay out of my contract and get a phone with a bigger internal memory but Orange inept service made me decide not to.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Done it on my Samsung Galaxy S4 very easily. Not sure about other phones though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
:bigwave:

Mind you, I didn't even attempt to root my HTC One X because it seemed too expensive to risk.

It's really only worth it if you want to make some serious changes to your OS, or perhaps hide applications or stuff like that.

Oh and I managed to brick my back up buffalo external hard drivea few years ago, then my son spilt my coffee all over the lap top and it died. It looked like my 15 years of digital photos were gone, until I paid £250 to have a firm unbrick the buffalo for me. Lesson learned!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I read the term 'brick' but is it right you can 'unbrick'?

no, the very definition of "bricking" is that its irreversibly dead, only useful as a brick. see also door stop.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
What is so bloody annoying is many of the mobile manufacturers simply failing to provide enough internal memory in the first place.

D

Deleted member 2719

What is so bloody annoying is many of the mobile manufacturers simply failing to provide enough internal memory in the first place.

Yes i repeated that to Orange saying basically you sold me a phone that hasn't even last a year usefully and got back 'you had 14 days to return it'.
No empathy and understanding or responsibility typical modern day customer service, they will not be my next provider or probably ever again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

or, you could pay more for one with more memory. its one of the wonders of the free market.

DanielT

What phone are you trying to root?

A couple of reason NOT to root: if you use Barclays banking app or Sky Go. They detect a rooted phone and won't install/run unless you "hide" your root (not that difficult as there's another app that will do it)

OK, so that being said, no reason not to root, and very many reasons to do so

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I rooted my Kindle Fire so as to use Google Playstore, which Amazon denied access to. I think it invalidates the warrantee though.

D

Deleted member 2719

What phone are you trying to root?

A couple of reason NOT to root: if you use Barclays banking app or Sky Go. They detect a rooted phone and won't install/run unless you "hide" your root (not that difficult as there's another app that will do it)

OK, so that being said, no reason not to root, and very many reasons to do so

What i am trying to do is free up some internal memory on my very crap Acer Liquid mobile as i have put just a few essential apps on it and it is 90% full and i can not move them to sd card and it runs very slow at times.

Where do i start???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here