Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New TVR in Sussex?

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
They're back in UK hands. Once famous from Blackpool, but looking for a new factory. How about a new plant in Brighton?

Ulloa's Soul Patch

The Cyclone!
Mar 5, 2013
Just above the chin.
I presume you're talking about the car company.
Although it would create jobs, a factory in Brighton and Hove would not suite the area as we're no longer an industrial city.
Put it in Croydon

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I presume you're talking about the car company.
Although it would create jobs, a factory in Brighton and Hove would not suite the area as we're no longer an industrial city.
Put it in Croydon

Hardly ever an industrial city! Added to the fact TVR could hpuse a factory in a double garage

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nice romantic idea, but no relevent skills in the area. that why types of industry gravitate to a small geography areas, where theres a pool half trained people available.

Surely a factory would be perfect for Brighton and Hove. Apart from the NHS, the council, the universities, telesales and tourism, what is there?

there's quite alot of web designers, developers, fashion designers. what should be done is providing the types of premises those industries can utilise. being 30 min from Gatwick and an hour from London city should be drawing in new business ventures, looking to employ the output of two universities. there needs to be a business park somewhere (toads hole i believe has always been earmarked for this...)

Last edited:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
nice romantic idea, but no relevent skills in the area. that why types of industry gravitate to a small geography areas, where theres a pool half trained people

My friend has a TVR, they could be built by anyone, the build quality of a TVR is nothing to shout about, even if you go back to when we built cars in Britain, Rover, BL, Austin, MG, Morris, all crap and they had the pool of trained people.

You can build a car anywhere, geography doesn't matter in the modern world of engineering.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... even if you go back to when we built cars in Britain, Rover, BL, Austin, MG, Morris, all crap and they had the pool of trained people.

go back? we make cars in Britain now, today. more than Italy out of one factory i understand, and to a high standard. as they were in the more distant past. the crap output through the 60's and 70's were due to various factors. the car plants today are generally where there's a history of similar industrial work, not necessarily the exact same skills but similar cross-transferable skills, aptitudes and dexterity.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
go back? we make cars in Britain now, today. more than Italy out of one factory i understand, and to a high standard. as they were in the more distant past. the crap output through the 60's and 70's were due to various factors. the car plants today are generally where there's a history of similar industrial work, not necessarily the exact same skills but similar cross-transferable skills, aptitudes and dexterity.

Yes we do, I realise that, but I am talking about car building, modern factories are massive production lines that are mainly automated, people are only needed to put the parts on the jig for the robot to put together, there is no skill needed in that, similar to my job now, we used to do the majority of laser cutting, ie, setting machines, gas pressures, piercing times, feed rates etc, now the majority is done by the machine, we just generally push the go button and are only needed when something goes wrong or it isn't quite cutting right and we may have to manually adjust things to get it right.

It's the same with car production lines, only a few bods needed in case things go wrong, apart from the prestige makers such as Bentley, RR, Aston, McLaren etc use proper engineers to hand build cars, the only engineers really needed now for mass production are the designers, who now use computers and could sit anywhere in the world. The production line staff could be anyone who can press a button, it is an incredibly boring job.

A friend if mine used to be in charge of personnel at Ford in Southampton, and had problems with lots of staff, the idea Ford wanted to implement was to move people around on the production line to keep people interested and reduce the monotony for their employees, as it was the same day in day out, so a persons job all day every day would be to to just put wheels on a van, using a tool that did all 4 wheel nuts at once, that to me, would be terrible and would bore me senseless, or the guy who's job it was to put the badges on the rear doors straight. But no one wanted to move sections so they scrapped the plan.

Hardly engineering work that needs a skilled workforce.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I expect they're more likely to look at one of these ready-made industrial towns like MK or even Slough.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Fantastic news , my favourite cars ever, May look at getting one , always wanted a cerbera.

I have never fancied owning a vehicle where you have to buy parts to replace those that have fallen off, but what do I know?

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Yes we do, I realise that, but I am talking about car building, modern factories are massive production lines that are mainly automated, people are only needed to put the parts on the jig for the robot to put together, there is no skill needed in that, similar to my job now, we used to do the majority of laser cutting, ie, setting machines, gas pressures, piercing times, feed rates etc, now the majority is done by the machine, we just generally push the go button and are only needed when something goes wrong or it isn't quite cutting right and we may have to manually adjust things to get it right.

It's the same with car production lines, only a few bods needed in case things go wrong, apart from the prestige makers such as Bentley, RR, Aston, McLaren etc use proper engineers to hand build cars, the only engineers really needed now for mass production are the designers, who now use computers and could sit anywhere in the world. The production line staff could be anyone who can press a button, it is an incredibly boring job.

A friend if mine used to be in charge of personnel at Ford in Southampton, and had problems with lots of staff, the idea Ford wanted to implement was to move people around on the production line to keep people interested and reduce the monotony for their employees, as it was the same day in day out, so a persons job all day every day would be to to just put wheels on a van, using a tool that did all 4 wheel nuts at once, that to me, would be terrible and would bore me senseless, or the guy who's job it was to put the badges on the rear doors straight. But no one wanted to move sections so they scrapped the plan.

Hardly engineering work that needs a skilled workforce.

Ha ha ha, typical scumhampton morons

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Fantastic news , my favourite cars ever, May look at getting one , always wanted a cerbera.

Loved mine and miss it!

1043925_10201548640224308_546487494_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here