Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting Daily Mail article on Poyet.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Is Poyet telling the truth about the roof at Brighton?

No man is bigger than the club, yet some people seem to have forgotten about that when they’re considering the Gus Poyet situation at Brighton.

If we set aside the fact that he was manager of the football club when human excrement was spread all around the away dressing room when Crystal Palace visited for the play-off semi final, let’s just consider what was said in Poyet’s final few months in charge of Brighton.

On May 14 before he was suspended from the club, and after he had failed to reach the play-off final, he said: 'I have always said that all the time we keep improving I am going to be at this football club and the day we hit the roof, I'm not.'

Poyet’s squad included experienced internationals signed from Manchester United, Manchester City and Valencia, and their record signing was acquired from a rival Championship club - and Brighton increased his wages by seven-and-a-half times.

Quite what the roof is I’m not sure but it put into perspective Poyet’s uncomfortable coveting of the Leeds United manager’s job before Leeds met Brighton at the end of April. Poyet had previously been assistant to Dennis Wise at Elland Road and said: 'The relationship without being in charge was so powerful with the fans that I am sure I will have the opportunity to go.'
Quite what Brighton fans made of that is unclear, but Poyet needs to be aware there is most definitely a 'roof' at Leeds; they failed to sign a League One player earlier this summer because the transfer fee was too high. This despite the player being in the last year of his contract.

And consider what former Spain winger Vicente said about Poyet, who brought him to Brighton two years ago. Vicente called the former Chelsea star 'egocentric' and 'selfish.' He also said Poyet 'makes fun of his players. I’ve seen things here that I have never seen in my career. If you miss with a shot in training, he makes fun. For me, that is unacceptable in football.'

Vicente also said that Poyet didn’t bother to check how his injury rehabilitation was progressing, and that he went back on a promise to allow the player to leave after his first year because his four-year-old daughter couldn’t settle in England. Vicente’s verdict was damning: 'He is the worst person I’ve come across in football.'

Was Vicente bitter after two frustrating injury hit years? Or was there substance in the word of an experienced player who had appeared hundreds of times for Valencia and at a major tournament for Spain?
I have been to the Amex, and spoken to Brighton fans, I work with several. They all admire and appreciate what Poyet did for the club. But they are all slightly embarrassed by how it has all ended.

I don’t think the club are solely to blame, and any chairman wanting to give Poyet a job needs to be prepared to accept he will enquire about the 'roof.' They also need to brace themselves for the fallout from Poyet unconditionally defending anything Luis Suarez might get up to.

But Brighton have been in the top flight before, Poyet wasn’t rewriting history on the south coast. The stadium has elevated the club to new levels more than anything Poyet did.
He did very well but on a budget equally if not more limited, Southampton and Norwich under Nigel Adkins and Paul Lambert did even better when their starting point was a struggling League One side.
Poyet’s good, but not that good, not yet.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Blimey, the Daily Mail actually publishes something sensible. Never thought the day would come :eek:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
That must be the first article I've read in the Mail that hasn't made me want to top myself afterwards.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Have to say, the non albion fans at my work starting to acknowledge he is stirring things up

Think he is beginning to be found out

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Yes that is talk sports Adrian Durham's piece. I read it on his twitter earlier

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did that bypass sub-editors?

Quite.

Awfully written and fails to put Gus's comments re Leeds in to the context of the Reading enquiry and the fact that Naylor said in his pull out that departure was inevitable by then.

Having said that it's a lot closer to the mark about the relative futures of Gus and the club.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
It must be said that for various reasons the moment the final whistle went in the play-offs Gus' employment horizon has greatly diminished. I don't think any 'biggish' clubs will want him until he's had some success somewhere else and I think he has to realize it's mostly his own fault.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The second paragraph is completely made up. The club have already made it clear that one cubicle was dirty so human excrement wasn't smeared all over the away dressing room.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The second paragraph is completely made up. The club have already made it clear that one cubicle was dirty so human excrement wasn't smeared all over the away dressing room.

And painting us and southampton as the same starting position and similar budgets in league one. Laughable.

It basically reads like some of the things a lot of the people who seem to blindly accept everything the club has said ("Gus didn't really do anything, it was the new stadium!", "Vicente didn't like him, so what if several other players, including one he fell out with, came out to defend him, Vicente complained!"). Having said that, a lot of articles have seemed to blindly accept gus's side, so perhaps it's needed to bring a bit of balance.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It must be said that for various reasons the moment the final whistle went in the play-offs Gus' employment horizon has greatly diminished. I don't think any 'biggish' clubs will want him until he's had some success somewhere else and I think he has to realize it's mostly his own fault.

If he offered his resignation with dignity when he was suspended he would have saved dragging his career through the mud, and may well have found another club.

Everyone wants to know all the breaches of contract now, and any appeal will bring everything out in the public domain.

I have noticed that the LMA haven't made any further statements since last Friday, not even a mention that Gus will appeal the decision, so even in this regard he probably spoke too soon and he may have been advised against it since. If he loses he will be creamed by his legal team and will also get an invoice for our costs.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm starting to think this quote from Gus a few days back when talking about the suspension, has quite a lot to do with something.

"I'm a coach, I'm an honest person. I work the way I do and everybody knows how I treat the players."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here