Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Technical question about HR and employment law etc

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Apologies but I asked this question in another thread that has now vanished. I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I'm simply ignorant about these matters and would like to know.

The club created a new post of chief coach and - as far as we know - immediately filled it.

Since they seem to have been trying to do everything by the HR book this summer, should they have advertised the post first, or can they simply give a newly-created job to anyone they want?

And there's a supplementary question that occurs to me: has the post of first-team manager been abolished now that we have a head coach? In which case, is Gus redundant?

Or are they making it up as they go along?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think you should ask that at the Fans Forum sir.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Apologies but I asked this question in another thread that has now vanished. I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I'm simply ignorant about these matters and would like to know.

The club created a new post of chief coach and - as far as we know - immediately filled it.

Since they seem to have been trying to do everything by the HR book this summer, should they have advertised the post first, or can they simply give a newly-created job to anyone they want?

And there's a supplementary question that occurs to me: has the post of first-team manager been abolished now that we have a head coach? In which case, is Gus redundant?

Why would they be duty bound to advertise a post?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I have never heard of a law that states an employer must advertise every vacancy. What happens when companies go to head hunting agencies then?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I don't see why they can't hire whoever they want. If they did advertise a position, obviously there are laws, but not if they know who they want. What would the point be in going through the process and expense of being forced to advertise and interview loads of people only to hire the person they wanted anyway. No point at all.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think in some sectors large employers have to advertise every vacancy under certain conditions - i.e. Public Sector or large employers where certain Union agreements might be in place. But otherwise, no.

And I would guess that the Head Coach thing is so that Gus could be made redundant if his appeal is successful, and/or so that the Club can not be cited as having replaced him before the whole thing was finalised. The Job Description will have to be different, because in normal circumstances (or even abnormal circumstances) you can not make somebody redundant and then replace them like for like.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Why would they be duty bound to advertise a post?

That's why I'm asking. I know in some areas, such as education, posts are advertised. In the media, not so much. Football has been a law unto itself, but the Albion seem to have been trying get away from that.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I think he's right. Im pretty sure employment law is that any post that becomes vacant must be advertised. However, I think it is only when a situation becomes vacant, not when a post is created.

edit... has to be advertised INTERNALLY

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That's why I'm asking. I know in some areas, such as education, posts are advertised. In the media, not so much. Football has been a law unto itself, but the Albion seem to have been trying get away from that.

That tends to be heavily unionised work places... like schools, hospitals, etc... usually in a vain attempt to restrict nepotism or 'jobs for the boys'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yep. i think there is a common mis-understanding jobs have to be advertised. many organisations, particulalry large ones or government departments have a policy to do so. but its for transparency rather than legal reasons.

reckon thats far more complex than anyone without intimate knowledge of HR law and BHA job descriptions can answer. on the face of it this route would be easier (see it happening all the time), but i believe as a contractor he may still be entitled for a payout of the full contract (rather than the n weeks redundancy).

of course, theres also the point that if he has breached his contract, why go through such steps to remove from job...

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

No need to advertise a post specifically, unless it is for a council or government job ( or similar eg NHS ).

Many people are promoted within companies - or even taken on / headhunted - without the role they are going to being advertised.

Besides being the new First Team Coach, I did assume Oscar was acting as 'interim manager' as well, but that is a guess really.

Last edited:

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
If a position is going to be filled internally i.e. with a current employee then it has to be advertised internally. As far a recruitment from outside there is no law apart from diversity laws such as ageism or anything else that ends with ism.

Gus nor his position has been made redundant it is just the club cannot employ another manager whilst in an appeal period. Remember that Oscar is only an interim at present.

Hope that helps.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I think in some sectors large employers have to advertise every vacancy under certain conditions - i.e. Public Sector or large employers where certain Union agreements might be in place. But otherwise, no.

And I would guess that the Head Coach thing is so that Gus could be made redundant if his appeal is successful, and/or so that the Club can not be cited as having replaced him before the whole thing was finalised. The Job Description will have to be different, because in normal circumstances (or even abnormal circumstances) you can not make somebody redundant and then replace them like for like.

During my working years I worked for a pretty big company (Honeywell) that stated in their handbook, any vacancy would have to be advertised internally first.
There was nothing to say they had to advertise outside.
The internal process was a real joke and any internal applicants were dully interviewed and turned down in most cases.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If a position is going to be filled internally i.e. with a current employee then it has to be advertised internally. Not true as far as the law is concerned. It is certainly best practice and is observed in most large organisations and most of the public sector. BHAFC is neither. As far a recruitment from outside there is no law apart from diversity laws such as ageism or anything else that ends with ism.

Gus nor his position has been made redundant it is just the club cannot employ another manager whilst in an appeal period. Remember that Oscar is only an interim at present. Also not true. The club (TB) said that they were going to appoint an "interim manager". Instead they appointed a Head Coach, whose job is permanent.
Hope that helps.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If a position is going to be filled internally i.e. with a current employee then it has to be advertised internally.

I really don't believe this is true. I'm no lawyer or HR person, but I don't remember ever working for a company that advertises it's positions internally - though I've never worked public sector or anywhere where there are unions, which is where I suspect these things stem from.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Very slightly off topic but does anyone know how long Poyet has to appeal? I know it has been mentioned that it will take up to 3 weeks but does he officially, in writing or verbally, need to state to the BHA board that he wants to appeal within x amount of days? Has he already done this?

I know it doesn't really matter and one way or another he will be gone but just interesting to know.

Not just education, but in a lot of other services where funding and employment practices are subject to public scrutiny. Schools and other public services are run in a way that is supposed to be "accountable" to voters and other "stakeholders". But this doesn't get a requirement into employment law to advertise all posts (or, indeed, any posts in an organisation with different accountabilities). If you do advertise, though, you must comply with obligations not to discriminate without justifiable reasons.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
any internal applicants were dully interviewed
that sounds like a Python sketch... "So, Mr Phillips, you are here for your dull interview - please try to stay awake..."

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
I work in HR so have found this whole thing very interesting.

What I find strange is the time it has taken to conclude the disciplinary. These things are to be done quickly and cleanly, not 6 weeks or whatever.

This makes me think the it's the lawyers and agents who have been making the mess here, as you would expect.

The club's credible use of employment law is to be applauded, but I think (just my opinion) that the toing-and-froing between the two parties has probably been as messy and ungentlemanly as any other business in football.

With regards to the Oscar appointment, I think this was very, very brave of the club while the sacking is at appeal stage. If Gus thinks he has a case this could go to Tribunal, which is public *gulp* ... Doubt Gus wants this going public.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here