Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Kinnear benefit game 75-76?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Despite only playing for two years at the Goldstone I recall going to a game at the Goldstone which was classed as his 'benefit', I was only 11 and now knocking the half century the old mind can play tricks, but I seem to remember the Albion played Spurs lost 6-1 and Rodney Marsh guested for the Albion.

Anyone else remember this game? Or did I dream it all?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I was there, in fact it's the only benefit game that I have ever been to. I think it put me off, I was bored stiff.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Went and still got the programme...actually thinking about it I have quite a few of the benefit match programmes...must dig them out sometime.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes I went as well. Certainly remember Rodney Marsh. I think we had a lot 'guests' that night, even Jimmy Hill (he called me a 'bloody hooligan' for running on the pitch at the end).

I think the DJ 'Diddy' David Hamilton came on in the second half as well - though that may have been another charity game that year at The Goldstone I'm thinking of.

Leas

Dec 3, 2011
i seem to remember a charity match that was played at the the greyhound stadium , and i think Tommy Steele played can anyone enlighten on that ??

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Great I didn't dream it then, how did Joe Kinnear get a benefit game after such a relatively small time at the Albion?

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
I remember it too. I'm sure Dave Mckay also played. Did Greaves play? Chivers, Coates (no Jennings sadly). I'm guessing, but I imagine Kinnear had some sort of agreement between the two clubs when he signed? He'd have just missed out on a testimonial at Spurs, which was very important financially for players in those days. Phil Beal who also came around that time, though played only a few games, had had one at Spurs. The chance of a testimonial was a key factor in many players remaining loyal to clubs in the old days.

Last edited:

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Didn't he break his leg at Easter 1976 and have to retire - that may have been a factor?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Didn't he break his leg at Easter 1976 and have to retire - that may have been a factor?

I've got a feeling it was before Easter, it was a dark cold night, then again in this country that could mean anytime.

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Nth Stand were singing Rodney Rodney Rodney Marsh.
W*nk W*nk W*nk W*nk W*nk W*nk
Rodney then walked behind the goal put his hand down his shorts and simulated ************ to the great amusement of all.
Was only 15 at the time. Still stuck in my subconcious.
:tosser::tosser::tosser:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I remember it too. I'm sure Dave Mckay also played. Did Greaves play? Chivers, Coates (no Jennings sadly). I'm guessing, but I imagine Kinnear had some sort of agreement between the two clubs when he signed? He'd have just missed out on a testimonial at Spurs, which was very important financially for players in those days. Phil Beal who also came around that time, though played only a few games, had had one at Spurs. The chance of a testimonial was a key factor in many players remaining loyal to clubs in the old days.

Greaves definitely played.....

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
That was my first game. 23 March 1976, Rodney Marsh, Jimmy Greaves and Terry Venables all guested for The Albion. Spurs had Chris Jones and Alfie Conn upfront, Neil Mcnab in midfield, Barry Daines in goal and I'm sure a young Glenn Hoddle played. I don't remember Jimmy Hill being there or David Hamilton or Elton John .I think people are gEtting confused with the Mullery IX V Elton John's All Stars game.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
yeah,I was there

pretty sure Kinnear scored a consilation pen for us

loads of fighting in the North

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That was my first game. 23 March 1976, Rodney Marsh, Jimmy Greaves and Terry Venables all guested for The Albion. Spurs had Chris Jones and Alfie Conn upfront, Neil Mcnab in midfield, Barry Daines in goal and I'm sure a young Glenn Hoddle played. I don't remember Jimmy Hill being there or David Hamilton or Elton John .I think people are gEtting confused with the Mullery IX V Elton John's All Stars game.

Good point I almost certainly am, I went to both ......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here