Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the excitement for Oscar?

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
I didn't want to interrupt in the other thread, but for those who don't mind conversing with a Palace fan can you explain the excitement? It genuinely seems a really risky appointment to me. Not that players for big teams can't be good managers, of course they can, but they seem to fail as often as they succeed.

He could of course turn out to be brilliant, just as a high-scoring non-league player can turn out to be able to cut it in the Championship, but it seems a hell of a risk. Though of course your chairman is a good gambler :)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It is your problem why?

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Do all the other Palarse fans hate you? Is that why you're hanging around here?
Nobody wants you here either. Go and troll Facebook. It is expected there.

Last edited:

Banned
May 19, 2013
It's not my problem at all. I understand that many Brighton fans don't want a Palace input, and I've stayed out of that thread for that very reason. I'm not trying to goad you into a response, and while I'm happy to take the abuse (this is a Brighton board), I was genuinely posing the question.

My interest is because I'm a Palace fan who views you as our rivals, and enjoys the rivalry though not any hatred that goes with it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think the questions made by the original poster are fair.

To summarise in a long sentence; Oscar has enjoyed success in Israel as a coach and seems to play a similar passing style to Poyet, therefore there should be no need for overhauling the team - we are almost copying Swansea's model of appointing managers with similar styles.

You are correct, this could backfire, but I think there should be reason for optimism with this appointment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I didn't want to interrupt in the other thread, but for those who don't mind conversing with a Palace fan can you explain the excitement? It genuinely seems a really risky appointment to me. Not that players for big teams can't be good managers, of course they can, but they seem to fail as often as they succeed.

He could of course turn out to be brilliant, just as a high-scoring non-league player can turn out to be able to cut it in the Championship, but it seems a hell of a risk. Though of course your chairman is a good gambler :)

It is a risky appointment, but it's exciting!

That's the buzz, the anticipation. We're getting someone in to enhance what we have, that shares a philosophy that has been established through the club at every level. One who can hopefully get the best out of the latin spirit that runs through the heart of the team.

Damn right most of us are excited!!

Oct 25, 2003

highly rated at barcelona for starters...not just as a player but mostly as a coach

of course he's a risk...i like a risk and much prefer this appointment than a run of the mill englishman. I may be in the minority but as a flair fan i want Brighton to play with an air of continental arrogance about us...I don't really care if we win I just want us to be flair and for the manager to wear cool threads

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

With all due respect, you must be bat-shit mental if you can't see why.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It's not my problem at all. I understand that many Brighton fans don't want a Palace input, and I've stayed out of that thread for that very reason. I'm not trying to goad you into a response, and while I'm happy to take the abuse (this is a Brighton board), I was genuinely posing the question.

My interest is because I'm a Palace fan who views you as our rivals, and enjoys the rivalry though not any hatred that goes with it.

We have had a really rubbish couple of months and an up and coming manager, touted for great things is coming to us. He'll play the same way that we have watched and enjoyed the last few season and might bring that bit extra to the team that we have missed. He can win and comes with a good rep and he is a 'name'. Whats not to like?

This is our party and you are only allowed in if you come with that grumplin from HR. :albion2:

Banned
May 19, 2013
Just won the first league title for Maccabi Tel Aviv FC in 10 years, on his debut season.

Barcelona pedigree on the pitch and off it - successful Barcelona youth team manager - Has great contacts

Of course it's a bit of a gamble, but plenty of reasons to be excited for the reasons above.

Is that a good league? I honestly know nothing about it. Poyet had knowledge of the English game which seemed to be an advantage. If we had appointed an ex Real Madrid player who had won the league in Northern Ireland, would you have thought that was a good appointment or not?

Obviously we're football fans, so we're optimistic over any new signing, but if our roles were reversed I don't know you'd view his managerial background in quite the same way.

Oct 25, 2003
also looking forward to him utilising his contacts with bayern. barcelona and his knowledge of israel to bring in even more flair icons to the club

the bar for flair has been set very high by gus (bringing in a colombian goalkeeper, for example), but i predict that oscar (with no experience of english football) is going to go mental with the signings of foreigners

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Just won the first league title for Maccabi Tel Aviv FC in 10 years, on his debut season.

Barcelona pedigree on the pitch and off it - successful Barcelona youth team manager - Has great contacts

Of course it's a bit of a gamble, but plenty of reasons to be excited for the reasons above.

Taught by Johann Cruyff.

I'm mainly excited that we are continuing our dedication of playing quality possession-based football - it doesn't matter to me what league we are in, I love turning up to see us play the way we do..

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

I'd say it's the hope that he isn't one of the 'usual suspects' who trawl round the various clubs flattering to deceive. We have made a conscious decision to follow the Swansea type route of good technical football while exploiting the Spanish market. To have appointed a Nigel Pearson or Ian Holloway type Manager may or may not have worked in the short term, but eventually we would've been found out and suffered relegation's and shortages of money as we, and many other clubs have over the years.

The idea here will be continuity, develop a style of play that we become known for, develop an academy playing the same way and eventually punch above our weight in the PL. It may or may not work, but it is a cohesive strategy. I think most of our fans accept that and think it's the best way to move forward over the next few years and not just the next 12 months. In other words our fans are cleverer than yours...:D

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think the club understands that we cannot afford top English talent and so our best chances of bringing in quality players is by bringing in a manager from Europe who has the right connections to bring in players that other clubs won't necessarily know about. Also, by bringing in a relative unknown we don't have to pay the earth for him.

Smart move IMHO, which is what we expect from Tony Bloom.

Oct 25, 2003
Is that a good league? I honestly know nothing about it. Poyet had knowledge of the English game which seemed to be an advantage. If we had appointed an ex Real Madrid player who had won the league in Northern Ireland, would you have thought that was a good appointment or not?

Obviously we're football fans, so we're optimistic over any new signing, but if our roles were reversed I don't know you'd view his managerial background in quite the same way.

the israeli league is ranked higher than the SPL...so nowhere near northern ireland...and you're ignoring the fact that oscar coached at barca (to the youth teams BEST EVER season) and was heavily linked with the managers job when guardiola left

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Its exciting for exactly the reasons you suggest. He COULD be amazing. He might not. The potential is there though, in perhaps the way that appointing a Nigel Adkins or Brian McDermott isn't- you know you have a good manager, but you also know you haven't unearthed the next Arsene Wenger.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here