Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting to Division One: Alan Mullery's transfer budget

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's often commented that unlike his predecessors, Alan Mullery had a massive transfer budget to get Brighton & Hove Albion into the top division. Trying to get beyond the opinion, I wanted to see to what extent this was true and have (to the best of my ability) tried to collate all the incomings and outcomings from 1976/77 to the end of 1978/79:

In
Steele £19,000
Lawrenson £112,000
Ruggiero £30,000
Potts £14,000
Williams swop
Clark £30,000
Maybank £238,000
Poskett £60,000
Sayer £100,000
Ryan £80,000
Chivers £15,000

Total: 700,000

Out
Beal free
Kinnear free
Cross Swop
Wilson Swop
Binney Free
Towner 65,000
Ruggiero Free
Potts £37,000
Mellor £30,000
Fell Swop

Total 132,000

At the time, would a deficit of £568,000 for transfer dealings of a Third/Second Division club be considered massive or a reasonable figure? Certainly Pat Saward didn't spend anything like this when Brighton reached Division Two earlier on in the decade.

Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I never realised Maybank cost so much! Wouldn't be with £240k today, let alone 35 years ago!

HEY!!!!

To be fair he scored some very important goals and more than repaid the £238K. Luton away for a point, first goal Blackburn home.

In terms of the transfer dealings, there is no doubt Mullery could spot a player. I'm not sure on some of those figures though.....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It is often forgotten that Maybank scored as many goals as Ward did in the league season that took Brighton to the top flight.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Lawenson was a massive signing for a 3rd div 'unknown'. Sayers showed that we were big spenders, buying a star player from a rival club. Maybank seemsed a bit silly and I reckon there was a bit of Mullers helping out his old club, Fulham.

Back in those days teams bought 3 or 4 players a season and teams evolved, rather than today where It's almost expected there will be 6-8 signings pre season and another 3-4 in the Jan window. Mullery inherited a very good team and many of those 3rd div players went on to play at div 1 level.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A pint of beer in 1977 in our pub was 27p, in 2007 it was £2.70 so using that very rough scale.....Mullers spent the equivalent of £5.68m.

My maths could be waaaaaaaay out as regards inflation, but if it is somewhere near then its probably a little less than Gus has spent. The only difference being that Mullery actually achieved his objective before he flounced.

:)

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The general consensus is that when we came up from the third division we were considered to be pretty big spenders. The hundred thousand for Lawrenson was the example often cited. "How many clubs that come up from the third division can afford to splash 100 grand on a single player? " was the question often asked. And it was for a 3rd division player as well! (Remember at this time the UK record transfer was I think the £500,000 Liverpool paid Hamburg for Kevin Keegan. Prior to that the record had been the £375,00 Everton paid Birmingham for Bob Latchford!)

As an aside the club also replaced the floodlights before that first season in division two.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
A pint of beer in 1977 in our pub was 27p, in 2007 it was £2.70 so using that very rough scale.....Mullers spent the equivalent of £5.68m.

My maths could be waaaaaaaay out as regards inflation, but if it is somewhere near then its probably a little less than Gus has spent. The only difference being that Mullery actually achieved his objective before he flounced.

But relative to the spending of the day v now, I'd say Mullery had more resources at his disposal.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Mullers certainly could spot a player

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So would the Craig Mackail-Smith signing for about £2.5 million be roughly the equivalent of the £238,000 we paid for Maybank in late 1977?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
At the time the fee we paid for Teddy Maybank was enormous.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Your maths are irrelevant really. There is FAR more money in football now than there was in the 1970s and you can't just use 'beer inflation' to compare transfer budgets and resources.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I reckon so....CMS is the new Teddy Maybank.

:wink:

Poor first touch, works hard. Occasional spells where he is amongst the goals. Yes!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Going by the measuring worth website, Maybank cost around 1.6 million going by the 2010 retail price index.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Back then Bamber and Wickenden were considered the wealthiest partnership in English football, how true that is I haven't a clue.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here