Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I Need Advice Re A PPI Claim

Teddy Maybank

Feb 23, 2009
A few weeks ago my bank contacted me and asked me a few questions re a loan I took out in 2005. They told me that I could claim against mis sold PPI and I answered more questions on the phone. I got a letter through the post today offering me £2500.
Has anyone had experience of this?
Should I bite of their hand and say I except OR should I go to one of the many PPI claims companies knowing that the bank will be trying to fob me off with a low amount of money?
Can anyone recommend a good one?
Any advice appreciated.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
I don't believe that The bank aren't allowed to offer you less than you're entitled to. It should have a proper breakdown of how much you paid and interest. Unless you spent more than the breakdown on PPI then you won't get any more. I you go with one of these third party companies, you will end up with less when they take their fees (think about it, they aren't doing it for the love of it now are they)

Just take it dude; it's 2.5grand and a profit for not reading something properly when you were younger!

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
You will probably double that amount just for following a Martin Lewis template and doing it yourself.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
just exactly how far can you go back with these claims?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Don't know. I was shocked when my bank contacted me. I took out a loan 8 years ago. If you took out a loan over 4 years ago, i'd check it out.
yes we have already got some money back on those
bloody LLOYDS made us take out PPI on a business that we had and the payments were huge .....but this was in the early 90's
if we ever get anything back from Lloyds it would be a first
when we sold the business we took the money away from them that day and lodged it with the CO-OP

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
A few weeks ago my bank contacted me and asked me a few questions re a loan I took out in 2005. They told me that I could claim against mis sold PPI and I answered more questions on the phone. I got a letter through the post today offering me £2500.
Should I bite of their hand and say I except OR should I go to one of the many PPI claims companies knowing that the bank will be trying to fob me off with a low amount of money?
Any advice appreciated.

The letter should give details of the loan/s and the amount of insurance paid.
You should get the premiums back + 8% interest.

I was in a similar situation recently with my bank. Unless you've got all your old statements or a copy of the loan agreement that does not concur with their offer I'd take the money.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I got exactly what I worked out that I was owed. They don't just pluck a random figure or triy to buy you off with a lower figure. If you've been offered that much, it's almost certainly a fair offer and you should accept it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Never ever use a claims company they are charging you for something that is free, basically stealing your money.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
You will probably double that amount just for following a Martin Lewis template and doing it yourself.
Do it yourself, yes, but don't expect double. Just expect not to pay anyone for asking for your money back when you can ask yourself.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Funnily enough, I'm just in the process of claiming back nine years worth of PPI.

I honestly can't remember if I signed up to it or not but I'm damn well sure I'm going to try and get it back.

Any advice on suitable responses when the bank ask why I feel I was miss-sold PPI other than 'I can't recall ever agreeing to it'?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Any advice appreciated.

Well surely it depends how much you have paid?

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Lloyds who I had a loan with wrote to me saying they were worried I'd been missold PPI. I didn't have a clue I even had PPI on the loan let alone have any interest in claiming for it. They sent me a questionnaire which I filled out and basically said that and they sent me an offer with it all broken down by payment including interest I would have accrued if I hadn't paid the money. It then turned out as I no longer had the PPI I had over paid on the loan by over £700 so I got this refunded as well.

Back in the day when people first started claiming bank charges back I did it off my own back I got a piddly offer from the bank which wasn't even worth bothering with. So I got a company to do it on my behalf and they offered me 75% of what I'd paid out in fees. It may well be different nowadays for the PPI claims but using a 3rd party company was certainly worthwhile in my experience (that was over 10 years ago mind).

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yes, that's good. *writes that down*

I just said to my guys that I have a very steady job that I am in little danger of losing so if I had the choice of knocking a couple of grand of repayments off or having PPI I would have taken the former.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Well surely it depends how much you have paid?

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Lloyds who I had a loan with wrote to me saying they were worried I'd been missold PPI. I didn't have a clue I even had PPI on the loan let alone have any interest in claiming for it. They sent me a questionnaire which I filled out and basically said that and they sent me an offer with it all broken down by payment including interest I would have accrued if I hadn't paid the money. It then turned out as I no longer had the PPI I had over paid on the loan by over £700 so I got this refunded as well.

Back in the day when people first started claiming bank charges back I did it off my own back I got a piddly offer from the bank which wasn't even worth bothering with. So I got a company to do it on my behalf and they offered me 75% of what I'd paid out in fees. It may well be different nowadays for the PPI claims but using a 3rd party company was certainly worthwhile in my experience (that was over 10 years ago mind).

That was a while before the courts gave their verdict and the banks crumbled. Now if you don't agree with the offer from the bank you go to the Financial Ombudsman (for free). No need to give your money away

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You should get your money back plus 8% pa interest although the interest is subject to tax.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
That was a while before the courts gave their verdict and the banks crumbled. Now if you don't agree with the offer from the bank you go to the Financial Ombudsman (for free). No need to give your money away

I have spoken with the Ombudspersons and yes they will investigate if you are unhappy with the decision but they will also expect their enquiries to take 12-18 months.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here