Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football transfers in the pre Sky days

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My memory is a bit fuzzy on this. Am I right in thinking that a player had to put in a transfer request before other teams could put in a bid for the player? Otherwise a team could not put in a bid for another team's player whilst he was still under contract?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No teams could still try and buy.

I guess the biggest difference even if a player on a 3 year deal was at the end of his contract he was still the property of the club...... It all seems a long time ago.

The power was with the clubs rather than the players, that's why there were less agents and seemingly less transfer activity.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
....but less money for the players, and generally shitty football stadiums......double edged sword I guess.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
....but less money for the players, and generally shitty football stadiums......double edged sword I guess.

Muddy pitches, less diving and general cheating....... Only ever heard transfer news through the Argus - seems a long time ago.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think sky changed the rules for transfers, but the money they pumped into the game meant players were able to chase money so were more likely to want to move around more chasing better deals, signing on fees etc. urged on by agents.

I supposed mass communication has also helped with this as rumours spread quicker, interest in players known more widely, plus for those without great scouting staff it provided easy access to identifying potential targets.

But essentially transfer occur the same ways they always have.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think sky changed the rules for transfers, but the money they pumped into the game meant players were able to chase money so were more likely to want to move around more chasing better deals, signing on fees etc. urged on by agents.

I supposed mass communication has also helped with this as rumours spread quicker, interest in players known more widely, plus for those without great scouting staff it provided easy access to identifying potential targets.

But essentially transfer occur the same ways they always have.

Only since Bosman.....

Good article below, sums up the impact of Bosman.

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4528732.stm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here