Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you missing the Gillingham and Withdean years?

Are you missing the Gillingham and Withdean years?

• Yes I am

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Am I ****

Votes: 100 66.2%
  • Maybe just a little

Votes: 37 24.5%
  • For JCL's - the what?

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems that many are waxing lyrical about the old days and the club we "used to be"

Are you?

I meant to make this a poll that showed who voted what, is there anyway a mod can amend it?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not missing it at all, just nice to think back about teams of the past.

the good and the bad.

And as many brighton fans of my age will know there were plenty of bad years with crap teams to watch.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I think we have to accept that those days, together with our memories of the Goldstone, are gone forever. Like it or not, we are no longer seen as supporters; we are customers who contribute to the income of the club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we have to accept that those days, together with our memories of the Goldstone, are gone forever. Like it or not, we are no longer seen as supporters; we are customers who contribute to the income of the club.

Logic dictates that we can't have it both ways though, I'll take where we are going now. Rather be a potentially big club than a friendly lower league club, with all the changes that brings, good or bad.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Miss the Goldstone! I also miss Gillingham a little as it was the last chance to see us at 'home' standing on a terrace.

Don't miss Withdean at all

Happy memories of both former grounds, wouldn't swop either for the Amex. There are plenty of county league or lower sides that you could follow instead of (preferably as well as) the Albion if you are nostalgic for the "good old days" of football, if indeed these ever existed. I expect it is more about recapturing lost youth.

PS Only went to Gillingham once, town and ground were/are an insult to the good name of dumps everywhere.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It's not so much the grounds - though I did miss the Goldstone for a long time.

I just feel that when we came to the Amex we effectively started again. It's felt like a completely new club in all kinds of ways, mostly in a positive way.

I guess that's why we're so possessive about the stripes, Sussex by the Sea, our Palace rivalry, and songs about Peter Ward. So much of our history has been swept away, and we cling to the little bits that are left.

Now that we are a "big" club I really recommend the occasional excursion to smaller grounds like Lewes, Eastbourne etc. The clubs are grateful of your support and you get a brief fix of the old-time football experience, albeit on a smaller scale.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
For the sake of the little children, let's stop harping back. They don't need to know about your pain.
It would be nice to think they could grow up watching Spainish driven flair at the Amex Matadoreum without old scrotes hankering after a wet Saturday afternoon in the Internet Stand watching the legendary Guy Butters hoofing the ball into the invisible distance.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only thing I miss about Gillingham is my occasional visit to The Cricketers.

Withdean? Well we had some great times there, especially the first, second and last seasons there. If we had been there for only half the time, I think it would have been looked upon quite affectionately. And I do miss drinking in the pub next to Preston Park train station.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I don't miss the Withdean years at all. I look back fondly on them and will cherish the many fantastic memories that era gave me, it was a special time for those who endured it. Absolutely loving the modern-day experience now though and would never go back.

I miss looking around at Withdean to see insane people sitting in the freezing rain and having a feeling of camaraderie with them.
I miss the ease of getting to and away from Withdean.
I miss The Station pub.
I miss chips.

Other than that, HELL NO.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's incredible having our beautiful new stadium, and watching the best football I have personally seen The Albion play in my lifetime. It's amazing watching the Albion play and even beat some of the biggest & best sides in the country. I have always dreamed of this moment.

But it's sad that as fans we are no longer really part of BHAFC like we used to be, there is a less of a sense of belonging. It feels like we are not so much following a football club anymore, but more of a brand.

But I believe that it doesn't have to be this way. There are more fans and a greater necessity to make money than ever before, but I don't believe the club needs to sell its soul & lose its values to achieve its aspirations.

Wow! I agree with you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here