Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin eateries.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Off to Berlin next week. Have plenty to do but would like some recommendations for places to eat/drink.

Chars.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ask Herr Tubthumper. What he does not know about Berlin is not worth knowing.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It was a while ago now but the Prater beer garden/pub in Prenzlauer Berg was nice. Oldest beer garden in the city.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah, head off to Prenzlauer Berg - there are streets full of restaurants around there - offering every cuisine under the sun

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I used the timeout guide to Berlin and found some truly wonderful restaurants, most were well hidden and great value. The things those Berliners do with scrambled eggs! Evey morning was a new adventure!

Jul 7, 2003
Sounds good.

Calling @Herr Tubthumper

HT is currently eating and drinking his way around Brighton on a quick trip home so not sure how much access he has to NSC at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ha. Just seen this. I shall reply properly over the weekend. In the meantime can you give me some pointers as to the types of bars, restaurants, anything, you are after please. Knowing if you're a group of techno heads or a family will influence my thoughts.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Ha. Just seen this. I shall reply properly over the weekend. In the meantime can you give me some pointers as to the types of bars, restaurants, anything, you are after please. Knowing if you're a group of techno heads or a family will influence my thoughts.

Just me and the wife. Neither of us are techno heads to be honest.

Probably after the more traditional of fare. Good German grub/beer at reasonable cost.

Perhaps a good area for street food. I do adore a bratwurst or a schweinesteak.

And maybe a recommendation for a more up market place for dinner. In case we fancy a treat.

Staying in an area called Rudow. In the south, so places local to there would also be of interest. :beer:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just me and the wife. Neither of us are techno heads to be honest.

Probably after the more traditional of fare. Good German grub/beer at reasonable cost.

Perhaps a good area for street food. I do adore a bratwurst or a schweinesteak.

And maybe a recommendation for a more up market place for dinner. In case we fancy a treat.

Staying in an area called Rudow. In the south, so places local to there would also be of interest. :beer:

Thanks. This helps. I have some thoughts, will report back tomorrow.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Depends on your budget but Facil at the top of the Mandala hotel was amazing, might set you back 3 to 400 Euros for a meal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As promised here are a few ideas.

As Man Of Harveys has mentioned, the Prater Bier Garten is a lovely place. This is a truly wonderful and historic venue on Kastanienalle. Eberswalderstrasse u-bahn is a minute away at most. Go at dusk for the best atmosphere, the chitter chatter over their own brewed bier under the twinkly lights is very special. They serve trad food in the large open air area, to go with the bier, but there is also a wooden hall selling trad food in a more formal setting. The Prater Pils is my recommendation. I love this place and have spent many evenings here; my office is a mere two minutes away :)
www.pratergarten.de

A well known bar/cafe on Kastanienalle is SchwartzSauer. Sit outside and watch Berlin go by. And if you have room for more sausage try konnopke-imbiss under the elevated u-Bahn track. Very well known, historic and will serve the Berliner street food you are after. www.konnopke-imbiss.de

If you decide to hit this area on a Sunday be sure to walk along Oderburgerstrasse towards the Mauerpark as there is a market and all manner of stuff happening in the park.

For something a tiny bit more upmarket but relaxed and reasonably priced try Schwarzwaldstuben, This is a cosy restaurant in Mitte which serves up simple home cooked Schwäbisch food like schnitzels. Can be found on Tucholskystraße 48. Again, it's a Tubthumper regular.
www.schwarzwaldstuben-berlin.com

The Rollberg Brewery is situated a few u-Bahn stops from Rudlow. This a small microbrewery making a name for itself at Werbellinstrase 50. They have a tap on site and it is a welcome addition to the beer scene. Worthy of a visit but as one stop on a night out; its small and serves great beer but probably not enough to sustain an entire evening. Nearest u-Bahn is Rathaus Neukolln. Be warned this not an obvious place to find. Number 50 doesn't actually exist; the brewery is in a building set back from the road and behind the waste land where number 50 once was. They have built a REWE supermarket on part of the waste land so look out for this.
www.rollberger.de

Also on your side of town is Oranienstrasse. A lively if somewhat grungy street with plenty of bars and restaurants. Bateau Ivre is my current favourite. http://berlin.barwick.de/sights/local/oranienstrasse.html

Oh, and Berlin's greatest invention, believe it or not, is the Doner kebab. You can find these everywhere http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/4295701/The-man-who-invented-the-doner-kebab-has-died.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5781653 said:
Yaam Beach in Kreuzberg is worth a look, rum shacks, sand, Caribbean BBQs everywhere and a great little 5 a side football pitch. It's basically an outdoor Caribbean beach, shanty town right on the river.

Good call. On a point of pedantry it's over the river from Kreuzberg.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
As promised here are a few ideas.

As Man Of Harveys has mentioned, the Prater Bier Garten is a lovely place. This is a truly wonderful and historic venue on Kastanienalle. Eberswalderstrasse u-bahn is a minute away at most. Go at dusk for the best atmosphere, the chitter chatter over their own brewed bier under the twinkly lights is very special. They serve trad food in the large open air area, to go with the bier, but there is also a wooden hall selling trad food in a more formal setting. The Prater Pils is my recommendation. I love this place and have spent many evenings here; my office is a mere two minutes away :)
www.pratergarten.de

A well known bar/cafe on Kastanienalle is SchwartzSauer. Sit outside and watch Berlin go by. And if you have room for more sausage try konnopke-imbiss under the elevated u-Bahn track. Very well known, historic and will serve the Berliner street food you are after. www.konnopke-imbiss.de

If you decide to hit this area on a Sunday be sure to walk along Oderburgerstrasse towards the Mauerpark as there is a market and all manner of stuff happening in the park.

For something a tiny bit more upmarket but relaxed and reasonably priced try Schwarzwaldstuben, This is a cosy restaurant in Mitte which serves up simple home cooked Schwäbisch food like schnitzels. Can be found on Tucholskystraße 48. Again, it's a Tubthumper regular.
www.schwarzwaldstuben-berlin.com

The Rollberg Brewery is situated a few u-Bahn stops from Rudlow. This a small microbrewery making a name for itself at Werbellinstrase 50. They have a tap on site and it is a welcome addition to the beer scene. Worthy of a visit but as one stop on a night out; its small and serves great beer but probably not enough to sustain an entire evening. Nearest u-Bahn is Rathaus Neukolln. Be warned this not an obvious place to find. Number 50 doesn't actually exist; the brewery is in a building set back from the road and behind the waste land where number 50 once was. They have built a REWE supermarket on part of the waste land so look out for this.
www.rollberger.de

Also on your side of town is Oranienstrasse. A lively if somewhat grungy street with plenty of bars and restaurants. Bateau Ivre is my current favourite. http://berlin.barwick.de/sights/local/oranienstrasse.html

Oh, and Berlin's greatest invention, believe it or not, is the Doner kebab. You can find these everywhere http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/4295701/The-man-who-invented-the-doner-kebab-has-died.html

Herr. That is fantastisch. Will certainly try some of these places.

Most helpful. Thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here