Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David awaits Albion move

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Albion were last night urged to start talking with David if they want to keep him for another season.

The Spanish star was offered a new one-year deal at the end of last season.

But his representative says negotiations with the club have not yet started.

Miguel Angel Cermeño believes the delay could be down to events behind the scenes, with Gus Poyet dismissed, pending appeal, and Oscar Garcia appointed in the new role of head coach.

David has been linked with Reading, Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest and Espanyol.

Cermeño said: “We haven’t done any deal with anybody.

“We are waiting. I am not negotiating with other clubs, I’m only listening to them and waiting for movement from Brighton.”

Cermeño believes it is up to Albion to make the next move.

He added: “They are interested in my client. That’s the correct way of doing things.”

Meanwhile Adam El-Abd, who was also offered a one-year deal, faces competition if he wants to join Barnsley.

The Tykes have spoken to Albion’s out-of contract defender as one of a handful of targets.

They are keen to sign a centre-back who is mobile, comfortable in possession and who, if necessary, could fill in at right-back.

They expect the Egypt international to take his time over a decision as he waits to see how things develop at The Amex under Garcia.

It is likely El-Abd would be offered a two-year deal at Oakwell.

Barnsley are now in Spain for a week as part of their build-up to the new Championship campaign.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That doesn't half read like Cermeño is an honourable football agent.

I take it the story is a pack of lies. :jester:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Meanwhile Adam El-Abd, who was also offered a one-year deal, faces competition if he wants to join Barnsley.

They are keen to sign a centre-back who is mobile, comfortable in possession and who, if necessary, could fill in at right-back.

Are they quite sure?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Come on sort it out Brighton, I've got a Spanish Dave t-shirt that is unworn, I can't wear it if he goes somewhere else.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pretty relaxed about this, to be honest. I'm quite sure that the club haven't simply forgotten.

If they think he's worth what he wants, then he will be re-signed. If Oscar has someone he considers BETTER, in mind to replace him, so be it.

Personally, I hope he stays. Like him a lot.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Sounds like his first choice is here. Up to club now, I like him depends if oscar is on board

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Pretty relaxed about this, to be honest. I'm quite sure that the club haven't simply forgotten.

If they think he's worth what he wants, then he will be re-signed. If Oscar has someone he considers BETTER, in mind to replace him, so be it.

What a very sensible view, with which I concur.

That's just a pretentious way of saying "this"., but which accords more respect to the poster.

Oh do shut up......., my wife would now be saying.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

I thought something similar when Murray left and we signed CMS. That didn't turn out so well!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Well said that man...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I thought something similar when Murray left and we signed CMS. That didn't turn out so well!

The new manager (sorry, 'Head Coach') has to be allowed to make his own decisions. We either trust his judgement, or there's no point bringing him here.

He'll be well aware of David from Spanish football. He'll have watched him scores of times, and in fact he'll almost certainly have played against him. He knows what he offers, and if he needs him, David will be here next season.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
One of our best players from last year who took his time to settle in and now knows English football. If we want to challenge next year we surely have to re-sign him, new spanish imports will need time to get used to our game

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I find it strange that his agent is saying that negotiations haven't started as the club offered Spanish Dave a contract. The agent must be the one to renegotiate for a longer term or more money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here