Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video of Gus interview

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Watching it back, it sounds more complicated. He had been talking to them earlier today. Possibly he was informed but didn't receive official confirmation until the club statement was released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23024271

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not exactly shocked and does not directly answer the question asked that he was informed by the production team.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
He absolutely would have known - it would be a breach of anyone employers disciplinary procedures to announce the outcome of a hearing publicly before informing the employee ! The club would get totally nailed at an emplyment tribunal if this was true !

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He knew it was in an email sent to his people but he had not read his texts. Hmm Gus.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Interesting that at the start of the interview Chappers says "The club have released a statement regarding Gus's dismissal " and this is the first "live on air " that Gus has heard about this but then later in the interview Gus says that he will have to discuss the contents of the email with his lawyers before commenting further. No one mentioned an email to Gus during the interview!! How did he know about an email when he knew nothing about what had happened?

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Maybe I am the only one, but I feel totally embarrassed about my football club and the way we have treated a man who has given us so much. Gus handled himself with class and dignity. However remote a chance, I hope he has a successful appeal and returns to his job as Brighton & Hove Albion manager

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Maybe I am the only one, but I feel totally embarrassed about my football club and the way we have treated a man who has given us so much. Gus handled himself with class and dignity. However remote a chance, I hope he has a successful appeal and returns to his job as Brighton & Hove Albion manager

Where this gets shot down for me is that Gus has been very successful in his job with us as far as it went but what exactly has he "given" us? He has had significant performance related bonuses that recognise his achievements and an improved contract providing a salary that most of us could only ever dream of. We've all known for a very long time that at the point it was no longer beneficial to him to stay with us he would have no qualms about leaving. He has made it clear on numerous interviews that his own interests come first. I have no issue with that as this is just a job the same as any other but it is not right to represent any of that as being "given" implying some right to gratitude for going above and beyond.

No dispute that he's done well in his role at the club but I don't see any mention of what the club have also done for him. Or the players. Or the supporters.

We are a whole world away from where we were when Gus took over but it hasn't been down to any one man in isolation, and I include Bloom in that. Whether we would have reached the Championship at the stage we did without him who knows. But whether he'd have had the chances he now has because of the opportunities we made available to him is just as big a question.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Where this gets shot down for me is that Gus has been very successful in his job with us as far as it went but what exactly has he "given" us? He has had significant performance related bonuses that recognise his achievements and an improved contract providing a salary that most of us could only ever dream of. We've all known for a very long time that at the point it was no longer beneficial to him to stay with us he would have no qualms about leaving. He has made it clear on numerous interviews that his own interests come first. I have no issue with that as this is just a job the same as any other but it is not right to represent any of that as being "given" implying some right to gratitude for going above and beyond.

No dispute that he's done well in his role at the club but I don't see any mention of what the club have also done for him. Or the players. Or the supporters.

We are a whole world away from where we were when Gus took over but it hasn't been down to any one man in isolation, and I include Bloom in that. Whether we would have reached the Championship at the stage we did without him who knows. But whether he'd have had the chances he now has because of the opportunities we made available to him is just as big a question.

This.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Gus is a slippery bloody fish isn't he. I'm not going to pick what he says apart line by line but will say: Gus doesn't ever specifically say he didn't know before and he doesn't confirm the statement is the first he heard about it. He specifically says he got nothing and nothing on his phone but doesn't say that his people had been informed.

Even his later "clarification" is bloody slippery. Gus has dropped and dropped in my estimation. So pleased this is coming to a conclusion now. What I interpreted as an "honest and open" approach to management (with his constant touting for bigger jobs) I now see for what it really was - self-aggrandizement and self-promotion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why was Gus, Smiling and Grinning??

He knew, he knew, does he looked shocked!
No, he's just giving spiel he'd practiced during half time. The club statement says he'd been informed, of course he had been informed, Gus is just trying to make himself seem hard done by.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Certainly looks to me as though he already knew - without a doubt in my mind. He may have wanted it to look as though he was the wronged party through semantics, but he knew. Those questions were all so loaded.

Yep. Mark Chapman was trying his hardest to push gus' agenda with little to no knowledge of the current situation. The timing of the statement naively gave gus and the bbc a big stick to whack the club with and they took their chance. I got annoyed with chapman's question about the club "messing" with gus' career. Apart from sounding like a 15 year old it was such a biased question it was appallingly ignorant.

The whole thing is embarrassing and damaging for everyone involved. The club has lost an awful lots of goodwill over this affair and who is going to appoint a manager who despite being very talented leaves their job kicking and squealing so publicly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here