Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 100th Tour de France thread, 2013.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Summer is here, (honest) so it can only mean one thing, starting Saturday:-

LE TOUR.

map_home.jpg

Highlights for the casual watcher this year inc:-

Sat 29.06 - No reason (Jonah Stat doesn't want to put the mockers on it)
Sat 06.07 - First mountain slugfest.
Sun 07.06 - Second mountain slugfest.
Wed 10.07 - Picturesque and potentially pivotal TT for Chris Froome.
Sun 14.07 - Mount Ventoux - hell on wheels.
Thurs 18.07 - Alpe d'Huez - Dutch corner twice, what's not to love.
Sun 21.07 - Champs-Elysees - No reason (Jonah Stat doesn't want to put the mockers on it)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No mention for stage 20...

Disgraceful!
It'll all be over by then, it'll just be scrapping for top 10 glory.
Yellow won't change hands.

(everybody rushes to the bookies to get their stage 20 bets on early)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Question for the experts. Besides Contador, is there anyone else this year Froome realistically needs to be concerned about? I know Schleck isn't 100% race fit, so he won't be challenging.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Stage 11 TT Avranches Weds 10th July....

Portsmouth to Caen
dept Tuesday 09th 22:45 arr Weds 10th 06:45

Cycle 100km Caen to Avranches (62 miles, @ average 17mph say 4 hour ride) arrive Avranches 11.00

Cycle 100km back to Caen

Caen to Portsmouth
dept Weds 10th 22:45 arr Thurs 11th 06.45

Basic price for 1 adult + 1 bike (reserved lounge chair for both journeys) = £90

For 4 adults + 4 bikes + 4 birth cabin there and back = £120 each.

I'm just throwing this out there, but that is basically 1 day off work, 2 nights stay on a boat, take in stage 11 of the Tour, 120miles of cycling in France.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Question for the experts. Besides Contador, is there anyone else this year Froome realistically needs to be concerned about? I know Schleck isn't 100% race fit, so he won't be challenging.
There is a reason why Froomey is the 4/6 favourite.
Clean Contador doesn't look much like the Contador of old.

'Normally' you'd say anything can happen, crash, injury etc, but Sky have learned their lessons well and although a possibility Froome being hampered things like that seem unlikely.

NSC's finest Ryder Hesjedal & Garmin won last years Giro because he wasn't taken seriously by the 'favourites'.
Movistar might fit into that category but there doesn't seem to be many teams who can challenge Sky.

Rider for rider Froomey is currently the best, but to get to him you've first got to do over 8 other Sky riders, no other team looks like they are up to that task. It's no surprise CF's right hand man is joint 4th favourite.

Sky's job will be even easier with Cav on another team. Cav team will become responsible for the peloton on all flat stages.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
It'll all be over by then, it'll just be scrapping for top 10 glory.
Yellow won't change hands.

I think you're right, but I for one will be watching with interest to see the stage done properly.

Have the day booked off work for Alpe d'Huez and Ventoux is on a Sunday...
Can't wait.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Tips?
Can't see value in Froome at odds on, and don't really follow cycling bar the tour to know enough about the lesser fancied riders. Who's worth some each way money? Fancy a flutter seeing as StanJames have paid out on my Oscar bet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tips?
Can't see value in Froome at odds on, and don't really follow cycling bar the tour to know enough about the lesser fancied riders. Who's worth some each way money? Fancy a flutter seeing as StanJames have paid out on my Oscar bet.

Quintana has been in great form for an outside bet. Valverde perhaps, and you can get some great odds on Daniel Martin who has looked good this season as well.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Stage 11 TT Avranches Weds 10th July....

Portsmouth to Caen
dept Tuesday 09th 22:45 arr Weds 10th 06:45

Cycle 100km Caen to Avranches (62 miles, @ average 17mph say 4 hour ride) arrive Avranches 11.00

Cycle 100km back to Caen

Caen to Portsmouth
dept Weds 10th 22:45 arr Thurs 11th 06.45

Basic price for 1 adult + 1 bike (reserved lounge chair for both journeys) = £90

For 4 adults + 4 bikes + 4 birth cabin there and back = £120 each.

I'm just throwing this out there, but that is basically 1 day off work, 2 nights stay on a boat, take in stage 11 of the Tour, 120miles of cycling in France.....

I'll be there for that one, probably somewhere on one of the lumps in the first half.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just listened to the BBC Tour warm up podcast, it's very good and well worth a listen.

Tips?

Boringly the 'safest' bet must be a Froome Contador Rodriguez forecast.

Sadly the bookies have finally got wise to my Sky's 'other' rider ew punt.
If you can get the odds Porte has to be in with a podium shout.

Bold's Dan Martin tip is a fair call, even though he's played himself down on the podcast.

Jay's nod to Gesink is laughable (bet house on Gesink, bet house on Gesink).

My big outsider fella is Rein Taaramae.
Currently 250/1 with Stan James which in fairness does reflect his chances to podium, but he should comfortably be in the top 10.
Thereby making it a better value bet than say the 40/1 on offer for Andy Schleck, who won't even finish.
:)cough: 33/1 Cadel Evans :cough:)

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Here we go again, love this tread, I'm still hopelessly optimistic for Cadel and Tyler in BMC and what about the crazy Czech guy Sagan? However, I realise it's all a bit Billy Mumfry as the Sky Monster seems unstoppable this year. The only way I can see Sky not cleaning up is someone using a new undetectable doping agent and I don't think anyone wants to see that....

We've got the awesome French TDF doco' "Tour de France: The Legend of The Race" on SBS tonight as a warm up but alas I'm out on the piss for 30 June drinkies - IQ will sort me out....

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Come on the Froome Dog. Lets hope he has been practicing Ventoux and the Alpe.

8 days before I venture out. But until them Stats favourite comedy duo to entertain is, Phil and Paul, bring them on to tonight for the team presentations.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I shall be watching a lot of this. That stage 15 looks amazing.
I'm not to sure which to recommend for TdF relative newbies.

Either:-
a) Watch old Mount Ventoux youtube footage so you know what to expect and appreciate it more.
or
ii) Steer clear of all Mount Ventoux footage so you can get that first 'hit' of the spectacular.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Have to say I'm glad Wiggins isn't riding. This way we won't have the media circus around the Wiggins v Froome nonsense and we can concentrate on enjoying the racing instead. Also think Froome deserves not to have that kind of pressure put on him.

I've had a sneaky bet on the youngest rider ever to start a Tour since world war 2 to be in yellow after tomorrow. Bound to be some pile ups and if it takes out all the lead sprinters then a second tier could easily come through and take the glory. I'd rather lose my money though and see everyone stay upright and watch a fair fight between all the big guns.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cav's going to be like a coiled spring, tomorrow.

I'd like to know what the betting range is for 'amount of people Bouhanni causes to crash out'.

I'm going for 4.
and if one is Cav I'll personally stomp all over the bits of Boohoo Cav doesn't beat to a pulp.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cav's going to be like a coiled spring, tomorrow.

I'd like to know what the betting range is for 'amount of people Bouhanni causes to crash out'.

I'm going for 4.
and if one is Cav I'll personally stomp all over the bits of Boohoo Cav doesn't beat to a pulp.

You've got Bouhanni all wrong I reckon. Yes, he's not perfect, but he's young and is still learning. He's certainly no Abdoujaparov that's for sure. Now leave the young lad alone and pick on someone your own age punish:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here