Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will all this conflict have a knock on affect during the new season?

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Not having a new manager yet will and some player might miss Gus.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gonna stick my neck on the line and say NO as long as we get a manager who carries on playing the same way as Gus introduced and has a bit of "world class" about him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, but we need to now move fast to get the real new man in - or at least get his 'unofficial' input into player transfers - and to get some players in.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I definitely hope not
:albion:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
One thing that is 100% certain is that a player knows that a manager is likely to move on at some point, usually within about three years!! Some players will always be happy about that and some upset. So as long as we get the right person in it will make no difference whatsoever to the squads attitude and overall performance.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
No, but we need to now move fast to get the real new man in - or at least get his 'unofficial' input into player transfers - and to get some players in.

I thought Bloom said in his interview that a list had already been drawn up with players wanted for next season and I would have thought Gus would have had an input on this.
Bloom said they are continuing looking to sign players from that list.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
If they can get a decent interim in place this week who may become permanent and start moving on signings as suggested by bloom the no I think we will be okay.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Hard to see how this can't have affected the build-up to the season. TB said as much. But the effect might be small if we can get a manager in soon and reassure the current players.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Interesting article in The Guardian by Simon Burnton. Seems to take a balanced view of the whole thing. He thinks that Gus has a brighter future than the club:

Gus Poyet polarises opinion but his future is brighter than Brighton's
The unseemly row between Brighton & Hove Albion and their former manager does neither party great credit

As a manager Gus Poyet has both ardent admirers and fierce critics. Photograph: Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
After Brighton's play-off semi-final defeat by Crystal Palace Gus Poyet made some pointed remarks about his and the club's future. "I have always said that during the time we keep improving I am going to be at this football club and the day we hit the roof I'm not," he said. "So tomorrow morning I am going to ask if we've hit the roof and to know that I need answers and then we'll see."

If that gave the impression that Poyet would leave only if his ambitious plans were not sufficiently supported by the chairman, Tony Bloom, it was disingenuous. In fact it had been apparent for some time that Poyet was likely to go at the end of the season, whatever its conclusion, as relationships became increasingly strained.

Managers have fallen out with chairmen before, and chairmen with managers. The sack nearly always follows, and swiftly. The difference this time is that, following the decision to suspend Poyet and his assistants in May, it took six weeks for it to be announced. Six weeks of confusion, of claim and counter-claim concerning secret misdemeanours. Neither club nor manager has emerged from it with great credit.

With both sides bound by legal constraints, it remains unclear what precisely Poyet has been found guilty of. Last week the League Managers Association released a statement dismissing "what we believe are unfounded charges". Brighton immediately threatened them with legal action.

Poyet's remarks after the Palace defeat – and those on the BBC on Sunday night when he inferred that his sacking, widely predicted across the media for the best part of two months and coming at the end of an extended disciplinary process, had come as a complete surprise – make it hard to take what he says at face value, however genial he appears while saying it. In an earlier appearance on the BBC's Confederations Cup coverage he had talked in very general terms about whatever it is that he is alleged to have done. "It's the way I am. I am a coach, an honest person," he said. "I work the way I do. Everybody knows how I treat the players."

That's not entirely clear either. On one hand Wayne Bridge, who spent last season on loan at the Amex Stadium, glowed: "Gus revitalised my love for football. He is a top-class manager both tactically and on the man-management side, one of the best I have worked with." But on the other hand the former Spain international Vicente described Poyet as "the worst person I've come across in football". "For me he is a selfish person, very egocentric," he continued. "I say that because it's how I feel. I've seen things here that I have never seen in my career. If you miss with a shot in training, he makes fun. For me, that is unacceptable in football."

What is undeniable is that Poyet had achieved excellent results, and as his Brighton swept into the play-offs in fourth place, on the back of a nine-match unbeaten run, there was a sense of undeniability about them. Palace, whose form at the tail end of the season had been as execrable as Albion's had been excellent, were expected to submit guilelessly. Instead they won 2-0 at the Amex, a night that started with the discovery of human excrement in the away dressing room and ended with Albion's hopes of promotion being flushed away.

Even so, purely in playing terms Poyet's achievement in guiding the club through three-and-a-half seasons of constant improvement, culminating in their highest league finish since their relegation from the top flight exactly 30 years ago, was certainly impressive. Once the dust settles on this fiasco, he should not struggle to find new employers.

But what next, for Brighton? Whoever takes charge it seems optimistic to expect an improvement on last season, achieved in an unusually homogeneous Championship in which unexceptional sides – including a couple of those that ended up getting promoted – were allowed to excel. Meanwhile those with long memories will recall the last time that Brighton reached the play-offs, in 1990-91, when they made it as far as the final, hit the woodwork a couple of times and lost 3-1 to Notts County. They promptly sold their two best players, and at the end of the following season they were relegated. It is unlikely that Poyet's departure will prove quite so catastrophic, but it's not much of a precedent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jun/25/gus-poyet-brighton

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting article in The Guardian by Simon Burnton. Seems to take a balanced view of the whole thing. He thinks that Gus has a brighter future than the club:

Gus Poyet polarises opinion but his future is brighter than Brighton's
The unseemly row between Brighton & Hove Albion and their former manager does neither party great credit

As a manager Gus Poyet has both ardent admirers and fierce critics. Photograph: Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
After Brighton's play-off semi-final defeat by Crystal Palace Gus Poyet made some pointed remarks about his and the club's future. "I have always said that during the time we keep improving I am going to be at this football club and the day we hit the roof I'm not," he said. "So tomorrow morning I am going to ask if we've hit the roof and to know that I need answers and then we'll see."

If that gave the impression that Poyet would leave only if his ambitious plans were not sufficiently supported by the chairman, Tony Bloom, it was disingenuous. In fact it had been apparent for some time that Poyet was likely to go at the end of the season, whatever its conclusion, as relationships became increasingly strained.

Managers have fallen out with chairmen before, and chairmen with managers. The sack nearly always follows, and swiftly. The difference this time is that, following the decision to suspend Poyet and his assistants in May, it took six weeks for it to be announced. Six weeks of confusion, of claim and counter-claim concerning secret misdemeanours. Neither club nor manager has emerged from it with great credit.

With both sides bound by legal constraints, it remains unclear what precisely Poyet has been found guilty of. Last week the League Managers Association released a statement dismissing "what we believe are unfounded charges". Brighton immediately threatened them with legal action.

Poyet's remarks after the Palace defeat – and those on the BBC on Sunday night when he inferred that his sacking, widely predicted across the media for the best part of two months and coming at the end of an extended disciplinary process, had come as a complete surprise – make it hard to take what he says at face value, however genial he appears while saying it. In an earlier appearance on the BBC's Confederations Cup coverage he had talked in very general terms about whatever it is that he is alleged to have done. "It's the way I am. I am a coach, an honest person," he said. "I work the way I do. Everybody knows how I treat the players."

That's not entirely clear either. On one hand Wayne Bridge, who spent last season on loan at the Amex Stadium, glowed: "Gus revitalised my love for football. He is a top-class manager both tactically and on the man-management side, one of the best I have worked with." But on the other hand the former Spain international Vicente described Poyet as "the worst person I've come across in football". "For me he is a selfish person, very egocentric," he continued. "I say that because it's how I feel. I've seen things here that I have never seen in my career. If you miss with a shot in training, he makes fun. For me, that is unacceptable in football."

What is undeniable is that Poyet had achieved excellent results, and as his Brighton swept into the play-offs in fourth place, on the back of a nine-match unbeaten run, there was a sense of undeniability about them. Palace, whose form at the tail end of the season had been as execrable as Albion's had been excellent, were expected to submit guilelessly. Instead they won 2-0 at the Amex, a night that started with the discovery of human excrement in the away dressing room and ended with Albion's hopes of promotion being flushed away.

Even so, purely in playing terms Poyet's achievement in guiding the club through three-and-a-half seasons of constant improvement, culminating in their highest league finish since their relegation from the top flight exactly 30 years ago, was certainly impressive. Once the dust settles on this fiasco, he should not struggle to find new employers.

But what next, for Brighton? Whoever takes charge it seems optimistic to expect an improvement on last season, achieved in an unusually homogeneous Championship in which unexceptional sides – including a couple of those that ended up getting promoted – were allowed to excel. Meanwhile those with long memories will recall the last time that Brighton reached the play-offs, in 1990-91, when they made it as far as the final, hit the woodwork a couple of times and lost 3-1 to Notts County. They promptly sold their two best players, and at the end of the following season they were relegated. It is unlikely that Poyet's departure will prove quite so catastrophic, but it's not much of a precedent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jun/25/gus-poyet-brighton

Edit, a Watford it seems. So he'll have been having a chat with Zola before he wrote this I imagine :rolleyes:

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What conflict?

Will be asked if we get off to a good start.

But if we don't we have a ready made excuse!

I just hope that we get someone in who the players will respond to and can get decent cover for Left back and Central defence with possibly one really creative midfielder.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
No..

Every player will be up for this season and with what has happened and a new manager I feel that its rather like having the grass burnt and we will see a rebirth. For all of what Gus has done right he got it very wrong at the moment when he was meant (and paid) to get it right.

One day what really happened post Reading will come out but in the meantime its obvious that there was a creeping war of attrition between the powers that be at the club and Poyet. The bigger the club the bigger the fallout because the fans/media/world pay more attention to the situations that have occured. The bottom line is that everyone at the club is a pro, paid shit loads of money and the pressure to perform comes straight down from the man whose put his money where his mouth is. Its atwo way relationship and when your 'partner' starts throwing their toys out the cot because they want something bigger/better then there was only one way this was going to end. Poyet did/said something which was the last straw and on legal advice the club had a way to remove Poyet. The process that the club chose to take is the right one full stop. This I feel is for our greater good. At last this club isnt being run by clowns! GP made no secret of his desire to move on and I personally feel his latin temperament needs toning down if hes to make an impact on football as a manager. The new manager wont be a mug and he will have connections and one of his most attractive features will be who he can bring to the club and possibly his name!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
If we get a really really good manager, I'd say NO

Unfortunately, the war years have taught me that, when shits happening all around the club, it often is reflected on the pitch.

my feeling right now is we'll finish about 15th

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here