Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Likely appeal result

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
After last season...are we looking at another draw?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I don't think it's about money at all, I think it's that Poyet wants his side of the story aired.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Seriously, that is very naïve. It is all about money. His lawyers are telling him what to do for the best chance of getting his contract paid in full. And then even after that, they may tell him to go for wrongful and/or unfair dismissal, which could be more money. He is being told not to cut ties in public until the appeal is over. And he will be very careful about another job now, the salary would have to be big as it would potentially undermine any pay-off settlement position with the club.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
After last season...are we looking at another draw?

Are we allowed to speculate over this?

Surely it is impossible to comment unless:
You know what Gus was "charged with"
You know what Gus's defence will be.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
:wozza:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So WHO acftually hears the appeal? The same panel who heard the original case?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
At any appeal hearing, the accused would have to have new evidence come to light that wasn't available at the original disciplinary hearing. In which case, Gus might appeal, but if he doesn't have new evidence to bring to the table other than 'its not fair' - the appeal hearing doesn't even have to take place.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I imagine so. Think this is an internal appeal. And if the original decision is upheld Poyet could then go to an external employment tribunal.

Or he could win the appeal, retake his position, and everyone would be pals again :) Hmm.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
That's what I wondered? Surely the original hearing and subsequent sacking was done with full knowledge of TB and PB. In that case surely any internal appeal will have the exact same result?

The appeal should be held by an indepent court of arbitration surely?

UK HR law is notoriously about box ticking though. Once had to sack someone who just wasn't working out. I'd have preferred to say 3 months salary and on your way rather than have numerous ridiculous meetings all about papertrails and box ticking and then eventually just giving one month's pay.

As for those people saying 'Just wait until the truth comes out'. With UK HR law and the fact that other than some pr gaffes alog the way Brighton is a fairly professionally run club then short of it ended up in the courts then the truth will not be getting out.

The original hearing would have been held with a Director, the appeal will be held with another Director. At least that's how it works at my Company and I would assume it's the same for every employer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The original hearing would have been held with a Director, the appeal will be held with another Director. At least that's how it works at my Company and I would assume it's the same for every employer.

Thanks.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
So WHO acftually hears the appeal? The same panel who heard the original case?

No other directors of the club not either involved in the investigation or original hearing.
They wont be looking for process errors that will be the job of the courts if it goes there but that original decision was fair, ie not being sacked for parking in wrong space and to hear any new evidence that gus may have.

Would be surprised if they over turn decision and am surprised gus is appealing to the clu , figured he would just go to the courts straight away.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No other directors of the club not either involved in the investigation or original hearing.
They wont be looking for process errors that will be the job of the courts if it goes there but that original decision was fair, ie not being sacked for parking in wrong space and to hear any new evidence that gus may have.

Would be surprised if they over turn decision and am surprised gus is appealing to the clu , figured he would just go to the courts straight away.

You are right, but one of the things a tribunal will look at is if every attempt was made, every avenue explored etc to resolve internally. That's why, not with any real hope or expectation of different outcome.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

He would almost certainly have to go through due process of appealing to the club before taking it to an employment tribunal.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here