Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-abd to Barnsley?

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Dib dab's been in talks with the Tykes according to Naylor. Shirley he can better than that? Can he?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
How many other Championship clubs could guarantee him regular 1st team football? We can't even if Upson doesn't re-sign

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He'll go where he can get the best money and longest contract I'd assume. Will never be a Prem player so why not?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Barnsley won't be offering him much, convinced we can still keep him.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It's just nice to have him around, partly for the Brighton home-town aspect, partly for the entertainment factor, and partly because he can play. No big ego either, and always give everything for the cause. Maybe not always in your starting 11 but a great guy to have in the squad.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What again? I thought he spoke to them last week.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
After being quite heavily involved in a pretty successful defensive line up for the past few years I'd imagine he's an attractive prospect to a club such as Barnsley.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Players move on. If the club is to be serious about progressing, especially upwards, then I feel El-Abd will only ever be a fringe player. Once Upson arrived last season and began showing the sort of quality that is needed for the Premier League, El Abd hardly had a look in. If we had really wanted him to stay then, no matter what was going on on the managerial front, he would surely have been offered more than a one year contract.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My guess is he is establishing his value as a Championship player in order to negotiate a better deal here, but for the conspiracy theorists.

1 He was too close to Poyet, doesn't like the way he was treated and wants out.
2 He visited the away dressing room at the end of last season and now thinks he prefers this to the home dressing room.
3 He has always had a secret yearning to be a dirty Northern Illegitimate, who simply aims to lump the ball and or the opposing centre forward, as far up field as possible.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Nice lad, and a fan favourite, but purely on the footballing side I'm not bothered if he goes. He's pretty useless with the ball at his feet and a serial shirt puller/grappler.

Wouldn't mind keeping him as a squad player but if we're serious about a proper promotion push we need a centre half of superior quality to El Abd.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Would be a real shame to lose Adam but at the end of the day he's got a family to support and that's the most important thing, I'm still clinging to the hope that he'll stay though.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Will be a real shame if we can't keep him. He's established himself as a solid championship quality defender. You need players like that in your squad if you're serious about challenging for the top six. Plus he's brighton born and bred.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
He'll go where he can get the best money and longest contract I'd assume. Will never be a Prem player so why not?

It's not about the money at his stage of career so much as the length of contract being offered I'd suggest.

WhiteyBFC

Aug 23, 2012
Last year it was Greer, now it's El-Abd. We like our Brighton centre halves, seemingly.

So, is he any good? What type of centre half is he? We're in need of a hard man, commanding brute type, to compliment our footballing centre halves.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Last year it was Greer, now it's El-Abd. We like our Brighton centre halves, seemingly.

So, is he any good? What type of centre half is he? We're in need of a hard man, commanding brute type, to compliment our footballing centre halves.
In that case, you'll love him

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Yes he is good, and is a the sort of player you describe you need. Gets less cards than he probably deserves for his antics, but won't let you down.

I like him as a player, and hope he stays with us, but it's not an 'end of the world' situation if he doesn't.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill

That's a very good question. Vastly improved under Poyet after he looked certain to be released, however he's not great with the ball at his feet. His desire and commitment is never questionable but as others have mentioned he always seems to me to be a red card waiting to happen with his wind-up tactics. Hugely enjoyable to see strikers get the hump if he's playing for you but I don't think we'd have so happy if it got him sent off.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here