Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carp Fishing

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Went fishing for the first time whilst in France on holiday and loved it. Can anyone advise of good peaceful places to do some coarse fishing for beginners? Any advice on how to bag some fish as well would be great as dont really know what Im doing!

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I'm a member of Isfield angling club, they have got over twenty waters that you can fish for £90 a year.
You can get info from Percy's tackle shop in Lewis or Wickhams in East Grinstead.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Don't get dragged into the Carp fishing......20lb line, boilies, PVC bags, pods and bite alarms....booooooreing.......try to look for waters that offer good tench and bream....use a waggler setup to start with, this will get you thinking and feeling the proper way to fish.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
This isn’t really advise of where to go but more my experience of carp fishing in the UK. Carp fishing has become incredibly commercial in the last 10-15 years or so, if you’re looking for peaceful, unspoilt, natural lakes like you find in France you may struggle. I pretty much lost faith in over fished lakes in England, especially when you catch a fish with horrible ripped lips due to being caught so regularly.

My advice if you want peaceful unspoilt spots to fish where you’re not one of dozens of fisherman on a stocked lake would be to give barbell fishing a try on the river, you get the same sport you get from Carp fishing but in picturesque settings and you actually get a bit of satisfaction when you land one. Catching 10lb barbell on lighter tackle on a beautiful stretch of river is infinitely more satisfying than catching a 30lb Carp that’s been dumped in a lake to be caught 10 times a year. Just my opinion like.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Join an angling club that has access to a mix of river and lake fishing. Over a year you will save a load on day-tickets and you'll probably find that the club waters are less heavily fished than commercial venues.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Don't get dragged into the Carp fishing......20lb line, boilies, PVC bags, pods and bite alarms....booooooreing.......try to look for waters that offer good tench and bream....use a waggler setup to start with, this will get you thinking and feeling the proper way to fish.

Definitely with you on tench fishing, especially on lighter tackle. They can be illusive buggers too so much more enjoyment when you do catch one.

Carp fishing has become tedious IMO, I watched the Passion for Angling series a few months back and comparing it to where the sport is now made me pretty sad.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I'm a member of Isfield angling club, they have got over twenty waters that you can fish for £90 a year.
You can get info from Percy's tackle shop in Lewis or Wickhams in East Grinstead.

This, best club in the south IMHO, they are a little off the radar with no website ect, but some of the waters are great. From my own experiance i would stay clear of Swanborough lakes in kingston near lewes, was a good lake a few years ago but now it can be a really hard place to fish! not a 'runs' water.
Alderwoods near stenying is a really nice day ticket water if you can get to fish in the week, weekends it can get really crowded but carp go upto 38lb and they have some MASSIVE perch in there too!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Come out here - huge lakes, full of fish and virtually no fisherman. I can even sell you a house!

Do you mean you haven't had the lakes cleaned out of fish by eastern Europeans and the unemployed, for food......they have started that here, *******s.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Come out here - huge lakes, full of fish and virtually no fisherman. I can even sell you a house!
When I win the lottery, I'll give you a call!

Cat Fish, definitely join a club. A lot of them have teach ins, with members who will guide you regards setup, methods, bait etc. You go into a tackle shop and you'll see a vast array of gear, a lot of it to catch anglers, rather than fish.
Another thing is to visit a day ticket water (not to fish it). Occasionally you will find a friendly angler willing to talk to you.
I'd normally say tag along with me and my fishing crew, but as I've done my back in I'm not fishing at the moment

Do you mean you haven't had the lakes cleaned out of fish by eastern Europeans and the unemployed, for food......they have started that here, *******s.

Nope, no Eastern Europeans here, just local Spanish people. We are not talking Costa de Sol here, this is rural Spain.

Two huge rivers full of lakes and fish, the southern one is the Guadiana which does have some orghanised fishing such as http://www.extremafishingspain.com/

The northern one is the Tagus, totally undeveloped and virtually unfished, including the largest man made lake in Western Europe at Alcántara

la foto.JPG

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Went fishing for the first time whilst in France on holiday and loved it. Can anyone advise of good peaceful places to do some coarse fishing for beginners? Any advice on how to bag some fish as well would be great as dont really know what Im doing!

http://alderwoodponds.wordpress.com/about/

No membership needed, just rock up and pay on the bank. Fine selection of fish including some good size carp. I'm looking forward to a good session there tomorrow.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
http://alderwoodponds.wordpress.com/about/

No membership needed, just rock up and pay on the bank. Fine selection of fish including some good size carp. I'm looking forward to a good session there tomorrow.

I love Alderwood. Its run by nice people and you're always certain of a few fish.

It's quite hard to get anything of a decent size out purely due to the amount of 6lb - 10lb carp in there but I have had 2 carp over 27lb from there.

It was mentioned earlier that you can't find a peaceful setting these days. There certainly are some out there but you have to do some digging because people won't want to give away locations.

Carp fishing for me is my main way to chill out. A nice 48 or 72hr session can do wonders in reducing stress levels.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
There's also a fantastic farm lake just north of Ashington, lots of decent carp and tench along with some monster perch.

If any one wants the details PM me.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Commercial carp fisheries are not that peacefull these days and you dont need much knowledge to catch carp on them , places like framfield for instance are chokkablock full of no lipped carp where they have been caught thousands of times and put up little resistance , a good place to visit if you want to bag up , but it will not improve you're overall angling knowledge as to be honest you could catch them with a bare hook .

Best advice would be to join a AC such as Isfield as somebody mentioned , who have some lovely quiet waters of varying difficulty , dont get pre occupied with carp fishing experiment with all types of baits and keep the terminal tackle as simple as possible to start with , its like anything the more you go the more you will learn , keep a notebook of conditions , bait , rigs ect over the season to improve catches for the next season .

Some blank sessions have taught me more about fishing than the trips that produce loads of fish so dont worry if you do not bag up every trip .

Tight lines

Dont be afraid to ask people fishing to share info with you , some will give you the runaround but most ive met over the years will gladly help you out with the odd bit of on the spot knowledge.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
If you really want an authentic angling experience, join Balcombe Flyfishers. The club has a stretch of Ouse tributary between Cuckfield and Balcombe. Strictly upstream dry fly and nymph, chest waders and tricky casting. Rewarding though, I took 9 brown trout to 4 pound last Sunday in a two hour session.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here