glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
approx 4k a year
is yours worth that pay rise?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
They should be paid more so that we get the right people interested is standing for parliament ... and less need for them to fiddle their expenses.

In order to offset the cost we should reduce the number of MPs by 25%. Far too many at present.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes they are worth more BUT so are many public sector workers who are currently on pay freezes for at least three years. MPs pay should be linked to other public sector pay with regards to increases.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes they are worth more BUT so are many public sector workers who are currently on pay freezes for at least three years. MPs pay should be linked to other public sector pay with regards to increases.

or maybe linked to results

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
or maybe linked to results

Nice idea but I'm not sure what measurements would be appropriate given we're talking about all MPs and not just the government. I know I wouldn't travel to London, work late into the night and give up my weekends for £65k !

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Their pay should be linked to attendance. The House of Commons frequently looks like the crowd at a Sunday league match. And yes, I've heard of the work they need to do outside of being where they're elected to be, and I know that sometimes facts have to be found, and I know about "pairing" with the opposition so the vote isn't affected. Many people moan about teachers and their long holidays blah, blah. But MPs get a really good deal, short terms, gold plated pension, often a bit of moonlighting, paid for asking questions for outside organisations etc, etc.

Expenses.

So no, their pay should be frozen like lots of other peoples' , and indeed there should be less of them. Mostly they are just fodder for their party whips, are there to bounce up and down at PM question time, wave order papers at the appropriate moment, and generally spend their lives like the 6th form debating club.

My MP is a LibDem ,who wowed the constituency with "Vote for me to keep the Tories out". Next day , he's a tory himself and my vote has been given to a party whose philosophy I find distasteful, to say the least. Pay him more ?

I think not.

Plus he's a QPR supporter.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
If we could be sure that they genuinely represented their constituents and not a combination of vested outside interests; that they were not simply sheep who always voted as they were told; that they did not have second, third and fourth jobs or a string of directorships; and that they actually listened to, and took part in debates before voting impartially, then they might have a case. But that will never happen, so the answer's NO!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The increase won't happen. Honest.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If we could be sure that they genuinely represented their constituents and not a combination of vested outside interests; that they were not simply sheep who always voted as they were told; that they did not have second, third and fourth jobs or a string of directorships; and that they actually listened to, and took part in debates before voting impartially, then they might have a case. But that will never happen, so the answer's NO!

Tis us who are also the sheep, if this muted in France half of Paris would be out on the streets I fear

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
They should be paid more so that we get the right people interested is standing for parliament ... and less need for them to fiddle their expenses.

In order to offset the cost we should reduce the number of MPs by 25%. Far too many at present.
I agree also they should not be on any company board but we would need to give them a parachute payment when they are relegated .

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
MP's are the most underpaid roles in the country. They could earn at least double that in most industries.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
MP's are the most underpaid roles in the country. They could earn at least double that in most industries.

that might be thriving ones
cannot say that about any government we have had in the last few decades
if they were to be paid on results they would all be unemployed and living in bedsits ............or living on daddies ill gotten gains

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
How do you measure 'results' for every MP? What targets need to be met in order that you can quantify 'results'?

those that vote for or bring in policies that have not worked or deliberately lie about statistics and manipulate them should be made to resign
any found to be cooking the books thrown out of government

lets put it this way would you trust any politician or even any high management banker to run your bank account?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
No, expenses get squeezed then talk of them getting a pay rise. Funny that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
those that vote for or bring in policies that have not worked or deliberately lie about statistics and manipulate them should be made to resign
any found to be cooking the books thrown out of government

ah... you are confusing MPs with government. they aren't at all the same thing. some MPs are part of the government, most MPs are dealing with constituency questions, lobbying groups (and being lobbied of course), and most of Commons activity goes on in the committees. as Westdene said, i wouldnt do the hours for 65k.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a bloody mess.

The right thing to do is pay them a decent salary so they have enough of an incentive to do the job properly, then increase it annually with inflation with a 5-year review by an independent body.

What we've got now is MPs that are out of pocket compared with 3 or 4 years ago because they're not getting as much in expenses, hence the inflation-busting increase just to bring their overall remuneration back to where it was. The end result is the MPs aren't happy because in real terms they're no better off, yet the electorate are unhappy because of the fact the pay rise IS inflation-busting.

IMHO the bottom line is that MPs are presently underpaid. Personally, I think it's time to redraft the T&Cs for MPs, so that they're paid a higher amount but with restrictions on 'moonlighting' income / directorships and a new code of conduct.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here