Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Day.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What did we all get up too? Waving our flag? Sussex dances? Beating the bounds? Pub games? Songs and prayers to the Sussex saint? Stoolball? ???

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I wheeled a wheelbarrow round my garden, in the manner of St Cuthman. Didn't end up in Steyning though. Then I pinned a round-headed rampion in my buttonhole and wouldn't be druv.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Stoolball ! How would you play that?

Stoolball is sort of a cross between cricket and rounders, played with an oversized table-tennis bat. I used to play in PE lessons at Clymping St. Mary's School.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Stoolball is sort of a cross between cricket and rounders, played with an oversized table-tennis bat. I used to play in PE lessons at Clymping St. Mary's School.

Yeah i remember it now, long handled thing! My heart would sink when that game was pulled out. I always preferred more contact games. We used to play dry ice hockey without skates loved it.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Perhaps we should all have carried out a pilgrimage to the most sacred place in Sussex. According to Wiki the first king of the Southern Saxons, among others, could still be there.

It has been conjectured that, as Saxon war leader, Ælle may have met his death in the disastrous battle of Mount Badon when the Britons halted Saxon expansion. If Ælle died within the borders of his own kingdom then it may well have been that he was buried on Highdown Hill with his weapons and ornaments in the usual mode of burial among the South Saxons. Highdown Hill is the traditional burial-place of the kings of Sussex.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Perhaps we should all have carried out a pilgrimage to the most sacred place in Sussex. According to Wiki the first king of the Southern Saxons, among others, could still be there.

It has been conjectured that, as Saxon war leader, Ælle may have met his death in the disastrous battle of Mount Badon when the Britons halted Saxon expansion. If Ælle died within the borders of his own kingdom then it may well have been that he was buried on Highdown Hill with his weapons and ornaments in the usual mode of burial among the South Saxons. Highdown Hill is the traditional burial-place of the kings of Sussex.

highdown.JPG

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Stoolball ! How would you play that?

The away team dressing room could have been the venue for a variant of the game...Stoolwall

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This pretty much says it all about stoolball

bishopoflondon.jpg

“Will you go with me?
What shall we do there, wench?
Why, play at stoolball.”

“At stool ball, Lucia, let us play
For sugar cakes and wine.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here