Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

odds on Laura Robson, Winbledon

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
5-2 up in the tiebreak in the first set and choked. She was in tears at the end.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I would imagine it's due to the fact that she seems to inherited the 'choke' gene that affects so many of our sportsmen and women!

It is odd, isn't it? We just don't seem to cope very well with expectation. Why is it? We definitely make better underdogs. Look at those penalties in the Italy v Spain game in the Confederations Cup, we never take penalties like that. Why? Every single current England international has the ability to take those penalties, so why can't they do it?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It is odd, isn't it? We just don't seem to cope very well with expectation. Why is it? We definitely make better underdogs. Look at those penalties in the Italy v Spain game in the Confederations Cup, we never take penalties like that. Why? Every single current England international has the ability to take those penalties, so why can't they do it?

Confidence, experience, intelligence.

We lack them all more often than not. Laura will learn from today - consistency is valuable.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
She makes the front page if she gets past the 1st round so cant think anybody knowing her history would have risked any cash on her winning today,the fact that she is our No 1 player says everything about our womens standards

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
She makes the front page if she gets past the 1st round so cant think anybody knowing her history would have risked any cash on her winning today,the fact that she is our No 1 player says everything about our womens standards

Top 30 in the world sir

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it's harsh to refer to a 19 year old as a "choker" already. Give her a few years yet, Murray made a lot of people look very stupid.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

She's only 19 and has defeated some of the top players in the game over the last couple of years. She's also just about to break in to the top 30 in the world. She's made the papers as she is doing rather well for herself.

Granted, we have a pretty poor pool when it comes to women, but her and Heather Watson look very promising indeed.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I had watched Kanepi's last two matches for betting reasons, and she was clearly the better player coming in to this. No shame for Robson. Given she is 28 and Robson 19 the Brit will probably go on to be a better player, but Kanepi is very, very good - just streaky. She lost something like 7/8 games in a row to Kerber in a previous round. Only injuries and confidence mean she hasn't won more.

The women's event has provided some rich pickings this year. Radwanska win over Pironkova was very big for me today, had a large punt on that plus it landed a five-timer of the women's matches. And happily the one I left off (Serena, at the lowest odds, because I thought Lisicki could win) proved the huge shock. Lucky.

Already well up but if Sloane Stephens wins this year this I shall be retiring to the Maldives.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Tooting Gull,

As a big snooker fan as well, I heard the news about Ali Carter today. I hope he gets better very soon mate.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tooting Gull,

As a big snooker fan as well, I heard the news about Ali Carter today. I hope he gets better very soon mate.

Too right. He decided after chat with Barry Hearn he wanted to go public on it, so spoke to him this morning conveying first and foremost those same sentiments, and secondly relaying some of his thoughts for tomorrow's papers.

The bloke deserves a break, the Crohn's has been horrendous even before this. He has already had half his stomach cut away. Can only hope the operation tomorrow goes well and hopefully he will recover like Jimmy White from similar operation at same age and be back on tour before long.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Too right. He decided after chat with Barry Hearn he wanted to go public on it, so spoke to him this morning conveying first and foremost those same sentiments, and secondly relaying some of his thoughts for tomorrow's papers.

The bloke deserves a break, the Crohn's has been horrendous even before this. He has already had half his stomach cut away. Can only hope the operation tomorrow goes well and hopefully he will recover like Jimmy White from similar operation at same age and be back on tour before long.

Ali's never blamed the Crohn's illness for any defeats and to reach two World Championship finals is a great achievement. Hope he's back playing snooker very soon to win more trophies. Testicular cancer has a very high recovery rate and I'm sure Jimmy White's support is a great comfort at the moment.

Best wishes to the Captain.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I had watched Kanepi's last two matches for betting reasons, and she was clearly the better player coming in to this. No shame for Robson. Given she is 28 and Robson 19 the Brit will probably go on to be a better player, but Kanepi is very, very good - just streaky. She lost something like 7/8 games in a row to Kerber in a previous round. Only injuries and confidence mean she hasn't won more.

The women's event has provided some rich pickings this year. Radwanska win over Pironkova was very big for me today, had a large punt on that plus it landed a five-timer of the women's matches. And happily the one I left off (Serena, at the lowest odds, because I thought Lisicki could win) proved the huge shock. Lucky.

Already well up but if Sloane Stephens wins this year this I shall be retiring to the Maldives.

A year ago I was heavily involved in betting in play on the womens matches, and Pironkova is SO easy to read she is betting perfection. When she first got broken today it was clear she was going to lose ultimately, her fitness is poor and her confidence is weak. I made good money from her when she beat Venus both times and can generally read her. And she is FIT. :love:

Wirh regards to Ali Carter, I have a lot of time for him as a man and a snooker player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here