Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Genuine question regarding transfers and money losses

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
How is It we have accumulated a 8mil loss along with one of the lowest Transfer budgets In the league when we are one of the most expensive teams outside the premiership. I.E Food, programmes, merch. Also add to the fact too we get 26K+ crowds nearly all the time. Sure people have got to get paid but It stumps me to wonder why we lost so much. Any Idea's?

Now I know there alot of smart arses out there who will probably give smarmy answers. If it's not relevant to the topic. I'd appreciate If you kept It to yourself.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
How is It we have accumulated a 8mil loss along with one of the lowest Transfer budgets In the league when we are one of the most expensive teams outside the premiership. I.E Food, programmes, merch. Also add to the fact too we get 26K+ crowds nearly all the time. Sure people have got to get paid but It stumps me to wonder why we lost so much. Any Idea's?

Now I know there alot of smart arses out there who will probably give smarmy answers. If it's not relevant to the topic. I'd appreciate If you kept It to yourself.
We have the fan's forum coming up soon. That would be a good question to ask on the day.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Depends on how much the Albion are charging themselves to use the Amex.
Ridiculous numbers of staff in all areas of playing staff, player support staff, administration, sales and stadium.
Lots of stuff we currently know nothing about, like agent fees, signing on fees, inflated salaries, consultants fees etc. biscuits at meetings, coffee, CEOs, redundancy payments etc. It all adds up to a spend, spend, spend attitude that is now being reined in at the expense of "community".

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
FAR too many staff

I agree with, never seen so many stewards at the matches. At the north stand north east corner their is at least 9, I could understand it in the away end turnstiles but is it necessary in the home end.

Over-ordering on merchandise

Have they? They must be making a packet as never seen so many albion fans purchasing so much merchandise in my life.

Travel subsidy

This one gets me. Why do the club subsidies travel? Shouldn't it be down to the rail company to man the gates at stations and if they can't do that properly then that's their fault.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I agree with, never seen so many stewards at the matches. At the north stand north east corner their is at least 9, I could understand it in the away end turnstiles but is it necessary in the home end.

Nope. No it's not. But it isn't the stewarding that's been cut back (yet),it's the full-time staff that have been redundant

Have they? They must be making a packet as never seen so many albion fans purchasing so much merchandise in my life.

All these 'concourse' sales they've had after the season was over. Sure, Albion fans have bought a lot of stuff but the former Chief Exec got a little trigger-happy on the ordering front.

This one gets me. Why do the club subsidies travel? Shouldn't it be down to the rail company to man the gates at stations and if they can't do that properly then that's their fault.
I believe it's something that was fundamental to the planning application.

Blurgh.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
When that happening?
Paul Barber (24th June): "One important date for your diary - and it's a great opportunity to discuss FFP and other topics in more detail - is Thursday 1st August when we will host another Fans' Forum at the Amex. We look forward to another evening of lively debate and to meeting those of you who can join us for this very popular annual event ahead of the new season. Tony and I will be available to answer your questions, direct from the floor, via our website, or via BBC Sussex. In addition, we hope to see as many of you in person as possible in the months ahead as we look to increase the number supporter group meetings we host and attend throughout next season."
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/paul-barber-statement-878547.aspx#Zw4LY5amUuLmfYoE.99

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The travel subsidy has little to do with manning the gates. The travel subsidy is about paying the bus company money so that they accept our match tickets as a bus pass, pay the train companies money so they accept match tickets as train passes.

Rather than putting the full cost of a day saver on tickets (almost £5 these days) the club had added a couple of quid to our tickets and made up the rest themselves, essentially taking a hit on every ticket. That's why this season's prices were increased in two parts, the ticket price increase andy the Travel increase (I.e. the season ticket went up by £50, £20 increase on seat prices, £30 increase in travel subsidy or whatever).

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
Paul Barber (24th June): "One important date for your diary - and it's a great opportunity to discuss FFP and other topics in more detail - is Thursday 1st August when we will host another Fans' Forum at the Amex. We look forward to another evening of lively debate and to meeting those of you who can join us for this very popular annual event ahead of the new season. Tony and I will be available to answer your questions, direct from the floor, via our website, or via BBC Sussex. In addition, we hope to see as many of you in person as possible in the months ahead as we look to increase the number supporter group meetings we host and attend throughout next season."
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/paul-barber-statement-878547.aspx#Zw4LY5amUuLmfYoE.99

Cheers for that Ziggy

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
8 million pounds is a hell of a lot of money for a football club to lose in a year. Too many average players that are overpaid - Gus made a few mistakes in the transfer market. Still paying for the Amex stadium though like a mortgage on a house.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
As TSB says, the club employ too many staff. Apparently there are 2,000 club employees on duty on a match day which seems excessive to me.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
8 million pounds is a hell of a lot of money to lose for a football club in a year. Too many average players that are overpaid - Gus made a few mistakes in the transfer market. Still paying for the Amex stadium though like a mortgage on a house.

Can't argue with point re transfer mistakes, but the part in bold isn't correct. It was an interest-free loan which will, almost certainly, be converted into shares.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here