Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I am worried that we are to cocky and the Aussies will be hard to beat. What do you think the outcome of the test series. Could someone set up a competition predicting Matt Priors catches and runs ,to take my mind of the Gus Saga .:drama::facepalm:

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
It will still be tough because its the Aussies but we are favourites. Mickey Arthur does seem to have a high opinion of his team though, based upon this hilarious line in the week "we have the best all round bowling attack in the world" classic!

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
They will be hard to beat. Our press are overconfident at the moment. Hopefully that won't rub off on the players. It will definitely be a battle. If Swann and Petersen stay fit and fire we should be too good for them. However it will be close

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Any cockiness will disappear on the first day, if the cockiness translates to a poor performance! Not sure that we are cocky though - our poor performance in the winter will have seen to that.

It will be a good, close series.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Their pace bowling attack looks good on paper but is untested in the kind of cauldron that will be these Ashes games and they don't have a quality spinner. Their batting looks fairly fragile although they have drafted in Healy for some serious sledging and lower order runs and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ponting being called back in if they fu*k up the first test.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We may have the odd bad day or two over the summer but overall we ARE a better all round team. We might even lose a Test but I think we have enough about us to come through.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
It somewhat depends on Michael Clarke. No Clarke, and I can't see the Aussies posting good enough totals consistently to win the series if all our bowlers stay fit. Hopefully Clarke will be fit and we'll get the battle the Ashes deserves. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ponting back too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I agree Michael Clarke has to be fit for them to compete. On the other hand we are still stronger even without Pietersen and Swann. Regarding our winter Tests, I remember a stunning fightback against India and a hard battle against New Zealand. My only concerns are the tetchiness of the management and squad when facing press criticism.

I have 2 days at each of the 5 Test venues and looking forwatd to a lot of drinking.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People being overly cautious here. Their batting lineup is seriously shit. Siddle, Harris, Pattinson and Starc are all good bowlers but the top order that will let them down.

D

Deleted member 18477

Ponting? Unlikely, He's just announced he's retiring from all forms of the game!

If Australia call Ponting back it will really show how weak they are. If Australia want to win a number of Ashes in a row again... They will need to play without Ponting and give their young players the experience they need for the future!

Australia are an ok cricket team. England are an excellent cricket team. Especially in the test format! I fully expect England to win the series...

They should also win the Ashes series in Australia over this coming winter (2013-2014)... However in Australia... Who knows!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Cook, Trott, Prior, Swann and Anderson would get into a World Test XI, Clarke would be the only Aussie within sniffing distance.

How the mighty have fallen!

Hopefully Flower will keep their feet on the ground and injuries/weather permitting it could well be 3-1 or 4-1 to England.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Their pace bowling attack looks good on paper but is untested in the kind of cauldron that will be these Ashes games and they don't have a quality spinner. Their batting looks fairly fragile although they have drafted in Healy for some serious sledging and lower order runs and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ponting being called back in if they fu*k up the first test.

Presume you meant Haddin, not Healy? Or is there another Healy I don't know about other than Ian.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well it looks like KP is getting some nice batting practice in today. Currently 177no

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It somewhat depends on Michael Clarke. No Clarke, and I can't see the Aussies posting good enough totals consistently to win the series if all our bowlers stay fit. Hopefully Clarke will be fit and we'll get the battle the Ashes deserves. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ponting back too.

If Carke isn't fit, Australia simply won't score enough runs.

Can't see Ponting coming back

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
For those of you in Europe (and Latin America), you can watch the ashes live on YouTube, you lucky buggers..... Don't have a link but they announced it during coverage of Durham v Derbyshire. ECB press release apparently....

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Their bowling certainly has the ability to cause us problems as long as it stays injury free, though they don't appear to have much to worry England in the spin department (and that normally doesn't take too much.)

Australia will need to stop the England grinders making big scores (Cook, Trott, Root & to an extent Bell.) They also need England to have an off series with the ball, I'd say 2 of England's starting 4 need to bowl poorly to give the Aussie's a chance.

Australia will be competitive though. I think 3-1 England will be how it ends up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here