Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jury Service

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
In September last year I was called up to do Jury Service, I had to defer by a year because I was going into my final year of my degree. I am due to do it this summer but need to get out of it. I am due to start a job in October, need to move to London, have training for my job and both my grandparents are in and out of hospital at the moment so its really inconvenient...

Anyone managed to get out of it or know a way to do it ? I doubt just telling them what I have written above would be inadequate.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Just be honest with them. They are pretty good if you have stuff going on.

Like I said. Just be honest.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's a good job everyone doesn't try to avoid their duty. Sorry if that offends but it is my opinion. I've done it twice and would be pleased to be called again.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In September last year I was called up to do Jury Service, I had to defer by a year because I was going into my final year of my degree. I am due to do it this summer but need to get out of it. I am due to start a job in October, need to move to London, have training for my job and both my grandparents are in and out of hospital at the moment so its really inconvenient...

Anyone managed to get out of it or know a way to do it ? I doubt just telling them what I have written above would be inadequate.

The list of things you cite are nothing like enough to work to get out of it, imo. I know of no legal way you can get out of it, given the things you've listed.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Pathetic self important claptrap

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Speaking from experience, having had a colleague in a very similar position recently, there is very, very little chance that you will get out of it based on those reasons.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
When I was asked in the late 90's I was due to go on holiday at the same time. I wrote and explained this and never heard anything back. I wasn't followed up or asked to do a later jury service. I would do it if asked but would prefer not to as most people I know who have done it say its a really tedious experience.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Go for the health reason, for example, you suffer from chronic migraines and associated sickness which can manifest themselves without warning and under stressful situations.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I was told I was too mentally unstable to do it and would never be asked again
But that is the perfect qualification

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Go for the health reason, for example, you suffer from chronic migraines and associated sickness which can manifest themselves without warning and under stressful situations.

Making sure that you have a tame doctor who would back up those claims in writing.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I had to defer my second call up as i was overseas but as Hillian says above its your duty as a member of the public and its Googling interesting. I am 1/1 from 2 and i am pretty darn confident they are both the right verdict.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
personally i have never been picked but would love to do it but if you do want to get out of it why not just phone them up and explain how you believe jury trials are a waste of time and public money as every knows the police never arrest innocent people

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
I was once arrested/charged with an offence, although the case was dropped halfway through the court hearing.

Would this mean I won't ever be asked to do JS? Or are you only exempt if you have a criminal record? Always fancied doing it for some strange reason.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I did it once at Lewes and once at Brighton. Although I only got little cases I found it to be really interesting and it gives you a much better idea of how courts and the law work. I also enjoyed starting at 10:30 AM finishing at 4PM and getting an hour and a half for lunch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here