Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So the club released the statement about Gus's dismissal before telling him?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Is this correct?

From the club statement it seems he was probably aware it was 'pending' but the club released the statement actually confirming his dismissal without informing him first. Isn't this a breach of employment law?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I imagine they told his lawyers at least, and that is probably legally enough, as his representatives. Who knows.

Curious they left that bit out of the recent statement if that was the case.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Gus Poyet has appointed representatives to act on his behalf. They are paid to act on his behalf.

The club has told Poyet's representatives of the dismissal and in this case, it's clear that either

a) Poyet knew of the dismissal and is playing the media circus for sympathy

or

b) Poyet's representatives have failed to inform him (possibly because as the BBC stated last night that Poyet's phone was (ironically) "on charge")

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
b) Poyet's representatives have failed to inform him (possibly because as the BBC stated last night that Poyet's phone was (ironically) "on charge")

I'd missed that. So he knew his dismissal was pending and imminent, but unfortunately his phone ran out of charge. How unfortunate !

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Edit.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Is this correct?

From the club statement it seems he was probably aware it was 'pending' but the club released the statement actually confirming his dismissal without informing him first. Isn't this a breach of employment law?

No.

The statement from the club is very clear:- "Gus was well aware, before he appeared on the BBC, that his dismissal was pending".

How you can translate that to "it seems he was probably aware" is laughable.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
whether he was aware or not I doubt he thought the finale would be on national TV
it was a deliberate act to embarrass him

TRUST I would not trust any of as far as I could throw them

5 weeks and its still a ****ing mess

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the dismissal was/is "pending" his appeal or decision not to. in other words, it was decided, he knew that, only the conclusion of the process is yet to be completed.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No.

The statement from the club is very clear:- "Gus was well aware, before he appeared on the BBC, that his dismissal was pending".

How you can translate that to "it seems he was probably aware" is laughable.

Interesting that you - and others on here - take the club's word as absolute gospel. Why? That is what the club wants us to believe - that he was "well aware" - otherwise they look very bad indeed. Why are you willing to believe everything Mr Barber says?

That is why I said 'probably'. I'm sure if you asked Gus, he would tell you something different.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting that you - and others on here - take the club's word as absolute gospel. Why? That is what the club wants us to believe - that he was "well aware" - otherwise they look very bad indeed. Why are you willing to believe everything Mr Barber says?

forget Barber. there will be a half dozen HR and lawyers involved making sure everything is done properly. the weight of law is with the employee, so the employer has to do everything carfully and by the book to avoid a technicality that leaves them open to losing any appeal or compo claim.

Gus has nothing to lose by mis-speaking, the club have everything (well £2m) by mis-speaking.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

That is why I said 'probably'. I'm sure if you asked Gus, he would tell you something different.

Conversly why are some poster happy to take Gus's word as gospel?

TB and Barber are hard nosed businessman, Barber has held a number of positions at sporting organisations and will be well aware of what he can and can't do. I would be very surpised if Gus didn't know. My mother is Spanish and we have relatives in south America, I've never talked/met any of them but my mother has. They could apparently start a fight in an empty room, they are also blessed with selective hearing. I gopt the impression that she found them all very pleasant ... just very high maintenance.

My moneys with the club on this one

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The BBC and Gus chose to take it on air and pretend he was was sacked on the TV. He was shown the club statement by the BBC off air beforehand.

Of course he was. Just imagine if he had not know and they showed it to him and he took it the wrong way - he'd be suing the BBC for embarrassing him live on air.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is this correct?

No.

He may have been told that he had until, say, 8pm to reach a compromise with the the club or would be sacked.

The passing deadline would make the pending sacking a reality.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
forget Barber. there will be a half dozen HR and lawyers involved making sure everything is done properly. the weight of law is with the employee, so the employer has to do everything carfully and by the book to avoid a technicality that leaves them open to losing any appeal or compo claim.

Gus has nothing to lose by mis-speaking, the club have everything (well £2m) by mis-speaking.

Not necessarily. Why cant the club pursue a claim against Poyet for making a false accusation in the media, and possibly the Beeb for false reporting, both bringing the 'good name' of the club into disrepute?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here