Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Agia Pelagia in Crete or Oia, Santorini?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5794677 said:
I'm off to both for a few days and never been to either before. Any do's / dont's tips or advice?

Over to you NSC.

Efkaristo poli!

Don't drink the water! stick to beer. Don't get into trouble by flashing wads of Euros , Don't mention EU bail out :)
Wear sunscreen !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
make sure you watch helios taking his chariot carrying the sun beneath the sea.

It is the most incredible place to see a sunset is Oia and people come from miles around to watch it. When we were there, people applauded at the end...it is an incredibly romantic sight.

Santorini is my favourite place in Europe...absolutely stunning place

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Crete is a great Island, surprisingly big with lovely people. The local booze is really cheap and pretty good but you'll probably be offered over priced Amstel.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5794677 said:
I'm off to both for a few days and never been to either before. Any do's / dont's tips or advice?

Over to you NSC.

Efkaristo poli!

Keep well clear of Santorini, it could blow at any time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Keep well clear of Santorini, it could blow at any time.

You are about 3500 years too late! Although a visit to the " plug" is well worth it in the middle of the crater.

We were in st Lucia at Easter and visited their volcano, which apart from being incredibly smelly, was worryingly smoking!

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Santorini is lovely, the capital Fira is a stunning town full of white houses clinging to the top of the crater. I visited a long time ago but I doubt much has changed. You can watch cruise ships anchor in the caldera and ferry their passages to shore where they catch ponies to carry them up to the town. I also remember eating the best kebabs I had ever tasted.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Santorini is lovely, the capital Fira is a stunning town full of white houses clinging to the top of the crater. I visited a long time ago but I doubt much has changed. You can watch cruise ships anchor in the caldera and ferry their passages to shore where they catch ponies to carry them up to the town. I also remember eating the best kebabs I had ever tasted.

We have cruised there about 6 times! Never fancied going up the hill on a donkey though...the cable car is worth the wait!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Oia is lovely. The villas built into the rocks have stunning views over the Caldera. I took a donkey ride up the hill - very painful: the donkey insisted on squashing my leg against the wall the whole way up. It was an evil tourist-hating beast of burden. I'd love to go back to Santorini.

Jan 30, 2008
Crete is a great Island, surprisingly big with lovely people. The local booze is really cheap and pretty good but you'll probably be offered over priced Amstel.
load of bollocks doug, mythos and fix lagers with plenty of free flowing raki , stick to driving eh :whistle:
regards
DR

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Santorini is gorgeous - sunsets and views to die for. It's also the most expensive place that I have ever been to in Greece. Eat in the back streets in Fira where it's a lot cheaper and is the other side of the road from the sea and the gaggle of tourists taking photos of the sunsets. Once you get over to the "sea" side it's very dear. It is a very small island and there's not a hell of a lot to do except chill out, drink beer and read books. Perfect !!!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
load of bollocks doug, mythos and fix lagers with plenty of free flowing raki , stick to driving eh :whistle:
regards
DR

Do not listen, avoid drinking raki at all costs.
Been to both, love crete except malia. You will enjoy both for many reasons. Oia is great for all the above, but as part of my island hopping summer 2 days was enough and would not go there for a holiday, the other cyclades islands are brilliant, ios, paros, naxos, mykonos etc.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Been to both, love crete except malia. You will enjoy both for many reasons. Oia is great for all the above, but as part of my island hopping summer 2 days was enough and would not go there for a holiday, the other cyclades islands are brilliant, ios, paros, naxos, mykonos etc.

We also really liked lesbos. It's actually quite unspoilt. The harbour area had soe lovely bars and restaurants.

Mykonos was great, katakolon, Rhodes( avoiding the Brits) kefalonia, and Crete was lovely.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We also really liked lesbos. It's actually quite unspoilt. The harbour area had soe lovely bars and restaurants.

Mykonos was great, katakolon, Rhodes( avoiding the Brits) kefalonia, and Crete was lovely.

Totally agree, have to be a bit careful saying we like mykonos though, being brighton fans. I mistakenly went to super paradise beach, jesus, had to wait an hour for the next boat, that was a very long hour.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Kali Spera.

Santorini, is as others have said, a beautiful place, especially to sunset watch up in Fira/oia. Not very good for beaches, black sand which gets very hot.

Western Crete, particularly the south west, is my favourite place, we are off there for summer soon.

Oh, and interestingly on the beer front, Mythos isn't brewed locally, but the Amstel is.

Jan 30, 2008
what a light weight , nothing wrong in drinking the RAKI it's the local medicine and is pure with no chemicals, WHAT A TIMOTHY CORBETT YOU ARE :tosser:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
well Santorini was stunning in 1986 and i am sure still is - although somewhat more popular i suspect. best calamari ever!

and Chania in Crete was also nice in 1991. (look out Oleander Restaurant if its still there)

hope that helps!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here