Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight voices concerns over 'corporate' Albion [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Knight voices concerns over 'corporate' Albion[/h] 10:05am Thursday 27th June 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
915936.jpg
Albion president Dick Knight
* Dick Knight has stepped down as supremo of Albion In The Community amid concerns about the club's growing corporate image.

* Knight, who launched the Seagulls' award-winning charitable arm eight years ago, has reservations about the direction the club is heading in under his successor as chairman Tony Bloom and chief executive Paul Barber.

* Knight told The Argus: "We keep hearing the club has to change and that the brand is all-important. But you have to understand what the brand is all about. I know about brands.

* "You have to be careful that you don't lose your identity. With the Albion, that means keeping the right balance between community and corporate.

* "The way they want to take AITC now is to be more like a corporate arm of the club. That is why this is the time for me to stand down."

**Knight has also criticised Albion's handling of Gus Poyet's departure as manager and has urged them to resolve the future of first team coach Charlie Oatway, who remains suspended and under investigation for alleged breach of contract.

* He said: "With Gus and the club, ‘It started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this?’I’ve told Tony that I think it was unfortunate the club made the decision to publicly suspend the man that brought us the best football we have seen in years.

* "The turmoil created has been damaging, both to the club and Gus, and I'm not sure it needed to happen like that. The club should have dealt with it in house. But at the end of the day, Tony is running the show now and he makes the decisions."

* Knight added: "We still have the unanswered issue of Charlie Oatway, whose suspension is still in the air. It has been over six weeks. To deal with a true servant of the club in that way is absolutely wrong.

* "It's his testimonial this year and he pledged to give 50 per cent of his takings to Albion In The Community. He has already given us several thousands of pounds, but the big one would have been the Liverpool friendly match.

* "That would probably have attracted a crowd of around 20,000 and AITC would have received something like £60,000 from that, which highlights Charlie’s very generous offer, and that match has now been cancelled.

* "They need to resolve the Charlie issue now and resolve it positively for him."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here