Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Info on a player from way back in the day....

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
This is a massive long shot, maybe someone knows somebody who has access to records of players from the past (if such a thing exists)

Im looking for information about the playing career of a guy called Stelios Platonos AKA Stelios Kalamares. He was the first greek player to play in England, starting off in the late 1940's playing for the mighty gulls (previously played for Panathanikos and later Tottenham). He also ran a number of Greek restaurants in central London during the 60's & 70's.

Im asking due to the fact i used to live in Greece when i was younger and he was a well known figure on the Island (Paros) that i lived on, and during the time i lived there i saw him as a sort of surrogate grandad so to speak (that sounds weird i know).

He died a couple of years ago and i randomly came across his obituary online today and it stated he played for Brighton. I was about 5-6 when i lived there and wasnt even a Brighton fan then so i obviously never delved into his footballing career.

If anyone has any information it be greatly appreciated.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I can find no record of him at all in the books.

I'm pretty sure us oldies would have heard of him even if we hadn't seen him play in the 40's. Back then all footballers were called Alf or Bert or Nobby, somebody called Stelios would have stuck out like a sore thumb, and would have been well known.

And even Wikipaedia hasn't heard of him. Have you tried asking Julian Asange?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This is a massive long shot, maybe someone knows somebody who has access to records of players from the past (if such a thing exists)

Im looking for information about the playing career of a guy called Stelios Platonos AKA Stelios Kalamares. He was the first greek player to play in England, starting off in the late 1940's playing for the mighty gulls (previously played for Panathanikos and later Tottenham). He also ran a number of Greek restaurants in central London during the 60's & 70's.

Im asking due to the fact i used to live in Greece when i was younger and he was a well known figure on the Island (Paros) that i lived on, and during the time i lived there i saw him as a sort of surrogate grandad so to speak (that sounds weird i know).

He died a couple of years ago and i randomly came across his obituary online today and it stated he played for Brighton. I was about 5-6 when i lived there and wasnt even a Brighton fan then so i obviously never delved into his footballing career.

If anyone has any information it be greatly appreciated.

Where is this online obituary?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Where is this online obituary?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/stelios-platonos-478623.html

As a teenager, he had had trials for Panathinaikos FC, although volleyball was his first love. When he returned to England after the war he played football for Brighton and Hove Albion in the old First Division and made two appearances for Tottenham Hotspur in the 1948/49 season as an amateur. He ended as player-manager for Falmouth FC, in the old Third Division South.

Shoddy journalism.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/stelios-platonos-478623.html

As a teenager, he had had trials for Panathinaikos FC, although volleyball was his first love. When he returned to England after the war he played football for Brighton and Hove Albion in the old First Division and made two appearances for Tottenham Hotspur in the 1948/49 season as an amateur. He ended as player-manager for Falmouth FC, in the old Third Division South.

Shoddy journalism.

clearly wrong as it took us another thirty years to get to the first division. I suspect after reading this obituary that he might have made up his own back story ???

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Torquay Utd are "the Gulls" brighton are the "Seagulls" get it right please !! :)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I bet the Faye Dunaway anecdote is made up as well.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Oh well seems like someone was bullshitting to make his life sound a bit more interesting.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5782664 said:
His orbituary in Paros Life doesnt mention football at all - weird!

http://paroslife.parosweb.com/story.html?issue=92&story=1608

Out of curiosity, whereabouts in Paros did you live? My parents live in Aliki/Ageria. I'm off there in a week or so, can't wait! :clap:

Just on the outskirts of Parokia. Aliki is a very nice village, if i remember correctly an amazing taverna right by the little jetty. This is going back 20 odd years so probably changed since then.
Hopefully going there this summer myself if i can persuade the g/f that its really not that hot and she wont burn to a crisp. Her idea of a perfect holiday is somewhere mild and rainy. So here pretty much.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The sub-editor and the 'journalist' need to sort themselves out. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of football would know the Brighton and Falmouth bits are inaccurate. A quick check about Tottenham would also show the Spurs bit is bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here