Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

do you regard the new manager as a step up or down from the previous one..?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
certainly comes with a better pedigree(managerial) than poyet and an acceptable record with some decent previous employers(ie contacts)...well chuffed....step up in my opinion...:albion2::albion2::albion2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
certainly comes with a better pedigree(managerial) than poyet and an acceptable record with some decent previous employers(ie contacts)...well chuffed....step up in my opinion...:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Do you not feel its a little early to call that?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Similar. But he has won a title in a small league, so that's nice.

In both cases, Albion at the Amex is a far bigger non-playing role than they've ever had before.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
On a par.

I think Gus is a very good manager, a complete tool, but a very good manager.

Oscar seems to offer very similar attributes and without tons of experience its hard to say he is any better. however he offers a lot of what Gus offered and more in terms of contacts etc, however we will have to wait and see who he brings in.

Gus's signings of Lopez and Bridge last season were outstanding, obviously Harley, Dobbie, CMS to an extent wernt so great in his time here. if Oscar can sign players like Bridge and Lopez I will be more than pleased.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He will have crazy links in Spanish football, the coaching staff he is bringing with him are extremely highly regarded and everyone involved with Barca has that same ethos, not too dissimilar to the one Gus had.

This is a really, really exciting appointment. Time will tell of course.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea, I was happy with the football under Gus so it's a tall order. Exciting though, especially after the way our season imploded, having looked so good, and what has followed since

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'd like to think a step up but in reality I see it as more of an evolution of what we are trying to achieve as a club.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Do you not feel its a little early to call that?

seem to remember maccabi giving some big clubs a run for their money in the champions league.....not sure weather it was during his tenure...regardless of that i don't feel we have necessarily taken a step backwards and hopefully he isn't as much of a control freak as poyet....my call mate...mind you i did tip nadal to win wimbledon....:ffsparr:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

is one season in the israeli league better pedigree than 2 seasons in the championship?

I hope it will go well, it'll be miserable otherwise. If you ask my gut feeling I think he'll be a success.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
For me, whilst Poyet build a great squad, and played a great brand of football when his brand worked, he was completely clueless how to adapt when it didn't work, and tried to adapt his squad to his brand of football. Had he adapted his tactics to the strengths of our squad, I firmly believe we would be in the premiership now. But he couldn't and for that reason I think it was Poyet who hit the roof, certainly not the club.

Without knowing much about Oscar, I trust Bloom has picked him for the qualities Poyet was obviously lacking, so I will trust our Tone and say its a giant stride forward on the face of it.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Surely Carlos Garcia will be our first target? Signed by Oscar, Spanish, centre-back, flair name, has a Mediterranean Games gold medal :love:

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Considering he's not even been appointed yet, it's nigh on impossible to tell - we don't know if he will adapt to the style of English football (i know we don't play a particularly English style, but you get my meaning) or how much pull he will have in the transfer market when given a budget....we'll see.

It's exciting, very exciting but to comment on him being better or worse than Poyet...we won't know for a while.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
It's certainly a more progressive appointment than some of names previously mentioned.
I hope he will continue and enhance the style of play we have seen under Poyet.
I'm looking forward to seeing the type of player he will want to bring into the team as we are still short of one or two.
Let's hope he has the contacts that some are talking about. A few more Spainish wouldn't be so bad, would it?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The new manager hasnt even been made official yet, for all we know todays rumours could be a load of cobblers. So a bit to soon to answer the question im afraid.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
For me Poyet is on paper the much better bet. However, that ship has sailed and this guy offers the potential for continuity in style and connections in Spain. His managerial career is in it's infancy and although he did well in Israel, that doesn't for me compare with Poyet's tenure with us.

He could be the real deal and what he did at Tel Aviv certainly holds out the hope that he could be an upgrade. Time will tell...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here