Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

F**k it, he's gone. How does club repair the damage?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This summer has been an utter shambles, and all the painstaking good work in re-establishing Brighton as a proper club and forging an excellent reputation on many fronts has gone up in smoke.

You have to feel sorry for people like Martin Perry, who hardly put a foot wrong in PR terms for a decade.

But we can't change that, it has happened - so the big question is what happens now.

And I would say to Barber, and Bloom, that for the next 12 months their behaviour and responses must be perfect, absolutely error-free. They must get this next appointment right, both interim and permanent. They must conduct themselves with dignity, class and media savvy in whatever mess is left of the Poyet saga (there could be plenty of that, and it may be very testing). They must act swiftly to get the fans back onside and give them something to be proud about. That could be giving new manager cash for signings, or making good decisions on pricing for friendlies and Cup games, or both. They need to send out signals that it isn't all about greed and profit at all costs at every level, from parking costs upwards. The next manager needs to be treated with respect as a valued member of staff, but not indulged like some cult idol. The relationship with the Argus needs to be improved, and the ethos of 'tell them nothing' removed. And very serious approaches must be made and reassurances given as of today to our senior and better players who will be asking their agents to have a look around, not quite believing the mess.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yep, it's done, nowt can be done about it now. I just hope we are treating Charlie fairly. Sadly, I'm not confident that we are.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
what is it Charlie is supposed to have done? Is linked to Vicente's claims of being treated badly- laughed at etc.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
what is it Charlie is supposed to have done? Is linked to Vicente's claims of being treated badly- laughed at etc.

Just like his once-suspended compatriots, the charges are a complete mystery to us peasants. Know your place. :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the starting point is Gus. Telling the players the day after the Palace defeat that he's on his way, and criticising the club re his budget gave our Board an impossible situation to deal with. We don't even know what else might have gone on behind the scenes either.

I can see more contractual disputes in the future as the constraints of FFP means clubs are less able to afford to give golden hellos / handshakes.

This situation is the inevitable consequence of a modern, responsible and FFP-compliant football club clashing with a greedy, pre-FFP "money no object" manager and his agent. I'm willing to cut the club a lot of slack over this, as I really think Gus has handled this very badly.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think it can be repaired by appointing another exciting young manager. Oscar fits the bill. Personally sad to see Gus go, but would look forward to the man from Barca coming in.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You have to feel sorry for people like Martin Perry, who hardly put a foot wrong in PR terms for a decade.

You have to wonder if the whole sorry situation would have occurred if Perry was still chief executive. Surely he would never had let it get this far.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This summer has been an utter shambles, and all the painstaking good work in re-establishing Brighton as a proper club and forging an excellent reputation on many fronts has gone up in smoke.

I'd like to be more articulate, but I can only say what utter rubbish.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'd like to be more articulate, but I can only say what utter rubbish.

I'd like to hear your articulate version of how spending the entire close season with an axe hanging over the manager's head, sacking him the day before players return for pre-season training, probably starting the season without a manager, not siging any players, losing good players who were out of contract and the general PR disaster of everyone guessing at what's going on, is anything other than a total shambles?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'd like to hear your articulate version of how spending the entire close season with an axe hanging over the manager's head, sacking him the day before players return for pre-season training, probably starting the season without a manager, not siging any players, losing good players who were out of contract and the general PR disaster of everyone guessing at what's going on, is anything other than a total shambles?

It'll all be forgotten on 2 months. Not ideal, but they did what they had to do LEGALLY, following a LEGAL procedure and ensuring they got that right so they were not open to further action. We lost a manager - it happens, he did well for us but he's gone - move on. Has done absolutely nothing to our "reputation".

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It'll all be forgotten on 2 months. Not ideal, but they did what they had to do LEGALLY, following a LEGAL procedure and ensuring they got that right so they were not open to further action. We lost a manager - it happens, he did well for us but he's gone - move on. Has done absolutely nothing to our "reputation".

It must be great being that detached from reality. We are a laughing stock, and you would have to be a deluded fool not to see that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It must be great being that detached from reality. We are a laughing stock, and you would have to be a deluded fool not to see that.
QPR are a laughing stock, but how many of their fans will give a toss if they are ten points clear by Christmas?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Can we place any blame at all at Poyet's door or does it all end up at the clubs? Does it also have to be really simplistic?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
QPR are a laughing stock, but how many of their fans will give a toss if they are ten points clear by Christmas?

They're not though matey. We are.

Quick question: which football club is being laughed at on some non-UK sports websites that I look at, for sacking its manager while he's appearing on telly? Brighton and Hove Albion or QPR? I'm afraid it's true. Tooting is utterly right.

Personally, I really can't see any real closure coming until Barber leaves his job and not just for having make an utter shambles of this summer, although there's certainly that. I simply think his strutting, threatening, prickly tough guy machismo is utterly ill-suited to our club and its fanbase. And I think this kind of mess could very easily happen again on his watch.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can we place any blame at all at Poyet's door or does it all end up at the clubs? Does it also have to be really simplistic?

Saying what the club have to do from here doesn't imply they are solely to blame at all. They clearly aren't. I imagine Poyet was a very difficult manager to handle, and I will always believe he provoked this situation.

However at the end of the day Poyet's gone, and his prospects and antics are no longer our concern. We care about the Albion, and what we do, and where we go as a club.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

It isn't in my eyes either. Sorry to just sound like I'm echoing Tooting Gull's points but that's because he's right: I'd hate to manage a loose cannon like Poyet: famous, generally liked, with a tendency to mouth off tactlessly on controversial subjects, constantly threatening to flounce off etc etc etc. Nightmare.

But...you get people like that. And he also had enough positives to him to justify his employment. The question is how you cleverly you handle people like that.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Just get a new manager in sharpish, as someone else said, today's news will be tomorrows chip wrapper in double quick time.....at the end of the day managers are flying in and out of clubs at a rapid rate right through the year, this will be old new once the new man has been in situ for a week.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This is what I was talking about earlier. Boo-hoo some people are laughing at us, get a grip.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am prepared to wait until this dust has settled on all of this and see how we start next season. If we don't sign replacements for the players we have lost or could lose, we lose our 1st five games, the crowds drop away, the football is dire and I get wet in my seat, my pies are cold and my beer is flat then I'll concede it's a shambles. At the moment it's all a bit messy and murky but as I really don't care what other fans or the media think of us I'm probably being a bit laid back about it and happy to see how it pans out. Now if all this had happened during the season around the Reading debacle I'd probably feel differently.

We haven't yet lost a match or been outplayed whilst playing like an MA mark 2 team so I'm not actually that bothered.

Things seem to be moving now so I'll sit on here and watch and spout bollocks along with the rest of you.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here