Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evening Argus: 'Why I had to sack Pat Saward' - by Mike Bamber

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
saward6.jpg

Gus Poyet may be in the news today. However, It's forty years ago when Pat Saward was sacked as manager of Brighton & Hove Albion manager. The photo above is of his club car being given a parking ticket on the day outside the Goldstone Ground!

The dismissal of Albion manager Pat Saward was confirmed today at the Goldstone Ground by chairman Mike Bamber.

Mr Bamber met Mr Saward and after a meeting with the players, he said: “Pat Saward has been sacked. The decision was made after the game with Shrewsbury on Saturday evening. The parting has been on the cards for some weeks but there is no ill-feeling between us,” said Mr Bamber.

“I have seen Pat Saward. He is very upset and very sick. I would also feel very sick. But we have had six home defeats and are down to crowds of 5,000 wonderful people. No club can live on such gates.

If anyone wants to read the full story, it's on my Albion retro blog at http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/06/24/why-pat-saward-had-to-go-by-mike-bamber/

patsaward5.jpg

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Oops, amended. Forty year ago, of course!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's a good job there was no internet in those days, there would have been a melt-down.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Good Lord,40 years ago.Where has all that time gone?
Oh yes,I know;just look in the mirror!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Does anyone remember protesting after the Southport game

What was the case for Pat Saward staying? Albion looked like they were heading for a second successive relegation.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
That season started strangely, we couldn't lose away yet couldn't win at home. But the attendancies were plummeting so it was a good reason to clear him out to make way for Mr Clough. I think there were only a few days between the two things happening so the protesting was soon forgotten about. Mind you when Clough joined we started playing even worse.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here