Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Bit of Perspective

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I think its about time people stopped to think for a moment.

I am a Brighton and Hove Albion fan, as I assume you all are.

Not a Gus Poyet fan.... a Brighton fan.

OK, so the first team manager has been sacked for breach of contract.
That's a breach of contract with the football club we all support.

There are so many people on here slagging their football club off that it beggars belief.

So Poyet was officially told whilst he was off moonlighting for the BBC, so bleedin' what.
If he hadn't swanned off to Salford to earn some more cash, he would have been in Brighton to be told face to face that his employment had been terminated.

The club needed to sort this out before the players reported back today, and they did it on Sunday.
Poyet chose to be up North, then whinges that he heard it "live on air".

If he had bothered to turn up to his original disciplinary hearing, then he could have been sacked before the weekend.

Managers come and go, and whilst he did a great job for us, he didn't half spend a lot of time time telling us how well he was doing!!

Thanks Gus, job well done - now lets move on.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

There are so many people on here slagging their football club off that it beggars belief.

So Poyet was officially told whilst he was off moonlighting for the BBC, so bleedin' what.
If he hadn't swanned off to Salford to earn some more cash, he would have been in Brighton to be told face to face that his employment had been terminated.

The club needed to sort this out before the players reported back today, and they did it on Sunday.

If he had bothered to turn up to his original disciplinary hearing, then he could have been sacked before the weekend.

Managers come and go, and whilst he did a great job for us, he didn't half spend a lot of time time telling us how well he was doing!!

BRA ******* VO

Well said that man :thumbsup: :clap:

Aug 23, 2011
i think a lot of people care how the football club are perceived and want their club to do things in the right way. If people didn't care about the club would we even be having these debates. Yes we'll always support the club but does that mean we always have to accept blindly the way they do things without questioning?

Similarly we question/criticise appointments/dismissals of mangers, players to be bought/sold. Is that any different to questioning/critising communications etc?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

The same shite everyone else posts, just reworded. We get it now, **** the last three and a half years, screw the guy that gave u so much enjoyment, lets all support the faceless corporate crap.

Damn it and ****.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The same shite everyone else posts, just reworded. We get it now, **** the last three and a half years, screw the guy that gave u so much enjoyment, lets all support the faceless corporate crap.

Damn it and ****.

Yeah, that's exactly what he meant, 'sake.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Good points made by the OP.

As for this thing about how the club is perceived, I'm afraid we're at the mercy of people on Twitter, messageboards and the like who either don't know all the facts, or don't care. The internet is full of misinformation and half-truths about our club at the moment and I'm afraid everyone is just going to have to ride it out. Doesn't change how I feel about the club I support, at all.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

Damn it and ****.

Er, no.
Poyet didn't give me the enjoyment, the players did, the beautiful new stadium did, the fact that we are now a major football club did.
Not Gus Poyet, he was simply the man Tony Bloom trusted to get us playing some good football.
Poyet achieved that, but there are people on here talking as if he was the only manager in the world capable of that ffs.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Damn it and ****.

But Bloom hasn't been sacked, Poyet has...

Seriousl...Bloom is the real reason why we are where we are.

Poyet asked for the pitch dimensions at the Amex to his exact specifications and he got it.

Poyet asked for certain parts of the stadium to be customised to what he wanted and he got it.

Poyet didn't think Murray was good enough for the Championship and Bloom backed him.

Poyet wanted £3.5 million to spend on Craig Mackail Smith and he got it.

Poyet asked for a state of the art training academy and Bloom is paying for it.

if anyone else had been in charge, we would almost certainly be either where we are now or in a better position.

Poyet has done alot for this club, but please don't think that he was the be all and end all of what has been so succesful over the last 2 - 3 years because he isn't.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

As for this thing about how the club is perceived, I'm afraid we're at the mercy of people on Twitter, messageboards and the like who either don't know all the facts, or don't care. The internet is full of misinformation and half-truths about our club at the moment and I'm afraid everyone is just going to have to ride it out. Doesn't change how I feel about the club I support, at all.

Me neither. Note to the drama queens - very few outside planet BHA know or care. We were never this shining bastion of all that is good in football following our escape from near extinction to most of the outside world, neither are we the demons now to them.

Aug 23, 2011
Er, no.
Poyet didn't give me the enjoyment, the players did, the beautiful new stadium did, the fact that we are now a major football club did.
Not Gus Poyet, he was simply the man Tony Bloom trusted to get us playing some good football.
Poyet achieved that, but there are people on here talking as if he was the only manager in the world capable of that ffs.

yes but you could argue that he chose and persuaded the players to come here and also that the style they are playing was down to him and his team. Yes he was backed by the board but not anyone would or could have done that.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

Poyet asked for the pitch dimensions at the Amex to his exact specifications and he got it.

Poyet asked for certain parts of the stadium to be customised to what he wanted and he got it.

Poyet didn't think Murray was good enough for the Championship and Bloom backed him.

if anyone else had been in charge, we would almost certainly be either where we are now or in a better position.

Poyet has done alot for this club, but please don't think that he was the be all and end all of what has been so succesful over the last 2 - 3 years because he isn't.

Exactly, there was a lot of great stuff going on. All been blown up. What a shame.

Aug 23, 2011

yes i agree to an extent however would we have these players or where we are if Dennis Wise was in charge or Reid? what about Slade? No poyet isn't the only manager who could have got us to where we are but he is the one that did and should get some respect/recognition for that? Other managers may have taken longer or if Big Sam was in charge playing long ball which wouldn't have been as good.

Would you prefer a rollercoaster that goes up and down or one that has no bumps?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Exactly, there was a lot of great stuff going on. All been blown up. What a shame.

Personally don't think that he appreciated just how good he had it here. We were good for Gus, Gus was good for us but this has been brewing a while, as an employee he should have reined in his demands, especially the griping and touting to the media. I cannot believe that he didn't see what was coming unless his ego got in the way and he believed himself to be indispensable because of his on field achievements.

As things stand at the moment, IMO, he only has himself to blame.

It's a sad time all around but he's gone, start letting go.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Er, no.

Fine, if you think that, fine. Me, I think he was really, really good, he gave us an identity, a style of playing, we overachieved against teams with much bigger budgets and were so close to going up. Three and a half years - in this day and a age that's a fantastically long time to be at a club, he loved this place and was helping to shape our future.

I'm more bothered that everyone is dumping on him than that he's going. Your opinion can be held without the abuse you chuck at him in your OP.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Do you know Tayyıp Erdogan. Those are exactly the words he used to describe the protesters over the last month in Gezi Park... protesters he called terrorists and then was horrified when twitter recorded his comments.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Your right and I think that many of the NSC posters who've whipped themselves up into emotional over reaction believe everything that's tweeted.

This is a rather surprising phenomenon that occurs with small groups of people trapped in intensely stressful situation, very similar to the mass hysteria and paranoia generated during the Salem witch hunts.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

as posts go I rather like that one.

certainly a brighter perspective than some on here seem intent on presenting. I do rather struggle to understand why some are quite so gleeful in the way they slag off the club they purport to support.

(.....and yes it IS all about perspective and this is mine)
:thumbsup:

Wilko 1901

May 7, 2013
Hove

Indeed. BHA FC not Poyet FC.

Time to move on.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
yes i agree to an extent however would we have these players or where we are if Dennis Wise was in charge or Reid? what about Slade? No poyet isn't the only manager who could have got us to where we are but he is the one that did and should get some respect/recognition for that? Other managers may have taken longer or if Big Sam was in charge playing long ball which wouldn't have been as good.

Would you prefer a rollercoaster that goes up and down or one that has no bumps?

I'm pretty sure that most of us have given Poyet large amounts of respect and recognition on an ongoing basis. Sadly, The Gus Bus blew its tyres after the playoffs when Gus metaphorically drove it over a stinger live on tv. The respect for the preceding years is still there (personally speaking). It's a shame what's happening but football management isnt the world's most secure, long term position-Taggart/ManU being the exception. Next season will see 40 odd managers fired and FFP means that a lot of them will not be as straight forward as it used to be. I expect many dismissals to go down similar legal paths as we are.

Time to move on for all of us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here