Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poaching Managers (and I don't mean cooking)

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
When was the last time the Albion 'poached' a new Manager (Head Coach) from another club when they were still the top man and under contract ?

As far as I am aware, Oscar, Gus, Slade, Adams (2nd time), Wilkins, McGhee, Coppell, Hinshelwood, Taylor, Adams (1st time), Wood,
Horton, Gritt, Case, Brady, Lloyd, Mullery (2nd time), Cattlin, Melia were all free agents or already at the club when they came to manage the Albion ?

Mike Bailey came to us from Charlton, but was it with their permission for him to talk to us and subsequently join ?

If so, that was in 1981 almost a third of a century ago, and I doubt whether their are that many clubs with such integrity in the game ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
...or who couldn't attract anyone of quality from elsewhere because we were shit and playing in a slum.

Oct 16, 2008
Whilst he wasn't necessarily poached in the true sense of the word, couldn't one potentially establish a connection between Poyet being originally suspended on the 16th May and Oscar resigning his post (a year through a two-year contract) six days later? Tap tap tap per chance?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think it's a bit of a misleading stat to be fair. For most of the 90s, 2000s we should have struggled to attract anyone given our situation, but Coppell, Taylor and McGhee were all big managers. They just happened to be out of contract. I think for example had we gone up and Gus left we'd have probably poached Redknapp or someone like that.Maybe Chris Hughton to finally get something back on Norwich! I'm pretty sure that had Dick Knight had the opportunity to poach a good manager, he would have done. We just mostly couldn't or didn't need to.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Whilst he wasn't necessarily poached in the true sense of the word, couldn't one potentially establish a connection between Poyet being originally suspended on the 16th May and Oscar resigning his post (a year through a two-year contract) six days later? Tap tap tap per chance?

I am sure I read somewhere it was for personal reasons. Someone else said that he had received threats.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I am sure I read somewhere it was for personal reasons. Someone else said that he had received threats.

Yes. The Israeli press said that sources close to the club had told them that he didn't like being so far from his family and that given they weeren't going to settle there, that the close season was the best time to leave for the club. He also said he had no idea whether he would manage a club next season the day he quit. I think we can safely assume he wasn't tapped up by Brighton. He also said he had many other offers once he had quit and given the Brighton situation I think it's one he must have taken some time to consider. Says a lot for the club that he chose us I think.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Did we not try to "poach" Danny Wilson from Bristol City at one point - I think after Taylor resigned?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here