Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whose Future Is Brighter?

Whose Future Is Brighter In Your Opinion and why?

• Gus Poyet

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Brighton & Hove Albion

Votes: 90 89.1%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
us. from a pragmatic and objective point of view, there are more managers available to take us where we want to be, than there are clubs available to take Gus where he wants to be.

subjectivly, i think a few managers wouldnt like his personal style before and the way he's played things out wouldnt have impressed. as an employer, the clubs image is less important in regards to our perceived actions.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Gus Poyet will probably get to the Premiership before us, idk, it's easier for one person to move upwards in football than a club isn't it? It's not really a comparison you can make. We'll be fine, he'll get a job once he's free.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Definitely us...I have a feeling poyet will go to a club like Newcastle and fail miserably because he won't have been backed as much as he was by Bloom here at Brighton.

Unless he ends up at a club like Man Unted or Chelsea (which I very much doubt), he will fail to attract the players because he will have more falling out's with more temperamental players, just like what happened with Hoddle.

If he does go to Newcastle, then he will get fed up with someone like Joe Kinnear trying to interfere with his team selections and he won't like that.

Brighton will, on the other hand, end up in the Premier League over the next 3 years; I'm certain of it...When Swansea lost Martinez and Brendan Rogers, they were expected to faulter, but because of the way their board had built the club up over last 5-6 years, that was never going to happen..Brighton are and will emulate Swansea.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Agreed it's not really a comparison that makes sense.

The article is focused on Gus, and I think delivers a pretty fair verdict on him; he's done great things to get us where we are; the relationship was strained; he seems a nice bloke but divides opinion; and be sure to take his words with a large pinch of salt.

Talk of us next season, and comparisons to '91 are slightly odd - what isn't explained here is the rationale for the length of the process, and the fact that it has been brought about by the club doing all it can to ensure we will have a solid financial basis over the next few years.

Ultimately I think both Gus and the Albion have very bright futures. I'd expect Gus to make the PL before us, but can see a time in the not too distant future when we are both competing in the top division, and over multiple seasons. And the actions of the past few weeks will have helped both of us to get there.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I liked Gus and I'm sorry to see him go but the answer to the question is us.

State of the art ground, 26000 season ticket holders, a decent squad, a multi million pound training ground being constructed and revenues increasing by the day. There is only one place this club is going and that is up, may take a season, may take 5 but we will get there and be a significant club long after Gus and me are dead and forgotten....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea but I cannot deny I'll watch Gus' career with plenty of interest.

As regards the Albion, I really hope we haven't peaked and have high expectations for this season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We have a bright long term future, absolutely no doubt. This coming season I'm not so optimistic about.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There is an assumption here that Poyet WILL go on to be a successful, top manager simply because of what he did at Brighton. Alan Mullery didn't. Micky Adams didn't. In football management, like in all aspects of professional football, more fall by the wayside than succeed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Well Brighton and Hove Albion will out live Poyet (I would hope) so on that basis BHAFC wins.

However in terms of potential, I genuinely believe Poyet could manage in the Champions League, or even internationally at a World Cup.

I sadly doubt that BHAFC will reach the Champions League, although who knows.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is an assumption here that Poyet WILL go on to be a successful, top manager simply because of what he did at Brighton. Alan Mullery didn't. Micky Adams didn't. In football management, like in all aspects of professional football, more fall by the wayside than succeed.

Having seen that article that inspired this thread was written by an alleged fan of Watford, managed by Gus' big mate, I'd take the article with a pinch of salt personally

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rubbish article because it completely fails to take into account the real driver of success at this football club, which is Tony Bloom.

The pitiful end to that article with the pointed reference to our decline post-1991 Play-Off Final is another world away; then we were in a crumbling stadium with very little going for us at a time when other clubs were reinvesting the new Premier League money in players and infrastructure.

Now it is completely the opposite. Other clubs find themselves constrained by FFP and the economic downturn, whereas the Albion are buoyed by both the south-east's resilience to the economic woes affecting many of our northern competitors and the increase in stadium capacity and new sponsorship deals.

Lazy journalism.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We have a bright long term future, absolutely no doubt. This coming season I'm not so optimistic about.

In a nutshell this. It make take a season or so for us to adjust to a new manager and a new playing style, but ultmately we will succeed, and yes within a few years l can see us plying our trade in the Premier League with a good chance of staying there.

The future for Gus l fear isn't quite so bright. Yes he has a certain way about him, seems likeable, is camera friendly, says what the media want to hear, but what has he actually achieved in the game so far?. Not a lot. He managed to get us out of League One three seasons back, and towards the top of the the Championship, but that's it. Promising yes, but fulfilled?, no way.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Both of us will go on to great things I feel.

probably easier for Gus, he'll get a good job soon enough.

The Championship is a hard hard league to get out of. It amazes me how some of our fans talk about having a top 2 squad and other such rubbish.

We'll do it though, and with the academy we'll be set up for good things.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Have to agree. Mid table beckons I reckons. Unless our next manager really is TOP DRAWER.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We've both got a brighter future than the loss-making Guardian, and i'm a subscriber.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here