Your first bike.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
I loved mine!

0.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Blue and white tricycle when I was about three - white solid tyres, no gears, one brake, and one more wheel than was strictly necessary.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I had a Raleigh Hustler (purple) with drop handle bars as I never got to go on Crackerjack to win a Chopper but c'est la vie. When drop handle bars went out of fashion I brought and fiited "Cow Horns" to the bike. The only trouble was that the new handle bar grips that I brought at Tutts in Seaford wouldn't easily fit. However, with a bit of 3 in 1 oil, the grips slipped on like a glove. My first ride out with the new Cow Horns was around the estate and when I pulled my first wheelie, the grips came away in my hand no longer attached to the handle bars. A nice lady whoever walked me home and a good hammer rectified the bent wheel fork. I also had a really good Raleigh Medale (gold colour), a fantastic bike until a hit and run driver put me and it in the Royal Berks Hospital in 1985.(gold

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Started with the Raleigh chipper before moving up to the magnificent chopper :)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I loved my first bike....light,slim,fast.....but she married someone else.....seriously though....one of the old butcher delivery bikes with the frame on front to carry the basket on.....it was great because not many kids had bikes in those days....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My first 'new' bike was a Carlton Continental racer. Beautiful machine. 39.99 from Ron Mills cycles in 1974. A lot of dosh in those days. Wrecked it in less than a year.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I built mine from bits when I was 11 in 1957. No gears and nothing special. This helped me to get to my paper round which was the block of streets bounded by Old Shoreham Road and Sackville Road in Hove. The shop where I had the round was the one on the end of the block of shops along from the Goldstone. A few months later whilst attending Small Dole Scout Camp, with the 5th Hove Troop. When the Camp finished I rode it back to Hangleton, in the dark. I have no idea how me and my bike got to the Scout Camp, but I certainly remember the trip back. Different times.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
A lad in a shed used to mend and build old bikes. I got my first from him. T'was a green Raleigh but cannot for the life of me remember the model. No stabilisers for me on my first ride.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My first 'new' bike was a Carlton Continental racer. Beautiful machine. 39.99 from Ron Mills cycles in 1974. A lot of dosh in those days. Wrecked it in less than a year.
I kind of have a resto job on going on it's 'brother' a Raleigh Flyer, from the same year.

It wasn't my first bike, but I had a gold 'racer' when I was approaching my teens.
Hand built by a little old man working out of a small front room, shop front.
The place wreaked of bicycles and glue.

I never appreciated the bike, always wanting the 'latest thing'.
God what I'd give to go back and get it and spend an afternoon in the old boys repair shop.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
raleigh-action-man-bike-12-inch.jpg

my first good bike

2010SecteurTriple.jpg

some pikey bellend has either flogged it or is riding around on it somewhere around York though at the moment :anger:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
In my day you didn't covert those sopy namby pamby Chopper things. You wanted a proper bike, Claude Butler frame and a set of Campagnolo Gears.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I can't remember the name of the first bike I had, but I remember it being red, one gear, and if I peddled backwards it used to go backwards, couldn't freewheel on it.

This was my first "proper" bike, a Raleigh styler.....
D09EF1DC-9AAD-42B0-9E44-D627AF4448DC-11601-000005A3141E74DF_zpsa30489c6.jpg

First day I had it I rode into a low wall and scratched it all down the crossbar :angry:

I was devastated and remember being terrified of my dad seeing the damage, it was only 3 hours old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here