Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waaaaay OT - Best area to stay in Cape Town

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Completely OT I know but NSCers are a great source of info on pretty much anything...

Off to Cape Town next week to do some work at the V&A Waterfront. Looks like I should be able to get a half decent hotel around £30-40 a night but wondering where is the best area to stay.

I don't want to be too far from where I am working if I can help it, but within walking distance of interesting things to do of a evening. Is there any part of CT that could be likened to good ol' North Laines Brighton? Where should I go for good music, beer, comedy, food?

I like to go for a run, say around 3 miles. Is there anywhere where I could do a few circuits and get a decent idea of the city sights?

I will have pretty much zero time for sight seeing other than a run but if I had half a day what should I do? How far is it to wine country?

Sorry for my ignorance but I've never planned a trip to CT before and had little time for research so I am relying on the good folks here to give me some pointers!

TIA!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Green point
5 min walk from waterfront area and the stadium, quick walk into city centre and cheap taxi ride to camps bay beach

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
My suggestion is mamma Africa's on long street, it's where all the best nightlife is

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Be streetwise and use common sense and you will find arguably the most beautiful place to holiday, especially along the coast to boulders beach, ridiclious scenery

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yup, Long Street has lots going on and some great shops and restaurants. Definitely the nearest to the North Laines. But be careful if you're out at night - can get a little lively and street crime is sadly quite common, despite the city's best efforts to keep visitors safe.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Long Street is party central all night long with taxis and cars beeping till morning so if you want to get some decent sleep best avoid staying there. Is a 15-20 walk to the V&A from there. Would probably stay around the V&A or Green Point as suggested, next to the V&A and good for a coastal run. Also has the world cup stadium.

Table Mountain would be my choice for activity if short on time, taxi up to the cable car station then a walk round the top, just hope it's a clear day otherwise no point in going up as you'll be in the clouds. If it is cloudy then maybe head to Lion's Head instead, much lower than the mountain but should be clear of clouds and still give you some good views of the city/mountain and sea.

Winelands are probably a full day trip as they're a bit further out. Other ideas are using a hire car to drive down to Cape Point, Robben Island, or the beaches round Camps Bay and Clifton area. Cape Town isn't that big as it's trapped between the mountains and sea. Probably not that hot at this time of year though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't know Cape Town very well so the only advice I can give you is do not stay anywhere that is too high up, especially in Sea Point, because of the wind. My father in law had a penthouse apartment there and half of it was unusable because the wind was so noisy! He had wondered why it was so cheap...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I too liked Camp's Bay and some spectacular views on the drive down to the Twelve Apostles. I had an excellent meal at the Cod Father which I would recommend if it's still there. Christ the sea was cold.

Boulders Penguin Colony is also worth a visit, loads of them on the beach totally unphased by tourists.

Table Mountain is great unless it has the tablecloth on. Watching the clouds rushing past you is an interesting experience too.

I stayed in Constantia which I liked but way too far if you are based in Cape Town.

Interesting fact (So I was told) is that there is more variety of fauna and plants on and around Table Mountain than in the whole of the UK

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I lived there for three years, and Hout Bay, Chapman's Peak and Boulders were my favourite spots, but as you say you have no time for sight seeing, the CBD is lively, but watch yourself anywhere at night, even around the v&a dock area.......

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
A lot of what's been mentioned already I would recommend, my uncle lives there so I've been to stay. The top three things I'd recommend: Table Mountain can be completed in around 4 hours walking with the only tricky part being some steep ladders, Camps bay is absolutely stunning particularly in the evening, I'll never forget the New year's day I spent there, and lastly a little further afield Boulder's Beach, this has a colony of about 3000 African Penguins that roam freely around the beech while you swim and relax.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here