Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going 'corporate'

Oct 6, 2010
We can't be successful on the pitch unless we are financially successful, off it. You either want a successful club or you don't. If you do, then accept it. If you don't, why not go spend your time and money with your local conference south club or something instead?
Perhaps the AITC arm should be an exception to...... corporisation(?), but I'm sure there are very good reasons to the 're-shuffling' and I trust Tony.
Dick Knight will always held in the highest regard. He was the right man at the right time, and without him we would not have a club. But if decisions are being made with head over heart, for the benefit of the football club and the community, then I'm all for it.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Heres an idea. Enjoy the Albion experience as we push for the premier league with all it's 'corporate' goings on AND go and watch the local 10 bob games. Win win

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Our most successful period in the history of the club was during the Withdean years. 4 trophies in 12 years.

It is possible for the club to be successful without selling its soul & losing its values.

Well said that man

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Our most successful period in the history of the club was during the Withdean years. 4 trophies in 12 years.

It is possible for the club to be successful without selling its soul & losing its values.

Successful? We were constantly bailed out by wealthy supporters. Without them we were bankrupt. We did well (in lower leagues) because of them and despite our debt. The most successful period in the history of the club was getting promoted to first division and fa cup final anyway.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
With promotion to the Premiership and staying there flirting with European adventures every fan here will be happy with the corporate model.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I made up my mind after the last 5 weeks to ignore whats going on in the Albion fiscal world and concentrate on whats happening on the field.
Gus saw us through the fledgling period and I will always have admiration for his style, but the new guy is here to carry on that good work(hopefully)and move us on up to the premier.
the only worry I have is that I hope the club see right by Charlie.
the old stye club that I and others loved has gone the corporate guys have taken over so lets just cross our fingers and hope they run it well.
on the pitch you hope and trust the team will do well
off the pitch it just hope they do well

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong

We didn't have FFP to consider back in those days so that's not a fair comparison.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Sure it was. And I'm sure that we can repeat it. All it would take would be a couple of relegations and we could do it all over again.
If that is how you measure success I hope you never get invited to join our board of directors. 1977-1983 beat the Withdean era hands down because we were beating quality teams.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Successful? We were constantly bailed out by wealthy supporters. Without them we were bankrupt. We did well (in lower leagues) because of them and despite our debt. The most successful period in the history of the club was getting promoted to first division and fa cup final anyway.

Agreed.

Under FFP rules none of our success whilst at Withdean (or in the old 1st Division) would be possible, and we'd be hit with massive fines and transfer embargos.

Whichever way people slice it, FFP has changed the financial landscape of football. You either adapt or face the consequences.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Yes and we probably paid the highest prices for tickets in each respective league for probably the worst stadium in the football league.....

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Ys, but it was also the period in which we nearly went out of business and were losing money hand over fist.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
We have to adapt to changing times, otherwise being stuck in a time warp will mean we never develop as a club.

This - we cant stay little old Brighton if we want to get up to the top flight. The club needs to change in order to get success. Its not just the club doing this, its football in general.

Theres a reason why clubs like Barnsley have been flirting with relegation for a few years now.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Being "successful" at lower levels is far easier and, to an extent, irrelevant depending on what one's expectations are.

I'd say winning the CS is worth 10 trophies at lower level.

Are we more successful than Arsenal as we have more trophies than them in the last 5/10 years? No, of course not.

Our most successful times were 30/35 years ago when we were in the top flight.

As for "going corporate", this is the wrong term. Running the club professionally is more apt. You can't do things at higher level without being professional (corporate, whaever) that you could do at lower levels.

Anyway, we're all against being termed as TINPOT, this is exactly what we would be if we don't do things more professionally. We are (and will be seen as) a proper, good sized, well run football club from now on. I'd rather the "corporate" moniker than the "tinpot" one!

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Anyway. We went corporate the day we started buying replica shirts.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Hmm. Whilst it was great winning all those trophies they were all for winning competitions where the entry qualification was you had to be a little, tinpot club. That's on a par with saying that winning the Freight Rover trophy (or whatever that mickey mouse competition for third/fourth tier clubs is called now) is on a par with winning the Champions' League.

In other words there's 'success' and 'success' and it's all relative. When we were a tinpot Noddy club we won some tinpot Noddy trophies. We've moved on now and our sights are set higher.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here