Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Starbucks in Sainsbury's

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Any one know why the Starbucks in the Lewes Road Sainsbury closed? I asked a woman on the checkout today and she didn't have a clue (and she didn't know why starbucks had gone either).
Surely not because they haven't been paying their taxes - as if a respectable massive multi-national chain of coffee shops would ever contemplate not paying their dues!:tosser:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I think I remember somewhere in the back of my mind, but can not find any evidence to prove it is not fantasy, that Sainsbury's signed an exclusive deal with Costa over its instore coffee shops.

If this is true it may be to do with this, that it will be kitted out as a Costa not a Starbucks.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Can't say I would miss it. Quite apart from the tax-paying thing, I find their coffee weak and soupy tasting and served in ridiculously large quantities (even if you ask for a small cup, they don't seem empowered to give you one).
It does, however, further draw attention to the lack of anywhere to have a sit-down/cup of decent tea/coffee in that part of the world (Lewes road) -- a fact that I was only too aware having to wait for an hour or so on a rainy day while tyres were replaced at Kwik-Fit opposite Sainsburys. Too far to walk home in the meantime, and couldn't have a pint (for obvious reasons).

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think I remember somewhere in the back of my mind, but can not find any evidence to prove it is not fantasy, that Sainsbury's signed an exclusive deal with Costa over its instore coffee shops.

If this is true it may be to do with this, that it will be kitted out as a Costa not a Starbucks.

Isn't it Tesco who have a deal with Costa ?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I don't often go into Starbucks coffee shops but I am addicted to these

55455011_H.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Starbucks local stores tend to be franchises anyway who do pay their taxes...it's the corporate umbrella that doesn't

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just rejoice that there is one fewer branch of Starbucks in the world.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was told the same. Is a shame you can't get a decent cup of coffee in Lewes Road area now.

I'm sure you can get an insulated lidded bucket in which you could carry the required number of pints of coffee you need to get you through the day. How would you have coped 10 years ago ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It was much better when they all had their own cafes like the one in "West Hove" still does. A decent fry up for £1.99 or a coffee for £4? Hmmmm

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A Starbucks opened up in the University (Cockcroft building) in Lewes rd. Maybe this had some effect?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here