Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cricket _ artificial turf

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
I don't watch much cricket and don't know half the rules. I do like watching the 20-20 slug fests though.

Given that rain is a constant problem, why can they not use artificial turf for the wicket?

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I don't watch much cricket and don't know half the rules. I do like watching the 20-20 slug fests though.

Given that rain is a constant problem, why can they not use artificial turf for the wicket?

Think you answered that in the first sentence

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

Would that stop it raining?

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Would that stop it raining?

I think that is doubtful, I just surmised that it was the threat of the wicket getting damaged, that was the reason it got covered up. Is there another reason? I am genuinely interested

Very Blue Tits

Jan 2, 2013
The condition of the pitch is an integral part of the game, an artificial pitch (which are used) do take out any seam and spin movement, which would make it a very batsman dominated game, as the bowling would all pretty much be the same. As any village cricketer will tell you, you do play of slow damp wickets but batting and bowling aren't "optimal" so neither can trust what the pitch does.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
OK, so if there was an all weather cricket surface, why couldn't they play in the rain?

Is it because the fielders might catch a cold?

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
The condition of the pitch is an integral part of the game, an artificial pitch (which are used) do take out any seam and spin movement, which would make it a very batsman dominated game, as the bowling would all pretty much be the same. As any village cricketer will tell you, you do play of slow damp wickets but batting and bowling aren't "optimal" so neither can trust what the pitch does.

Thank you. My belief (often tested) that information and knowledge will surface in a thread on NSC has been upheld (for today!)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think an all weather stadium for cricket would be a great idea, why isn't there one?

Very Blue Tits

Jan 2, 2013
could play indoors as well:fishing::fishing:

Some of the Big Bash league matches (Australian T20 competition) have taken place at the Docklands Arena in Melbourne, which is a covered stadium - I think a couple of one day internationals have taken place there as well.

As a point if interest, a "sticky wicket" was a description of pitches which had got wet (in the days before covers) and dried quickly, eg after a thunderstorm

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
When I was in the RAF serving in Aden in the Middle East in 1966, Dunlop came and layed an artificial pitch that was very experimental. It took spin very well and my preferred form of bowling medium to fast, I was able to move the ball off the seam with ease. It remained there until the Brits left. Never heard of any other pitches being tried out in other parts the world where the British forces were stationed, but I suppose it would go the same way that artificial pitches died out in football.

Very Blue Tits

Jan 2, 2013
Perhaps they depend on what the surface is, what they've been laid on, the age of it, how well its been maintained, etc - in my experience they've been pretty up and down with little variation. Admittedly its been a while since I've played on one.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
OK, so if there was an all weather cricket surface, why couldn't they play in the rain?

Is it because the fielders might catch a cold?

Even with an artificial wicket wet weather softens the ball making gripping it difficult for bowlers (especially spinners)
A soft ball also means making scoring shots is more difficult for the batsmen.
It would also make fielding far more difficult due to slipping as well as buggering up the bowlers run-ups (unless they were also all weather).
Aside from all that no reasons at all.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Even with an artificial wicket wet weather softens the ball making gripping it difficult for bowlers (especially spinners)
A soft ball also means making scoring shots is more difficult for the batsmen.
It would also make fielding far more difficult due to slipping as well as buggering up the bowlers run-ups (unless they were also all weather).
Aside from all that no reasons at all.

There are plenty of other sports that contest with 'difficult' weather conditions. The only genuine reason for not playing a T20 should be that it is dangerous.

For a Test Match perhaps you should also take into account the amount of time available, and the possible significant damage to the pitch if you continue in the rain.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here