Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays Argus - No Real Story

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Andy Naylor said last night on twitter -

[tweet]348931877039644673[/tweet]

There isn't really anything in there we didn't already know bar a few tiny bits of information as far as I can tell. The key points in the paper are.

Poyet wasn't happy when John Stevenson was brought in and got his own way with Stevenson being sacked after 6 months.
Poyet and Stevenson situation came to a head at the Gillingham League Cup game.
Poyet had some justification at being unhappy with the Stevenson saga.
Bloom wasn't happy with Poyet over the Luis Suarez incident but didn't want to come down too hard and rock the boat as we were progressing better than expected, Naylor calls this a missed opportunity to bring Poyet under control.
Anecdotal evidence of Gus throwing his weight around and making demands that insiders regarded as over the top.
The mood changed when Barber was appointed as Gus had some of his power taken away.
No evidence of any stand up rows between Barber and Poyet.
Barber and Bloom annoyed but Poyets constant referencing of a mid table budget.
Something nearly came to a head in the week building up to the game against Palace on St Patricks Day.
Break up inventible moment Reading came in for Poyet even though he didn't go there.

Naylor goes on to say neither side is going to look good after this. Naylor says Poyet got too big for his boots but the club didn't react quickly enough in bringing him into line.

Only other bit of news that we really want to know is Spanish Dave is not reporting back today but is still open minded about returning depending on who is appointed as new manager, Spanish Dave and his advisors are fully aware of the situation.

All in all save yourself 65p and wait for the online article to be posted later today to read it in full.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If that's all that there is to his sacking, then a) seems a weak case for dismissal in front of a tribunal (refusing to deal with contracts aside, although that may be interpreted as a symptom of breakdown in relationship), and 2) why couldn't the board just let him get on with his job which he was doing bloody well. Seems to be some very sensitive souls there!

Where's the smoking gun?

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Spanish Dave provided some great moments last season, but jeez our new manager might not even want him who does he think he is?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Couple of bits I missed but we already knew

Poyet's refusal to deal with the contracts/releases as he said he wasn't his decision (I am guessing this was him rebelling against the whole budget constraints) and that he might not be manager next season.

The club weren't happy with the email Poyet sent after the Palace game (the one that mentioned poo-gate and the clackers) and it's subsequent leaking to the press.

Graymac

May 1, 2013
Isle of wight
Andy Naylor said last night on twitter -

[tweet]348931877039644673[/tweet]

There isn't really anything in there we didn't already know bar a few tiny bits of information as far as I can tell. The key points in the paper are.

Poyet wasn't happy when John Stevenson was brought in and got his own way with Stevenson being sacked after 6 months.
Poyet and Stevenson situation came to a head at the Gillingham League Cup game.
Poyet had some justification at being unhappy with the Stevenson saga.
Bloom wasn't happy with Poyet over the Luis Suarez incident but didn't want to come down too hard and rock the boat as we were progressing better than expected, Naylor calls this a missed opportunity to bring Poyet under control.
Anecdotal evidence of Gus throwing his weight around and making demands that insiders regarded as over the top.
The mood changed when Barber was appointed as Gus had some of his power taken away.
No evidence of any stand up rows between Barber and Poyet.
Barber and Bloom annoyed but Poyets constant referencing of a mid table budget.
Something nearly came to a head in the week building up to the game against Palace on St Patricks Day.
Break up inventible moment Reading came in for Poyet even though he didn't go there.

Naylor goes on to say neither side is going to look good after this. Naylor says Poyet got too big for his boots but the club didn't react quickly enough in bringing him into line.

Only other bit of news that we really want to know is Spanish Dave is not reporting back today but is still open minded about returning depending on who is appointed as new manager, Spanish Dave and his advisors are fully aware of the situation.

All in all save yourself 65p and wait for the online article to be posted later today to read it in full.

As live on IOW I always read the online articles, so thanks for your summary of the pull out.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Couple of bits I missed but we already knew

Poyet's refusal to deal with the contracts/releases as he said he wasn't his decision (I am guessing this was him rebelling against the whole budget constraints) and that he might not be manager next season.

The club weren't happy with the email Poyet sent after the Palace game (the one that mentioned poo-gate and the clackers) and it's subsequent leaking to the press.

Poyets refusal of dealing with contracts and release list seems like enough to sack him to me. I am firmly on the boards side if this proves to be true, everything else is incidental. I don't understand how Poyet believes he has a leg to stand on.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Poyets refusal of dealing with contracts and release list seems like enough to sack him to me. I am firmly on the boards side if this proves to be true, everything else is incidental. I don't understand how Poyet believes he has a leg to stand on.

It probably is enough. The club obviously wanted him out and that gave them an opportunity to say he had breached his contract.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004

plausible

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Still sounds like a simple case of manager and chairman falling out. There is only one winner in those situations. But why,

1. Have we not just done what every other club does in these situations, and sack him, say a few nice platitudes about "mutual agreement" then agree the settlement quietly. Wasting 5 weeks with this "investigation" has just been ludicrous.

2. Why drag Tanno and Oatway into this? There still seems to be nothing that could have included them.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

On paper, but this does sound like a symptom of problems between him and the board, so I don't imagine it is so black and white.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Thanks for that OP

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Still sounds like a simple case of manager and chairman falling out. There is only one winner in those situations. But why,

1. Have we not just done what every other club does in these situations, and sack him, say a few nice platitudes about "mutual agreement" then agree the settlement quietly. Wasting 5 weeks with this "investigation" has just been ludicrous.

2. Why drag Tanno and Oatway into this? There still seems to be nothing that could have included them.

Presumably we haven't 'done what every other club does' due to the constraints of ffp.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Spanish Dave provided some great moments last season, but jeez our new manager might not even want him who does he think he is?

er, yeah, and that's what might be going through SD's mind too.

Who does he think he is? A man who needs to earn a living and presumably be happy in his job?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

really wondering about this myself (as I imagine lots of us are) too?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Presumably we haven't 'done what every other club does' due to the constraints of ffp.

Don't see that. You're suggesting we have tried to find a cheap way out because of FFP. Well, once the lawyers get as involved as they have done here, with a potential ET on the horizon, then you only know whether this was the cheaper way out for a few months yet.

Meanwhile, we have fallen behind the curve on summer recruitment.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
From that article it looks like the club showed quite a bit of patience with Gus but in the end he pushed that patience a bit too far and he's paid the price for it.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
It probably is enough. The club obviously wanted him out and that gave them an opportunity to say he had breached his contract.

I can't help feeling that Dean Wilkins was treated far worse, the only difference being, Wilkins walked away quietly.We haven't done anything to Gus that we haven't done in the past. Poyet is no saint aswell, as he push Sparrow and Vincelot out by making them feel very unwelcome.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If the 'official' reason for the suspension is not dealing with the retained list, then I think its reported that they also refused when TB asked them to do it.

That wouldn't make sense as that would mean we have already decided it was ok for Tanno to refuse, but are still "investigating" whether it was ok for Charlie to refuse. #confused

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here