Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It will be Oscar or Sherwood

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
:thumbsup: Perhaps the iPad spelling thingy is prophetic and we have a beautiful weekend to come (with some Oscar-action thrown in)

Love your optimism TSB :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't understand this obsession everyone has with 'Spanish'. Can somebody explain?

A lot of our key players speak Spanish as their first / only language.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I don't understand this obsession everyone has with 'Spanish'. Can somebody explain?

Whoever comes in will be inheriting several Spanish players, or at least several players brought up in the Spanish League, unless of course they decide to move on. These have been players accustomed to playing a more technical game and who Brighton brought in because they wanted to play a continental passing game. Therefore, Oscar as a former Barcelona B coach is more likely to provide continuity, whereas an English coach will probably want to play a more conventional English style of play, and therefore rip up the model and bring in his own players that meet with that philosophy. Brighton I expect want to follow the benchmark of Swansea and have managers who keep but fine tune the same philosophy, as Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers and Laudrup all have done, and quite effectively too.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A lot of our key players speak Spanish as their first / only language.

Orlandi speaks better English than most of the British players. Calderon, David and Bruno are pretty fluent, Ulloa not so much - but he'll learn. Vicente barely spoke a word.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So it's a guy who's only managed in Israel, has never even been to England as far as we know, and would be a monumental risk versus a guy who was a tedious player, looks like a mong and has no managerial experience whatsoever. Great. Nice one, Albion.

Anything constructive to say? Who would you suggest?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Orlandi speaks better English than most of the British players. Calderon, David and Bruno are pretty fluent, Ulloa not so much - but he'll learn. Vicente barely spoke a word.

David - no.
It's also about our style of play. For example, I can't imagine Orlandi enjoying playing for Pullis! OGJ yes. TS who knows?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
So it's a guy who's only managed in Israel, has never even been to England as far as we know, and would be a monumental risk versus a guy who was a tedious player, looks like a mong and has no managerial experience whatsoever. Great. Nice one, Albion.

But dont let the fact that hes won almost everything bar the Champs League with Barca, coached at Barca the best team of the last 7 years on the planet, and taken a mid table team to winning their domestic division inside one year cloud your judgment :ffsparr:

The standard proven English options are pretty gash, I'll let the board take a punt on this and suggest you do the same. The only other decent option was Di Matteo and that bridge was burnt when we took Poyet to a disciplinary. Or would you prefer Harry?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
No, the one thing I do agree with Albion Dan about is that the (realistic) English options are gash.

What concerns me, and I know I've said it before, is that you only have to look at the list of every manager who has won promotion from this division in the last ten years to know it's usually ugly, uninspiring, middle-aged English men who do it. They are the sort of names that we would all run a mile from, but actually they tend to work well in this uniquely competitive league.

Depressingly accurate. Nigel Clough it is then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here