Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"We're just off to charge Gus' phone"

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Pretty obvious that the BBC, and Gus himself, knew that he had been informed either by text or email beforehand. The comment above was made after their conversation so I'm almost certain that was the case.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Also in the bit after full-time he said something like "I had an e-mail and then another one from my solicitor so I suppose that is information."

He knew just wanted to make out he didn't.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
It's in the BBC article at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23022212

"
After the game, the 45-year-old added: "I got an e-mail that I suppose is information at 9:03 and another one from my solicitors; they are now taking care of everything, so I still haven't had a chance to read everything. I can't go into details of the future. It's just a matter of being calm and make sure you make the right decision.

"I've been trying to establish in the last 45 minutes what my rights are now, for example, like, I was saying before, to talk to the players. My situation from 7:30 to now is totally different so I need to inform me well what I can do and what I can't do in the next few days before the appeal is coming.

"From what I read from the statement, I am unemployed, so I suppose [I'm available for new jobs]. My idea now is to appeal and get back to the job I've been doing until 7.30."
"

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I've little doubt that he did indeed know before the programme went live, but whoever thought it was a good move to publicly announce the termination of his contract at such a time evidently hasn't got a scooby' about PR or the consequences of such an action. Absolutely amatuer stuff from the club & a huge PR OG (as the self-styled managerial jet-setters would probably say).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Until their media lovey plays the victim on air. Anyway its good copy for them as it is on all the news wires across the world, great publicity for them.

Good copy would also be tripping him up live on air.

"So Gus, are you saying your representatives did know earlier today? And if so, what did they know and what did they tell you?"

However, Chappers isn't really prepared to probe the egos of the football world for fear of being made persona non gratis himself.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

"So Gus, are you saying your representatives did know earlier today? And if so, what did they know and what did they tell you?"

However, Chappers isn't really prepared to probe the egos of the football world for fear of being made persona non gratis himself.

That would have been GREAT copy! but the last point is the problem with sky/BBC/Sun/Argus etc... they do not want to delve and ask to hard a question because they get their stadium access revoked. Much in the Man U / Sir Alex manner. I have felt that Andy Naylor and Brian Owen should have been going at the club since the start of this, doing proper 'exclusives' but didnt because they would be out on their ear.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That would have been GREAT copy! but the last point is the problem with sky/BBC/Sun/Argus etc... they do not want to delve and ask to hard a question because they get their stadium access revoked. Much in the Man U / Sir Alex manner. I have felt that Andy Naylor and Brian Owen should have been going at the club since the start of this, doing proper 'exclusives' but didnt because they would be out on their ear.

I think you are bang on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Aren't the BBC supposed to be unbiased?

supposed to be politically neutral. doesnt really extend to gaining a scoop where a sports personality is in the studio.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
It's in the BBC article at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23022212

"
After the game, the 45-year-old added: "I got an e-mail that I suppose is information at 9:03 and another one from my solicitors; they are now taking care of everything, so I still haven't had a chance to read everything. I can't go into details of the future. It's just a matter of being calm and make sure you make the right decision.

"I've been trying to establish in the last 45 minutes what my rights are now, for example, like, I was saying before, to talk to the players. My situation from 7:30 to now is totally different so I need to inform me well what I can do and what I can't do in the next few days before the appeal is coming.

"From what I read from the statement, I am unemployed, so I suppose [I'm available for new jobs]. My idea now is to appeal and get back to the job I've been doing until 7.30."
"

Hmmm. The BBC have just changed their article. I cut and paste the above a couple of hours ago and it now no longer appears. I'd never accuse the BBC of impartiality (it's ingrained in them to be as neutral as possible and there's huge guidelines about it) but they've removed the admission from Poyet that he did receive an email. THAT is very curious.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Hmmm. The BBC have just changed their article. I cut and paste the above a couple of hours ago and it now no longer appears. I'd never accuse the BBC of impartiality (it's ingrained in them to be as neutral as possible and there's huge guidelines about it) but they've removed the admission from Poyet that he did receive an email. THAT is very curious.

Sounds like a case for 'Points of view'.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

'Brighton released a statement on their website at 19:14 BST on Sunday. Poyet said he received an email from the club at 21:03 BST.'

was that always in there?

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Until their media lovey plays the victim on air. Anyway its good copy for them as it is on all the news wires across the world, great publicity for them.

Agreed. I thought Mark Chapman's final (pointed) question to Gus - "Why has it taken so long and do you feel they're messing with your career" - tells us all we need to know about whose side he was on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here