Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion - no longer a stepping stone

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
We all knew at Withdean that if any manager was successful they would leave. That is why none of us were really surprised when Gus talked about ambition as we were used to it.

If this happened at most other clubs of our size and position I am pretty sure a much bigger fuss would have been caused. I think TB has drawn a line in the sand to say you are here to work FOR BHA.

This may prove positive for the next.manager and send a message to the players. When you work for the club, you do not make unsettling comments, you keep your council...

Thats my positive for today.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Well said

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yep agree 100%...we are all in this together. Gus may find that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. His unashamed naked ambition and quite shameless self-publicity went beyond the acceptable. It would have been pleasing to hear the odd comment from him about how committed he was to the club rather than make it obvious that he was open to any decent offer.
Lets hope that his replacement is rather more " we, we and we " and a lot less " me, me and me "

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
There's no doubt that we're one of the more attractive jobs in the league. But I don't think any really ambitious manager will consider us the pinnacle of their career.

Get Oscar in, or Sherwood, or Hoddle, and imagine we're in the Premiership, delighting the nation with our passing football. A bigger club will always come knocking for the guy who made it happen.

In that sense, nothing has changed. What as changed is that as good managers leave, the club is better placed than ever to replace them with another top candidate.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I hope we become a net producer of good young players which not all will play for the Albion but some will help us reach the premier League so in this respect we will be a stepping stone for many players. This will help sustain our position in the future. Managers will come and go that's Football!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Yep,let him go to someone else and keep going on about Leeds and Chelsea.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I am not saying we are the pinnacle of any career, but we should not have to put up with managers / players openly saying negative things about our status, size and ambition like we did when we were at Gillingham and Withdean. That I hope is the message that this gives out.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There's no doubt that we're one of the more attractive jobs in the league. But I don't think any really ambitious manager will consider us the pinnacle of their career.

Get Oscar in, or Sherwood, or Hoddle, and imagine we're in the Premiership, delighting the nation with our passing football. A bigger club will always come knocking for the guy who made it happen.

In that sense, nothing has changed. What as changed is that as good managers leave, the club is better placed than ever to replace them with another top candidate.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I am not saying we are the pinnacle of any career, but we should not have to put up with managers / players openly saying negative things about our status, size and ambition like we did when we were at Gillingham and Withdean. That I hope is the message that this gives out.

At withdean you could understand it and in some respects the comments may well have helped the cause for Falmer. However, most managers at whichever club they are at don't openly talk about other jobs anyway. Plus, of course, you are right that the actions this time do send out a message to the next manager.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
We all knew at Withdean that if any manager was successful they would leave. That is why none of us were really surprised when Gus talked about ambition as we were used to it.

If this happened at most other clubs of our size and position I am pretty sure a much bigger fuss would have been caused. I think TB has drawn a line in the sand to say you are here to work FOR BHA.

This may prove positive for the next.manager and send a message to the players. When you work for the club, you do not make unsettling comments, you keep your council...

Thats my positive for today.

Well said, the next manager must have the albions best interest at heart, Gus only cared about himself and his own achievements

Aug 23, 2011
We will no longer be a stepping stone when we are as big as Barcelona/Man United. Players and managers will come here to further their career but there is always a bigger fish and as such we will be just another rung on the ladder. We may be a very attractive proposition and be able to help jump several rungs at once but if we're successful our good players and managers will not hang about.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If a big team comes in for our manager we won't be able to say no.

However, this club is in a strong position where a manager can come in and create something special, becoming a club legend in the process. Gus will always be fondly remembered for his on field impact but this ending has tainted his legacy.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Until we're a top 6 Premiership side we'll be a stepping stone for managers who are better than us, who we'll learn and grow from. We're 'only' a top 6 championship club at the mo and I've no problem with us being a stepping stone.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
But those stepping stones are getting less and less each season and we just need to keep that progress going.
At the Preistfield there were probably around 90 better stones to leap too. At the Withdaen at times there were probably be around 50 better stones, now I think it is probably around 25. Get the academy going and promotion to the prem then in another ten years who knows.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Unless you are Barca you will always be at risk ofnlosing players / managers but we should no longer accept all this public hand wringing about poor budgets and facilties etc. All the Gus / MA / Peter Taylor type comments about moving on etc must stop NOW. This is Brighton and Hove Albion and we expect players and managers to behave in the bestbinterests ofnthe club, not primarily for themselves.

Aug 23, 2011
Unless you are Barca you will always be at risk ofnlosing players / managers but we should no longer accept all this public hand wringing about poor budgets and facilties etc. All the Gus / MA / Peter Taylor type comments about moving on etc must stop NOW. This is Brighton and Hove Albion and we expect players and managers to behave in the bestbinterests ofnthe club, not primarily for themselves.

to be honest i don't take a lot of notice about managers talking about budgets etc as a lot of that is deflection techniques to move the attention away from other things such as a poor performance or sometimes just to manage the fans expectation or to prevent complacency from fans/players. I think people make too much of managers comments, just look how Mourinho manipulates the media to his advantage by saying something controversial. It doesn't mean he believes it, its just a means to an ends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here