Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well written article on the BBC and Gus

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting, Gus is certainly portrayed as an unwilling victim. Totally different take to the one I had, but then as an Albion fan maybe I wasn't looking at it from the same angle. I felt sorry for Gus reading that, not something I've felt before in this unfolding drama.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
"Well-written"? I disagree.

And its premise is nonsensical. It seems to suggest that the BBC, short of live football in summer, set out to make the Poyet sacking some sort of reality TV event - when in fact they couldn't have known in advance because the club statement didn't go up until the programme had been on the air for 30 minutes.

At least, that's what I THINK it's trying to say ...

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It's a well-written article but does appear to put the blame with the BBC solely. I think in truth no-one comes out of this looking too good in terms of the particular timing of the announcement. Shame the article doesn't get that across, although I don't disagree with his analysis of how the BBC played it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What complete nonsense that article is. Poyet, the shrinking violet caught up in a media storm whilst working for £5 an hour to be able to afford some gruel for his poor starved kids. The reality is Poyet maximised his exposure to draw sympathy (with a badly played hand thrown in from the club) and earn his fully paid up membership of RADA.

Whoever wrote that is a gullible soul.

Last edited:

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

And its premise is nonsensical. It seems to suggest that the BBC, short of live football in summer, set out to make the Poyet sacking some sort of reality TV event - when in fact they couldn't have known in advance because the club statement didn't go up until the programme had been on the air for 30 minutes.

But agree with this. The irony is that the writer is trying to sensationalize this event as being more than it really was!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
What complete nonsense that article is. Poyet, the shrinking violet caught up in a media storm whilst working for £5 an hour to be able to afford some gruel for his poor starved kids. The reality is Poyet maximised his exposure to draw sympathy (with a badly played hand thrown in from the club) and earn his fully paid up membership of RADA.

Agree with this, Poyet was a like a moth to the flame with the media and there was at least some consistency with his demise in the form of a thoroughly embarrassing, public and opportunistic BBC interview. Can't imagine he'd have wanted it any other way.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have no sympathy for Poyet. Why the hell did he agree to be a pundit in the first place at a time when his job was on the line? Poor judgement once again from Gus.

As for the BBC, I was surprised that the grilling they gave him lasted 8 minutes. It didn't make any sense - if, as the show tried to portray, his sacking had come as something of a surprise then why ask him whether he was going to appeal? Surely if you really have just found out you've been sacked after more than 5 weeks of legal wranglings your first course of action is to speak to your lawyer, not blurt out you'll be appealing.

That bit made me squirm, not only because it was putting him on the spot unnecessarily but also because it didn't help the Albion. You wonder whether his appeal was lodged partly because when put on the spot he'd told 3 million people he WAS going to appeal? You wonder whether without this BBC circus his legal team would have advised him not to appeal.

The article ignores how Poyet got himself into that position in the first place - which is poor - but the rest of the article about the BBC is fair comment. Alan Shearer better watch out in case Gary Lineker gets bored and starts quizzing him about Gabby Logan.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

The alternative viewpoint being that you are a cynical bar steward.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
As for the BBC, I was surprised that the grilling they gave him lasted 8 minutes. It didn't make any sense - if, as the show tried to portray, his sacking had come as something of a surprise then why ask him whether he was going to appeal? Surely if you really have just found out you've been sacked after more than 5 weeks of legal wranglings your first course of action is to speak to your lawyer, not blurt out you'll be appealing.

That bit made me squirm, not only because it was putting him on the spot unnecessarily but also because it didn't help the Albion. You wonder whether his appeal was lodged partly because when put on the spot he'd told 3 million people he WAS going to appeal? You wonder whether without this BBC circus his legal team would have advised him not to appeal.

the clip on the website is two separate interviews... roughly a 4.30/3.30 spilt at half time... and then just before the end of the show.

Poyet hadn't received any official final legal communication at half time. He had by full time.

The BBC are not only well within their rights to have two goes at this, it's also within their remit that they have to. Any newspaper hack or radio show would have done the same.

That article is a complete nonsense by the way, clearly written by someone who has no idea about how any of it works.

luge

Dec 18, 2010

Clearly a fabrication in my book. Lawro must have been behind it, scripted and everything.

luge

Dec 18, 2010

Clearly a fabrication in my book. Lawro must have been behind it, scripted and everything.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here